• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Wait, I'm confused. So I just went over there and...did you just ask for someone to fight and the whole thing blew up?
Exactly
Do what I do when confronted with vehement antagonism and unflinching obstinacy:

Chuckle and choose to believe that it's satire.

They're a very abrasive, albeit tight-knight, community.
Translation there babies.

@The Soulless One I love everyone of you.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Translation there babies.
If they're being a collective **** to you, laugh at it and tell yourself that's part of the joke. :3

The Suckerfish in Splatoon's single-player is the most annoying thing in existence.
Wait 'til you encounter the Octostriker.

Then we can talk.

Last edited:

Matsushi

True Blood
i want to believe

i want to believe that there is more than just

this

stillness

the emptiness of a fading glass

the hollow whining of the fragile pane

that splinters

shatters

tearing cold rapture in the name

in the name of

us

the frigid depths of this

virgin womb

that i could not see

could not hold

not once

did i cry for you

i heard them cry for us

i reflected

reduced

conceived

and wrought

i fought

and prayed

and was delivered

and in my deliverance

i was relieved

the duties i had wished for

scoured upon the roads

i dreamt of bright things

and future sight

and in my folly

i was delivered

i am free now

god

have mercy

oh god

god

have mercy

on your humble servant

i know now what i shall do

to plant the vine of our fruit

claim the ripe days

of what will yet remain

i will try again

i will never yield

i will yet have my hope

Yes, there is a meaning behind this poem.

I'll let you all figure it out as you see fit.
This poem is remarkable and I really wish it was possible to like it more than once. It was simply breathtaking, and I almost felt a voice behind it. I love it dearly, and I will definitely keep looking back at it. :3

Anyway, I really hope you're all having a wonderful morning/evening, lovely tacticians! My day has been content; finished my English Language exam and I was amazed at how much I wrote without it becoming unreadable towards the end.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Random Question of the Day: Why is it that Kamui seems to be a Manakete, but none of his siblings are?

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Random Question of the Day: Why is it that Kamui seems to be a Manakete, but none of his siblings are?
This is very easily explained by Kamui receiving dominant genes and his siblings receiving recessive genes.

Don't get it? Here's Liquid to explain.

genes.PNG

:cheep:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
He's inherited the power from a dragon who started Hoshido.

Kinda like Falchion, but with a Dragon Stone. :/

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Because no one loves you.

I just see these things and I can't help myself.
This is very easily explained by Kamui receiving dominant genes and his siblings receiving recessive genes.

View attachment 54606

This seems like the most likely answer. Maybe we'll learn more about the genetics of manaketes in if.

Last edited:

SBphiloz4

Gatekeeper of the Shadows
NNID
SBphiloz4
3DS FC
3325-2450-2084
Still waiting for the possible option to marry the female version of myself in Fire Emblem: If

In other news, a few days ago I went to a gaming convention and found these lovely people~

IF COSPLAY IS ALREADY HAPPENING

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
"thisiswhyimbroke.com"

That fits well considering the image is broken.

:dazwa:
fixed!
Still waiting for the possible option to marry the female version of myself in Fire Emblem: If

In other news, a few days ago I went to a gaming convention and found these lovely people~

Soon........

These are amazing though!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

That's cool.

Call me when it tops this.

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I don't normally watch Xanadu but holy crap, Xanadu has 140+ entrants this time despite being a local. And our boy Nairo is in it. *Watching intensifies*

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I was going to make this joke before leaving for college but my internet crapped on me, and now I see it might have some context
Lonk Boards
[collapse= potential offensive word]
<censor dodge>
[/collapse]
Robin Boards

Last edited by a moderator:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hey guys, why not come over to the Rate Their Chances Thread. It's Young Link's day today!!! Please?

Also the Robin that braved Hell itself just to rescue a friend!

Can't wait to feed my units some Pokepuffs~ :troll:
Well.....

I was going to make this joke before leaving for college but my internet crapped on me, and now I see it might have some context
Lonk Boards

[/collapse]
Robin Boards
100% true this^

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Lonk Boards
<censor dodge>
[/collapse]
Robin Boards
Although I am not personally offended, putting a censor dodge within a spoiler tag doesn't really make it ok.

Removed it for you.

THAT SAID, I am in the mood for Smash.

If one of you wants to play me on Wii U, I am willing to play for the next hour or so.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Although I am not personally offended, putting a censor dodge within a spoiler tag doesn't really make it ok.

Removed it for you.

THAT SAID, I am in the mood for Smash.

If one of you wants to play me on Wii U, I am willing to play for the next hour or so.
I can play for a bit. Maybe not an entire hour but a bit.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Thanks for the matches @ Raziek Raziek . I was actually gonna try to hit you up in the training thread for a session this week but it looks like I got it just now anyways. I recorded most, if not all, of our matches so I will be sure to look them over again and study them. Any feedback would also be appreciated. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Oh look! It's Smashboards not notifying me about this thread's movimentation again and making me lose discussion!
:( I honestly I have no idea how notification in this site works sometimes. It still notifies me of, say, people answering on the Robin guide that was posted on News some weeks ago, but it fails to notify me of this thread sometimes, even when I had just posted here.

Anyway

View attachment 54606

Actually, Kamui would've received both recessive genes while his Hoshido siblings got both dominant one/or one dominant and one recessive.
That's what it seems, anyway, considering dominant genes tend to be 'stronger' than the recessive ones and get 'priority' over them when paired, and no other character seems to be a manakete.
But hey, are we really discussing the game's biology?:estatic:For all we know IS can make up anyhting to explain this.

imo the best Robin cosplay:
:^)
Related

Yes, I just wanted a excuse to post this. This comic also reminds of Yune a lot

and weird japanese stuff of the day.:roll:

Last edited:

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Thanks for the matches @ Raziek Raziek . I was actually gonna try to hit you up in the training thread for a session this week but it looks like I got it just now anyways. I recorded most, if not all, of our matches so I will be sure to look them over again and study them. Any feedback would also be appreciated. Thanks again!
Short version:

You need to work on your positioning. You were doing fairly well boxing with me most of the time, but then either you would give up positioning or I could take it from you fairly easily. If you re-watch the replays, you'll see me do a lot of single-shot SpeedThunder or like, Speed Thunder x2 -> walk up Arcfire, etc. Get people to shield, pop them up, move forward a little bit. Space is a commodity.

Related to the above, work on your movement, you're not as fast/fluid as you need to be. Robin doesn't have a lot to work with in the raw numbers department, so you need to be maximizing the ground you cover with your fast-fall + weave game, etc.

Additionally, don't jump every time I come back from the spawn platform. I hit you with a lot of free Uairs for that.

Try not to crutch Bair so hard as a landing tool. I shield-grabbed you an awful lot for it. Mix in on-stage Elwinds like I do. You used Elwind as a recovery mix-up (going high) a few times, but rarely did you ever try it to stop me from juggling you ON stage.

Look forward to a longer post in about 10-20 minutes. I recorded one of the replays (It's a 3-stock, sorry) specifically because I want to use it as a teaching tool, because I landed basically every single type of edge-guard we have in a single game.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't care about Amie. I want Fire Emblem Super Training.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

ALRIGHT TEACHING TIME.

Teacher's Note: This is in no way intended to shame or humiliate @ The_Cardinal The_Cardinal . Everybody gets bodied sometimes. This is to demonstrate some edge-guarding techniques and point out mistakes to help everyone improve.

Right off the bat, let me point out that you gave up positioning immediately. Not always completely horrible, but definitely gave me advantage for taking center stage.

Next thing: Take note of 0:25. At this point, my 'advantage time' is over, since I missed the Bair. Because I had already used my double-jump, I would likely have to land near you (risking a grab) or get Uaired by you. I chose to Elwind here because I had platform cover IMMEDIATELY overhead in the event that I missed. Fortunately, I didn't, and it got me out of the situation with some extra free damage.

0:50 - STRAP IN KIDS, LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO CONVERT A STOCK ON AN EDGEGUARD.

B-throw is the set-up. Starting %: 52
Elthunder does 1 of 3 things here: Forces out an airdodge, forces a double jump, or hits them, putting them in a worse position.
DOUBLE JUMP GETS USED.
I run off-stage, then jump back on. This prompted Cardinal to float backwards to avoid me. He is now low enough that he no longer has a high/low mix-up because his DJ is gone.
Nair covers most possible timings of Elwind here. I catch him with the back hit, but it's not enough to stage spike.
Elwind. Puts him in a sort of ok position, so I regrab the ledge and do it again to force him back offstage (still no jump), allowing me to position myself for a better edgeguard. He now has literally no choice other than to go to the ledge.
Trump -> Bair. Kills at 106!!!!

Alright, so time to ramble a little bit about Trump -> Bair.

First and foremost, trumpBair does not work on every character. Lots of characters pop out at weird positions where you can't quite catch them with it. The two characters I get the most mileage out of this on is Lucario and Robin. I'm sure there are others, those are just the two I play most frequently.

Secondly, this will not always work. I'm 99% sure a buffered ledge-roll will just get people out of this. That said, that doesn't mean it's bad. It's still a very powerful mix-up, especially if the opponent is not doing so.

But when you can get it, it opens up SUCH EARLY KILLS. Probably our earliest consistent kill set-up in most cases, other than like, Arcfire -> Uair on lowish ceilings. Use iiiiiiiit. Trumping is so good.

Pointing out 1:24 just because it was hilarious.

1:33 - Time to convert another super-low % stock.

Arcfire on the ledge. Standard trap. SH Fair covers most options, allows me to turn around for the grab.
Jump out backwards, threatening Bair. Airdodge successfully baited out.
Jump back onstage to regain stronger positioning. In this case, Cardinal tried to avoid possible Elwind trap by jumping onto the stage. F-Smash the airdodge lag.
1:42, he tries to swat me away from going in for the Nair/Elwind, but I waited.
Unfortunately he used his double-jump, so all aboard the Nairplane.

1:55 - FH Fair -> Falling Nair is pretty cool.

Another trumpBair closes out the final stock.

In general, I also want people to pay attention to how I played reactively in this particular game. Most of the openings I got were from waiting to see what Cardinal did, and punishing accordingly.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
I'm kind of wanting to get some Raz training too now, but I'm concerned that teaching me would be much like teaching Sandbag.

This line in particular though:

STRAP IN KIDS, LET ME SHOW YOU HOW TO CONVERT A STOCK ON AN EDGEGUARD.
This amuses me so much.

Thank you for the info and the humor, Raz.

Top Bottom