• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Times Square Bomb Scare

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Police evacuated New York's Times Square on Saturday night after a dark-colored sports utility vehicle was found to be smoking and a small "flash" was observed by firefighters on the scene.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0117160320100502?type=marketsNews

Heavily armed police and FBI agents were deployed on the empty streets as bomb disposal experts used a robot to break the windows on the vehicle and remove explosive material. The car contained three propane tanks, fireworks, two five gallon gasoline containers, two clocks with batteries, electrical wires and a 4ft by 2ft metal box.
Link to portrayal of Prophet Muhammad in South Park?

The device, which failed to detonate, was left near the offices of Viacom, which owns the irreverent cartoon series.

Last month postings on an Islamic website warned the creators of South Park - Matt Stone and Trey Parker - that they could face violent reprisals after an episode of the show featured Mohammed in a bear suit.

A posting on the website of a US-based group called Revolution Muslim warned Stone and Parker that they would “probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh”, the Dutch film-maker who was murdered in 2004 by a Muslim angered by his film about Muslim women.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-bomb-police-investigate-South-Park-link.html

Other conflicting information about the possible motivation:

“The Pakistani Taliban announced its responsibility for the New York attack in revenge for the two leaders al-Baghdadi and al-Muhajir and Muslim martyrs,” said the statement on a website commonly used by Islamists. It was not immediately possible to verify the authenticity of the claim.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-Pakistani-Taliban-claims-responsibility.html

If this is retaliation for South Park, my mind just can't comprehend the insanity of it. All my NY smashers, take care.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Fail. These guys take this way to seriously. South Park has made fun of Scientologists, Catholics, Jews, Buddists, Mormons, Gays, Gingers, and almost every celebrity you can think of.

That would actually be kinda unfair if they DIDN'T make fun of the Muslims. I mean, most people don't get all blow uppy just because they see Family Guy showing God as a perv or because they see Jesus shooting a bunch of people to death in Robot Chicken, but when South Park shows Mohammed in a bear costume people start setting bombs in towns.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mohammed wasn't even IN the costume. I think it ended up being someone like Jesus or something right? (I only saw a portion of the episode so I can't remember well)

UberMario

Smash Master
Per many people that have stated this: "So much for the 'religion of peace'".

tko112

Smash Lord
Fail. These guys take this way to seriously. South Park has made fun of Scientologists, Catholics, Jews, Buddists, Mormons, Gays, Gingers, and almost every celebrity you can think of.

That would actually be kinda unfair if they DIDN'T make fun of the Muslims. I mean, most people don't get all blow uppy just because they see Family Guy showing God as a perv or because they see Jesus shooting a bunch of people to death in Robot Chicken, but when South Park shows Mohammed in a bear costume people start setting bombs in towns.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Mohammed wasn't even IN the costume. I think it ended up being someone like Jesus or something right? (I only saw a portion of the episode so I can't remember well)
yea, it wuz Santa in da bear costume

i dont kno y they take these things 2 far, its just a show srsly, liek dey didnt think he would b made fun of someday

Colonel Cuddles

Smash Journeyman
Why are people so protective of Muslim religion? No one else kills people over pop culture parodies of religion? Some of these people have serious issues.

cutter

Smash Champion
Why are people so protective of Muslim religion? No one else kills people over pop culture parodies of religion? Some of these people have serious issues.
Because most Muslim countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran are still stuck with the idea of the church being the state... Western Europe went through the exact same thing during the Middle Ages with Christianity.

:ohwell:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
These people are seriously being ********. Mohamed wasn't seen or even HEARD of in this episode. Aside from the fact that people plotted to kidnap him just to take away the power of not being made fun of, I don't see what the **** big deal is. I would have been more insulted by the **** plot point rather than seeing Mohamed in a bear costume WHO WASN'T EVEN MOHAMED IN THE MOTHER MUKKING FIRST PLACE :mad:

Colonel Cuddles

Smash Journeyman
Yeah Osama?! How bout' we take a Minuteman III and shove it so far up your *** it comes out your ****.... Oh sorry, got carried away there. Seriously though, if this keeps up their gonna start using nukes and collapse our economy again.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I seriously doubt this has anything to do with South Park. Moreover, I'm scared that a lot of people seem to equate "terrorist" with "Muslim". The Taliban took credit, yes, but they take credit for EVERYTHING. It keeps their name out. Even if it is a really pathetic attempt at a "bomb"

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Doubt it was aimed at a the creators of a cartoon.

Sounds like one nasty bomb, dam lucky it didn't detonate. =/

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Times Square Bomb Scare. Try saying that 10 times quickly.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend

They're called extremists for a reason.

Besides, I highly doubt this has anything to do with South Park.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Times Square Bomb Scare. Try saying that 10 times quickly.
I can't even say it once quickly.

Moreover, I'm scared that a lot of people seem to equate "terrorist" with "Muslim".
But...they hate freedom!

This, for all of America.
Well, have you seen some of our public schools? Sometimes, I'm surprised things are still functioning.

Maybe they're not. Maybe the wheels have already come off, and we're just flying on momentum now, waiting to crash.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Like climate change and overpopulation. :ohwell:
Good news on population is that the problem tends to take care of itself.

Although, yeah, we don't want the problem to take care of itself because that would royally suck.

Only thing I don't like about the population discussion is how people from the industrialized "First World" nations always seem to like blaming people from the "Third World" for "over-breeding." Population is only an issue because of resource consumption, and the "First World" consumes way more resources per capita than the "Third World." It's like rich people driving Hummers and pointing their fingers at the working poor with families of ten who all share one bicycle, proclaiming: "You guys, YOU GUYS are the problem."

Way to go off topic, Nino. Let's get back to bombs and people who hate freedom.

UberMario

Smash Master
Well actually, the "over-breeding" is mainly cosidered a problem because countries, especially in the middle-east, middle-Africa, and portions of eastern Asia, are consuming more than they can produce, which leads to many issues, such as water shortages and food shortages. Most, but not all, First World countries can sustain themselves better.

And also I sure hope that the guy that was caught was indeed the person that made the "bomb".

Well, have you seen some of our public schools? Sometimes, I'm surprised things are still functioning.
I bloody well have.
American public schools are awful, terrible places. They're filled to the brim with uneducated, unmotivated scum. All they do is tease consistently. One year in an American public school led me to the sardonic and critical person I am today.

No wonder children commit suicide over them.

Maybe they're not. Maybe the wheels have already come off, and we're just flying on momentum now, waiting to crash.
I'm wondering if this should just be applied to humans in general.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well actually, the "over-breeding" is mainly cosidered a problem because countries, especially in the middle-east, middle-Africa, and portions of eastern Asia, are consuming more than they can produce, which leads to many issues, such as water shortages and food shortages. Most, but not all, First World countries can sustain themselves better.
In my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), famines in sub-Saharan Africa are often attributable to war and the destruction of local infrastructure that results from political and military conflict. Much of the ethnic conflict on that continent can be traced back to state lines drawn by European colonialists who paid no consideration to local boundaries.

The "First World" "sustains" itself by taking raw resources from the rest of the world. About 5% of the human population consumes roughly 25% of the world's fossil fuel resources. That 5% resides entirely in one specific country, one that is heavily reliant on foreign oil imports. The use of those fossil fuels contributes to global greenhouse gas emissions, which leads to global warming, and global warming is one factor that some climatologists have attributed to water shortages around the world. This includes declining water supply in desert regions, such as Darfur in Sudan, and it also seems to be a factor in the decline of agriculture in many countries. This decline in agriculture forces many countries to import their grain. Now, about half of the world's grain is produced and exported by that same 5% that consumes a quarter of the world's fossil fuels, and produces a large fraction of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.

Economics and trade is magical in a way, and it's that magic which sustains the developed nations. But nature and ecology don't care about the value of the dollar. Population regulates itself, though it is a painful process that no one wants to go through.

American public schools are awful, terrible places. They're filled to the brim with uneducated, unmotivated scum. All they do is tease consistently. One year in an American public school led me to the sardonic and critical person I am today.
I am a product of that system, and in many ways it shows.

I'm wondering if this should just be applied to humans in general.
Maybe. I have a love-hate relationship with humanity. The highs are high; the lows are low.

UberMario

Smash Master
In my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), famines in sub-Saharan Africa are often attributable to war and the destruction of local infrastructure that results from political and military conflict. Much of the ethnic conflict on that continent can be traced back to state lines drawn by European colonialists who paid no consideration to local boundaries.
Sorry, I meant North Africa. Subsaharan Africa has a lot of inappropriately used or untapped potential, although it also has population issues.

The "First World" "sustains" itself by taking raw resources from the rest of the world. About 5% of the human population consumes roughly 25% of the world's fossil fuel resources. That 5% resides entirely in one specific country, one that is heavily reliant on foreign oil imports.
When I said "sustain" itself, I meant that the economic and crop loads could cope with a slowly-increasing (or in some cases decreasing) population. A rocketing population, such as the 2.5% increase a year several LDCs have, is very instable and can cause many problems.

The use of those fossil fuels contributes to global greenhouse gas emissions, which leads to global warming, and global warming is one factor that some climatologists have attributed to water shortages around the world.

This includes declining water supply in desert regions, such as Darfur in Sudan, and it also seems to be a factor in the decline of agriculture in many countries. This decline in agriculture forces many countries to import their grain. Now, about half of the world's grain is produced and exported by that same 5% that consumes a quarter of the world's fossil fuels, and produces a large fraction of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.
While I'm not a believer in man-made GW, I'm not going to argue about it, but the re-routing of waters and the increase in dams, ineffective use of land, and pollution have a big part regardless.
While I'm not a believer in MANMADE Global Warming, I'm not going to argue about that. On the other hand pollution, rerouting of waters, poor use of land, such as overgrazing which causes soil erosion, and the creation of dams have a major affect on water availability aswell.

I bloody well have.
While not all people that come out of it are like that, we do have too many people with negative IQs here in the US. >_>

No wonder children commit suicide over them.
This has more to do with poor parenting than conditions, imo, and not knowing how they are in comparison to people their age in other parts of the world that are far worse off.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
They caught the guy apparently. It was close though, he was already on the plane that was preparing to leave. It's almost as close as that time the MI5 chased terrorists on their way to blow up Glasgow Airport.

Jon Farron

✧ The Healer ✧
Premium
ok seriously... WHO THE HECK WOULD BLOW UP A CITY JUST BECAUSE OF A STUPID CARTOON!?!

UberMario said:
So much for the 'religion of peace'
ya, seriously... Bombing people is not peace o_o

You don't see Christians going around blowing up towns because of stupid things like that.

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
ok seriously... WHO THE HECK WOULD BLOW UP A CITY JUST BECAUSE OF A STUPID CARTOON!?!

You don't see Christians going around blowing up towns because of stupid things like that.
You make it sound as though every Muslim has a bomb on them to use to blow up themeselves and innocent people.

As for the Christian part:

*cough*crusades*cough.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
When I said "sustain" itself, I meant that the economic and crop loads could cope with a slowly-increasing (or in some cases decreasing) population. A rocketing population, such as the 2.5% increase a year several LDCs have, is very instable and can cause many problems.
Sorry, my bad. I was talking about ecological sustainability, not economic sustainability.

The U.S. lifestyle is very costly, and it is a considerable drain on world resources. If everyone in the world lived at those standards, we'd need a lot more planets. Unfortunately, we only have this one.

The U.S. is also the world's leading importer, which means that a lot of the world trades in American currency. So, with the most recent economic recession, other countries have been taking measures to keep the U.S. economy from falling because a collapse of the U.S. market could be the collapse of the world economy. In that light, I wouldn't say that the U.S. economy sustains itself. It's all interconnected with the rest of the world.

Though the U.S. itself might be less prone to instability caused by internal population growth, that doesn't lessen the effect the U.S. lifestyle puts on global natural resources, especially if there are more people living that lifestyle. No economic model is capable of overriding ecological limits. But when things start to crunch, it's the rest of the world that will feel it first before most members of U.S. society are aware.

While I'm not a believer in MANMADE Global Warming, I'm not going to argue about that. On the other hand pollution, rerouting of waters, poor use of land, such as overgrazing which causes soil erosion, and the creation of dams have a major affect on water availability aswell.
Whether or not you believe in manmade global warming, the fact remains that temperatures around the world have reached record highs consistently for several years. Manmade or not, it's going to have a profound effect on human life, and since greenhouse gas emissions are most likely a contributing factor, it is within our best interest to address that issue. Whether you started the fire or not, it makes no sense to throw more wood onto it, unless you really want to burn down your house.

Improving irrigation and water systems to minimize problems with water shortages is never a bad thing, but it won't change the fact that photosynthesis and cellular respiration in plants occur within an optimal temperature range. Stray too far out of that range, and your crops will start dying. Then we're all SOL.

This conflict is not about religion. It was never about religion. Wars are not fought over ideology. The ideology or the religion that is used is a doctrine that unites the foot soldiers while their commanders send them to die for a strictly political objective. When you force someone to view a conflict in ideological terms, not only can you divert attention from the political objective, you can also control large groups of people by playing to their emotions.

Edit: Judging by this thread, that strategy seems to be highly effective. Once a population is scared and thinking irrationally, they react with paranoia, taking out their frustrations on a group of people, easily labeled and identified by ethnic background, in the form of large-scale discrimination and bigotry. This forces the members of that group to now choose sides--between two groups of violent, oppressive extremists.

cutter

Smash Champion
Christianity's history isn't exactly all sunshine and roses. Aside from the Crusades, we also have the infamous Spanish Inquisition as well as all the other victims who were victim of being heretics against the Church for centuries. Let's also not forget that science in Western Europe was practically dead during the time of the Middle Ages due to the Church having so much power and repressing anything that went against them (i.e., Copernicus's heliocentric model of the solar system).

So while explosives really hadn't been developed unless you want to talk about gunpowder and things like that, Christianity went through the exact same thing that a lot of Muslim countries are going through right now. And it just so happens that Christianity is roughly 600 years or so older than Islam. :p

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
These threads get off-topic pretty easily. Somewhat from my line about climate change and population. Apologies.

Looks like they've got their man.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Man, this doesn't even look as bad as the worst terrorist attack done by teh... middle easteranians.

These guys went to a school, shot up teh place, held children hostage (they were elementary school kids) and killed a lot of them... this really pales compared to that... poor kids

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Actually I think that was a completely different thing that happened in Russia.

Edit: Oh wait whadda know, it was Muslims that did that too.

Huh, how sick.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Actually I think that was a completely different thing that happened in Russia.

Edit: Oh wait whadda know, it was Muslims that did that too.

Huh, how sick.
Yeah I forgot which terrorist group did it.

Now that's taking it to the extreme.

I just realized, the title rhymes XD

Mr.Freeman

Smash Ace
That's the thing with some people. Their lives become centered around their beliefs, they chalk it up to the belief that their way of life is the right one, and everyone else is wrong.

There's more to it than just that, though.

Smash Master
I fear the repercussions of this attack. More monitoring, eavesdropping, and profiling? It seems Obama took over right where Bush left off on that front.

"Those who would give up essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security" -- Benjamin Franklin.

People play the Founding-Fathers-would-have-wanted-X card a lot, but I think the case is pretty clear cut here.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I really didn't want this thread to turn to religion, and I know it's restricted from the Pool Room. I made this thread solely with the purpose of highlighting a threat that was being posed to NY residents and just raising awareness. But I feel I must just quickly comment on something:

Christianity's history isn't exactly all sunshine and roses. Aside from the Crusades, we also have the infamous Spanish Inquisition as well as all the other victims who were victim of being heretics against the Church for centuries. Let's also not forget that science in Western Europe was practically dead during the time of the Middle Ages due to the Church having so much power and repressing anything that went against them (i.e., Copernicus's heliocentric model of the solar system).

So while explosives really hadn't been developed unless you want to talk about gunpowder and things like that, Christianity went through the exact same thing that a lot of Muslim countries are going through right now. And it just so happens that Christianity is roughly 600 years or so older than Islam. :p
You're absolutely right about The Crusades. Followers of all religions do deplorable acts. Undefendable acts that they seem to base on the teachings of their religion, Muslim and Christian alike. This has occurred throughout history and continues today. It's undeniable. At the same time both religions hold peaceful, law abiding citizens.

However, there is a stark contrast between Christianity and Islam. Christianity is built on the life of Jesus whilst Islam is built on the life of Muhammad. Each religion advocates that it's followers should emulate the lifestyles of their respective figures. If we look at Jesus, we saw an example of a person that was concerned with forgiveness and love. If we look at Muhammad, we look at a man who after his divine revelations became a political leader concerned with warfare against the indigenous Jewish tribes and pagan Arabs of his area, the capture of treasure of warfare and spreading Islam through the use of violence. People cite that Muhammad had to do so because of the political climate at the time. I disagree. Political climates are not an excuse for violence. When Muslims today commit Jihad, they are merely emulating Muhammad. No more, no less. The historical facts about Muhammad detail his participation in battles against non Muslims.

Didn't Christians spread Christianity through violence as during the Crusades? Undoubtedly, any Christian who denies this is lying. But show me where Jesus told them to spread the Gospel through such violent means. Muslims however, who follow Muhammad's example today, are using violence just as he did.

/religious debate. If anyone wants to comment on anything I said don't hesitate to PM me or whatever.

Top Bottom