• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Timing people out.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
I think Wolf easily has the tools to time people out. Especially D3 and Snake who can't reliably catch Wolf who jumps continuously away. Thoughts? I think timing D3 out makes the match up much more favorable and it's not that hard to do if you have patience.

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I might try that later.

EDIT: I don't believe that wolf can reliably time out snake, due to the nature of his grenades and C4/other random projectiles.

I mean, it's possible, but it's quite hard imo...

D3 should be much easier.

Besides, Wolf:Snake isn't that brutal of a mu... so I don't think why timing them out would be good.

JCav

Smash Lord
Timing people out with Wolf is like a dream I've always had. I have some ideas on like Battlefield, and I think lightstepping can be a huge part of this. I think if you were to mix up these "Wolf Tricksies" well enough, it can become a legit strategy.

I dunno, I like to go in practice mode on Battlefield and illusion around to every platform. You have to jump first the timing you'd have to get down. You could go under the stage, wall jump off the thing in the center and illusion back, or just grab the ledge. I really think if you were to mix this up well enough, your opponent couldn't catch you, but it would require perfect control

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I recommended timing out DDD a year ago or so =/

The problem is, that DDD is the only match-up where it's actually worth it. All the other characters we can time out, we **** anyway. Except Snake I guess but I highly doubt you can time him out. It's hard enough for MK to do ...

:059:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Wolf's generally approach or just act passive aggressive all the time. They never camp to the extreme like shooting lasers and then timing someone out.

Dair's hitbox easily reaches well below platforms mind you. And if someone hits a shielding Wolf on a platform then Wolf can Usmash Out of shield OR grab them to bring them up, dthrow, then run away some more.

It's practical. I've always thought of timing out someone, but never did it before. I'm hesitant too knowing my own nature towards playing an already campy game as it is.

Arrows

Smash Journeyman
Gull I'll try that when I finally go to a tourny.
This could change the Wolf D3 mu pretty huge to be honest....

On the flip side, this takes incredible douchiness and patience.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
It doesn't change the matchup a lot because you have to be WINNING in the first place by a large margin to make this work. At least 40% ahead at all times.

One Dthrow cg and the matchup gets flip sided. Same rules apply, just gayness.

Choice

Smash Champion
sounds boring to me. if it works for you guys though, go for it.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
I approve of this thread.

Master sideB (ESPECIALLY long cancels), DACUS, platform camping (Seagull already went over how Wolf has decent OoS options when on a platform, although everyone has all options if you use that crazy platform drop OoS cancel thing but screw that), and general spacing/zoning... and timing out becomes completely viable in several matchups.

D3, you can definitely time out hardcore. Snake... idk. It will be very hard because he has such a good projectile and his ftilt range rivals the range of our bair (primary spacing/zoning tool), but perhaps on the right stages. I'd prefer to just camp Snake I suppose :x

Just... patience. I don't have it, therefore I can't do this as well as I'd like to lol. But if you really do have the patience (and to a lesser extent the technical ability) to time people out, try it ;D

Choice

Smash Champion
platform drop oos isnt that hard to do.

personally, i feel like d3 is actually better at timing us out than we are at timing him out. I guess this could be stage dependent though.

castorpollux

Smash Champion
to be honest, trying to time people out isn't actually a good idea. The real goal should be to make your opponent think that they are going to be timed out and therefore get them to do more risky and unsafe things.

if you can do such things, good things will happen.

@choice

I find that vs d3, wolf actually racks up a lot of damage before d3 gets that first grab

rvkevin

Smash Lord
It really only works on FD, but we would always play on FD so it was always a viable strategy for JJ. And it works well against Diddy and D3, and what Diddy or D3 is not going to pick FD if you don't ban it?

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
platform drop oos isnt that hard to do.

personally, i feel like d3 is actually better at timing us out than we are at timing him out. I guess this could be stage dependent though.
It's not just platform drop OoS, you cancel it or something weird, idr there was this thread in tactical lol. Also, check your facebook! Basically I'm visiting NorCal over break and would like to know if/when you're free lol

And yeah, timing out is rarely about timing out your opponent, it's mostly about getting them to do stupid things in an attempt to hit you out of frustration :3 How does this work so well against Diddy though?...

castorpollux

Smash Champion
It really only works on FD, but we would always play on FD so it was always a viable strategy for JJ. And it works well against Diddy and D3, and what Diddy or D3 is not going to pick FD if you don't ban it?
GDX banned FD against me as diddy kong.

like seriously wtf!

.AC.

Smash Lord
i'll go with the much more common "taking it like a man", my area's ruleset won't allow me to do such things so i just go snake/mk

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
GDX banned FD against me as diddy kong.

like seriously wtf!
namesearching ftw

im sorry, but im not good with gamertags, so i dont exactly remember when we've played before. can you remind me?

but anyway, i ban FD against any character that I know can camp my face off. nothing i can do against getting camped on FD :laugh: at least a stage with platforms (minus SV) i can actually do something about it

Top Bottom