• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips against a projectile spamming Link?

DoubleAced

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I was looking for some tips against a Link who constantly spams projectiles. He stands on one side of the stage, uses arrows, bombs and the boomerang, and then nairs you when you get up close. Razor Leaf is too slow to counter spam and Charizard is far to easy to hit with the projectiles on the way over. I seemed to have the most luck with Squirtle, but he ended up getting blown off the stage during our last stocks at high percentages. Any advice?

berserker515

Smash Cadet
sidestepping, power shielding, SHADing (short hop air dodging) and rolling are options in general. zard has short hopped rock smashes to clang with some of his projectiles (i don't recommend this too much since its such a great killer to waste). ivy only has razor leaf. squirtle has shellshifting and crawling. after getting past the spam it shouldnt be too tough for any of the 3. link is pretty low. start with squirtle and try to get back to him when you die (switch appropriately).

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
I am currently uploading a couple videos against a toonlink projectile spammer and i handle him pretty well. the best thing that I have found that has worked is walk slowly towards him and power shield or shield every projectile until you get close enough to roll + grab, or smash or something. But ya as funny as it sounds, walk towards him power shielding. I will make a new thread once i get the video up, its taking an aweful long time, uploading 2 vids at thes ame time to 4 different websites, 2 are going on youtube, and 2 are going on blip tv because blip tv has much better quality

tacticslord

Smash Rookie
I think it would be time to experiment with some of the less talked about moves for this one. I'm talking about squirle's water gun. Try to fully charge a water gun and wait for the projectile spammer to begin his spamming. While dodging some of his projectiles, pay close attention to his 'rang. Try to push him off the side of the map with water gun (not too hard since he's right there anyways) when his 'rang is flying around somewhere and preferably when he's shooting an arrow. What you're hopping for is his bow to remain out as he's pushed off and the 'rang-catching animation to slow him down more as he goes down. Could be worth it to short hop into water gun or any other approach. Or even a quick withdrawl and a waterfall from behind.

As for Ivysaur, bair works wonders for spacing and for stopping most projectiles. Razor leaf will stop only one, but at least it's a guaranteed stop. Aside from that, not much else for the saur.

Charizard really only has a good rocksmash to stop all but the bombs and a flamethrower to make a nice wall of protection for a while. Still the rocksmash and flamethrower can both be shothopped into (so long as you don't miss him with the thrower as well). Though a good surprise tactic would be to ride the gale boomerang back towards him with a rock or fair waiting.

Lastly, don't forget your main weapon as the trainer is to mix it up. Down B gives you loads a second or two of invincibility and a spammer may be hesitant in trying to approach you like that, since he'd have to get close and risk losing his rhythm. Because of that his having to constantly switch between different types of targets while you getting to pick the flow of the match (coupled with the fact that none of your pokemon need be stuck in a close match and tired) gives you quite a few mind game opportunities.

Mind you I've only thought of these things on the spot. And though I main and love the trainer I haven't actually tried the water gun or gliding rock-smash out yet against spammers. Still they seem to have some merit I think so if you do get to trying them out, let me know what you think. Thanks

mickeyk90

Smash Apprentice
Like what they said^^

Watergun him off the map (if possible off the stage or to the ledge)
and chase him which forces him to play short range

Top Bottom