• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips Against Marth

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
hey, my friend plays a really defensive marth, and it's hard to connect with falcon due to the disjointed hitbox; are there any things i can exploit in this matchup?

also, i have trouble recovering and landing the tech off the ledge if he forward smashes; how do i get around the fsmash and recover consistently?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
what does he do usually when you run in with an attack? does he sheild grab you or does he intercept you?

if he is intercepting you and you read it, you can simply dash backwards (assuming you're fox trotting) and then grab him during his move's lag.

many newer players don't recognize that even though lcanceling makes things seem a lot faster, there is still a 10-15 frame window where the opponent can't do anything. this is one of cf's primary methods of combo starting: bait and punish. bait falco's shine, dair out of shield and combo. bait marth's fair, dash in and grab. its the same tactic.

and if he shields when you approach just grab him. if he rolls read his pattern (people who have gotten away with it for a long time will habitually roll behind you, which happens to be the easiest to punish)

if you are uncertain what he will do, try spacing your nair. when doing this, its better to end up too short than go too far forward. the nair has lots of range in front and covers you for your whole short hop. if you DI backwards and wiff, it is unlikely that they will manage to cover the distance to punish you for wiffing. if you go against his shield, you want just the tips of your feet to hit it, and land so he cant grab. if that fails buffer a dodge or jab.

once you get the first hit, you should be able to combo from there.

No_Face

Smash Apprentice
and then remember it doesnt kill til like 80-90% (when you can dthrow knee), so you should keep comboing until they are that %.
unless you're near the edge, or playing on yoshi's story/some other gay map

hell, i'd still do it just for the edgeguarding opportunities

Bets

Smash Journeyman
dd nairs ****
uairs **** when they are above you
utilts **** when they are above you
dd stomp leads anything into ****
dthrow chaingrabs are gay against marths
uthrow leads into ****

metashinryu

Smash Ace
dd nairs ****
uairs **** when they are above you
utilts **** when they are above you
dd stomp leads anything into ****
dthrow chaingrabs are gay against marths
uthrow leads into ****
man,if you keep pointing out what leads to **** with falcon,you will have to say all of his moves...

0Room

Smash Lord
I like to Moonwalk into baiting a Forward Smash.
Moonwalk into his range and slide right back out.

Not only is it kick *** to watch it's kick *** to do.

No_Face

Smash Apprentice
I like to Moonwalk into baiting a Forward Smash.
Moonwalk into his range and slide right back out.

Not only is it kick *** to watch it's kick *** to do.
u-throw > pivot backwards > forward smash

works if he comes down with a fair

if you're lame and can't pivot smashes then side-b works too

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Yeah, why would you want to be LAME and do something way easier and more effective?

This matchup is interesting. Basically, you want to run around like a faggot until he does a move then combo him with moves until he dies. Also, don't play near the edge.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Yeah, why would you want to be LAME and do something way easier and more effective?

This matchup is interesting. Basically, you want to run around like a faggot until he does a move then combo him with moves until he dies. Also, don't play near the edge.
yup.

dashdance like HELL and run in and out of his range and when he does something you can ****, then...conmence ****.

Mokumo

Smash Ace
I think it should be noted in this thread that you should never fight marth off the stage. Marth has simple but extremely effective edgeguards against falcon's easily exploitable recovery. Ledge teching is a great tool that can save you from a lame death, but it won't necessarily save your stock against a good marth (or anyone else, really).

Top Bottom