• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips against ROB

Klaster

Smash Rookie
OK so I just finished second in a local tournament only losing in the finals to someone playing ROB (a character I have little experience against) The attacks that seemed to cause me the most trouble were his nair, and either his forward smash or his forward tilt (not sure which). Whats the best way to take down ROB and avoid these specific attacks?

Shears

Smash Master
OK so I just finished second in a local tournament only losing in the finals to someone playing ROB (a character I have little experience against) The attacks that seemed to cause me the most trouble were his nair, and either his forward smash or his forward tilt (not sure which). Whats the best way to take down ROB and avoid these specific attacks?
to avoid the nair, either dodge/shield it, attack him before he gets it off, or just run away. i advise attacking before he gets it off, upB works well. his fsmash looks like his laser after he already shot it. its got pretty good distance so just shield or jump over him (dont worry if youre quick enough you can attack him before he gets the upsmash). his ftilt looks like his dtilt but its slower and hit higher. avoid that the same way you avoid the fsmash. i would say his dsmash and nair are going to give you the most problems. for the dsmash, just stay in the air whne hes grounded and approach diagnally to avoid the upsmash and fsmash. when hes in the air just try to attack him before he can attack or punish his lag. or you can wait for him to come back down but i would go for staying in the air against him because if you get him over the edge and force him into his upB you should do good. eventually if you keep him in the air he'll run out of juice and just fall to his death. airdodge the lasers and avoid the gyro all together. dont bother picking it up its not worth it like diddys bananas, just dont let him pick it up either. hes big and heavy, the tornado works well and landing a glide attack to upB to glide attack works good too. dont use the downB especially against ROB, he can just punish you with a dsmash or laser/gyro if youre far away. aggression is going to win this. attack him before he gets a chance to think and keep him in the air until hes dead. watch out for when hes high in the sky, dont chase him unless youre sure youll get him, because a good ROB will hit you with a nair and even if youre at 20% youll be dead (he might try to lure you up there with his upB so watch out). good luck, if you still have problems let me know. and if you can get videos up ill try to give you tips on your game.

RenX

Smash Apprentice
Well I just Faced Hugs In a Yorba Tornement And 3 Stocked Blitz (Both use Rob) I used alot of Mach Tornado Goes Right Through most of robs Attack so basicly Mach N-b and Dsmash with lots of grabs ^_^

sligmasta

Smash Cadet
mach tornado is good against rob until he figures out which of his attacks out prioritize it, which would be his charged gyro and laser.

his forward smash is tough because of its range and strength, but there are a few ways to punish it, if spaced just right, you can get a down a past it, if he misses with it you can dash in on the final frames for a grab, or of course you can always come from above with a trusty dair

his nair is strong and lasts a deceptively long time. as said above, the best way to counter it is to either hit him during its start up frames or shield and wait for it to end. one thing i must emphasize with this attack is that if he hits your shield with the initial explosion, YOU ARE NOT IN THE CLEAR! this attack will hit the area where it starts again when it ends, so watch out for the full attack

some general tips against rob:

his up b nearly makes edge guarding impossible, most likely you'll have to get him to 100+ damage and get him with a shuttle loop. dont give up on edge guarding though, its a great way to intimidate and rack damage while your opponent frets

both robs forward and up smashes have good range, damage, and speed, but both only attack in one direction, either ahead or above, so make him choose, try aproaching diagonaly from above, if he fsmashes, get him with a dair, if he up smashes, land and hit him with a ftilt or a dsmash or whatever you like

other than that i try to stay just outside his fsmash range and dtilt/ftilt him into the air where MK's air game dominates

Top Bottom