• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for a newcomer on how to use Down-B effectively??

Rs71

Smash Rookie
NNID
RS_710
im starting to learn how to use Zamus in smash 4 after getting it on the wii u (i just felt that the 3ds had very limited mobility so she wasnt a good character to me). Im having a lot of fun playing as her and i see her as one of the best characters. I havent gone trough her custom moves yet, but after using her down-b, i dont really see much use of it oher than recovery. i use it sometimes if im in a pinch, jump>double jump>down b>tether. and sometimes, ill mess around with it and try to, i dont know how else to say it, but trick shot [i guess]. it does a decent amount of damage and it can sometimes ground an opponent. but my question is how to use it effectively/consistently. it sounds a bit hard to word out, but i only see it as a "flashy" move.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
down b can catch a lot of people off guard if you know how to use it. its great against projectile users, since they have some cool down after launching a projectile, and it jumps over the projectiles.

i use it as a follow up after hitting someone with nuetral b or down smash.
like you said it is great for recovery.

i made a short video utilizing down be very effectively, allow me to show you:

as you can see, i follow up the paralyzer with down b to ground them, down smash them, and then down be again and kick them for the ko. its such a solid set up.

however, down be can be easily punished. some people with a good anti air can usually beat it out, or someone can shield it, and can punish with a quick aerial.

i sometimes use it as a tomohawk mix-up, where i intentionally miss my opponent, and then forward tilt them after wards.

you can also use it as an edge guard, some characters with a linear horizontal recovery like fox, falco, or lil mac and some others, you can down b to intercept them and if you dont do the kick, it will dunk them into the abyss, or if your flashy enough, you sweet spot the kick which spikes them even harder than the stomp.

here is another video, where i utilize the down b, its pretty much like shieks bouncing fish.
i do use it as an escape once, and even as a follow up to a side b.

Rs71

Smash Rookie
NNID
RS_710
down b can catch a lot of people off guard if you know how to use it. its great against projectile users, since they have some cool down after launching a projectile, and it jumps over the projectiles.

i use it as a follow up after hitting someone with nuetral b or down smash.
like you said it is great for recovery.

i made a short video utilizing down be very effectively, allow me to show you:

as you can see, i follow up the paralyzer with down b to ground them, down smash them, and then down be again and kick them for the ko. its such a solid set up.

however, down be can be easily punished. some people with a good anti air can usually beat it out, or someone can shield it, and can punish with a quick aerial.

i sometimes use it as a tomohawk mix-up, where i intentionally miss my opponent, and then forward tilt them after wards.

you can also use it as an edge guard, some characters with a linear horizontal recovery like fox, falco, or lil mac and some others, you can down b to intercept them and if you dont do the kick, it will dunk them into the abyss, or if your flashy enough, you sweet spot the kick which spikes them even harder than the stomp.

here is another video, where i utilize the down b, its pretty much like shieks bouncing fish.
i do use it as an escape once, and even as a follow up to a side b.
thanks a bunch mean this is really gonna help me and i hope it does to any others who see this

Last edited:

elheber

Smash Lord
NNID
elheber
If you're ever thrown so far away from the stage that you'll need to use two recovery moves and your second jump, be sure to start with the Flip Jump instead of your second jump. You have more options out of a normal second jump than you do out of a Flip Jump, so keeping that second jump in your pocket for when you really need it is very helpful. Plus the Flip Jump isn't as useful if you don't have anyone below you anyway.

I've found a couple of friends who didn't know you could control Samus horizontally during the Flip Jump itself, so they had a lot of trouble with sticking their landing before I told them. And even if you aren't using it offensively, it's a very quick and relatively safe escape option for a lot of situations. It has a few frames of invincibility during the beginning which can help you go through things you otherwise couldn't, like Pikachu's Thunder (down B).

Jellyfish4102

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jellyfish
Its a very good anti juggling and all around escape tool. If you down b away from them throw out side b towards them. This usually surprises people and gives you a free hit. Just get the timing down so you don't accidentally do the flip kick.

Opana

Smash Lord
NNID
PINKYz
3DS FC
0748-3814-1504
I am messing around with Dthrow->Flip Jump, which seems to work although you may need to jump very briegly to reach the needed height.

It could be a flashy meteor smash at the least.

M1nion

Smash Rookie
I love the down B. Like others said above it's great for catching people off guard or just as a switch up move that plants people in the ground if you don't put in any inputs. You can use also over the edge to seen people straight down and if people catch on to you you the kick. It's hard to recover from if you are already in the air but you can get back the edge with some practice ( or you just go off sailing into nothingness)

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
I probably use Flip Jump more than any other move (yes, even Paralyzer shots). I use it to jump over charging enemies (especially Little Mac) because it's a lot more reliable to use than a standard jump. I don't usually kick during the Flip Jump unless the enemy is standing at an edge throwing projectiles. Don't kick too close to the edge or else you won't be able to recover in time. If the enemy is at higher damage then burying them with Flip Jump is more effective than Paralyzer shots. I usually follow this up with Boost Kick to either rack up decent damage or KO them.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if you read a get up from the edge with a down b, you can usually get a devastating free punish

Top Bottom