• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for fighting a very good falco?

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Falco is one of the characters that I've always had trouble with as Ice Climbers, and earlier today I ended up fighting sethlon's falco in a tournament, which I lost to of course. I felt kind of helpless traped between lasers and his side B, and he was pretty much impossible to approach. Well, I guess showing videos of the matches would help show what errors I probably made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2kSHUTSgI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn9OfzdD4AQ

I just can't seem to figure out how to get past the lasers.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Wow that looked rough man. you did pretty good though. Couple things I noticed that might help against a Falco like Seth's, is that your Ice Block spam did absolutely nothing for you in those matches. Seth always had time to reflect them. good job though on gimping some of his attacks with the ice blocks though.

Also, versus Falco I suggest this CG http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZm-En-8tSA
the fact that the video features Falco is coincidental lol but speaks for itself.

I don't think I saw you use the dair much, but as im sure u know, it has insane priority. Might have saved you from Seth's uair kill.

I'm still learning IC myself so sorry if it's not the best advice, but hey, thought I'd throw in my two cents anyway.

edit: Im a Falco main btw :D. As for the laser spam, you just have to submit to it and be dominated.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
Ah, this I did not know. that would make using IC alot harder :(

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
I think they banned CGing, so I guess it's also for Dedede too.

What I find when I'm fighting Flacos are that I have to end up spamming Ice Blocks most of the time; using Ice Blocks is better than using Blizzard in these types of matches, and better desynced xD

Ice Blocks block lasers coming at you but only is they haven't melted to a small size and they also prevent him from using Flying-like-a-bird Illusion since desynced Ice Blocks do outspam Flying Bird Illusion.

But since there are platforms, it's easy to see you're vulnaruble so that's my only problems with Flacos now. And that was still a good match from you xD

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
you need to spam your squall alot more get that SideB going!!!!!! then once they are stuck in it hit your blizzard followed by some quick Csticking. And jump out and Spike that mother ****er!

DYF

Smash Cadet
Try to powershield every laser he shoots at you, wait for the side Bs dodge them, run up with a shield and scare him into spot dodging then grab em...
That is what i would say anyways, but since CGing is banned in your area(with completely changes the meta game in your area IMO) I dont really know what to tell you haha. Matchup is almost impossible w/o CGs IMO.
I played sethlon in arizona, and with some patience I felt like I was able to get my grab in when I wanted to. I think that if I didnt screw up every single grab I got i coulda beat him...

EDIT: I demand that you take these videos down! if the falco in my area catches wind of this play style things will be a hella of alot harder than they already are! lol.

ignore the fire

Smash Journeyman
that looks really frustrating. D:
i wouldn't try to desynch as much because his laser spam.
Its also alot harder to shield while desynched.
Squall has pretty good priority.
You have a better chance not using iceblocks because next to his illusion and lasers, theyre pretty much useless.
The lack of CG's doesnt help either.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
Have you ever tried Ftilting through his Illusion? Ftilt's a relatively quick attack and it's easy to setup a block chaser from it, which can lead into a grab.

I dunno much about the matchup though, since I have like NO experience in it.

Hit973

Smash Cadet
if a straight up chaingrab is banned, can't you just P. dthrow-->N. footstool--> P. ice block to make them stand, then grab? technically it isn't a chain grab since you ice blocked (forget what that AT is called). Otherwise, I have no clue. My friend mains falco, but he's never played this campy before, even at tournies. It was painful to watch those matches :(

KRDsonic

Smash Master
if a straight up chaingrab is banned, can't you just P. dthrow-->N. footstool--> P. ice block to make them stand, then grab? technically it isn't a chain grab since you ice blocked (forget what that AT is called). Otherwise, I have no clue. My friend mains falco, but he's never played this campy before, even at tournies. It was painful to watch those matches :(
Yeah, I'm allowed to do the nana footstool chain thing, I didn't have the timing for falco yet though :/

TKD

Smash Lord
PLEASE stop rolling. PLEASE. Also stop attempting grabs hoping it'll work out. It won't. You have to move more, I recommend for you to shorthop very often. Shorthop into sideB works fine. If that's dangerous, shorthop into blizzard. If you think neither will work you can just airdodge your shorthop.

That was horrible, I couldn't watch it all.

Oh and if you grab at low %'s with your assistant far away, dthrow chain until he/she comes back to finish the chainthrow.

The best chainthrow is the forward throw chain, make your assistant walk up to Falco to regrab him, and make your main character walk up and dashgrab. When you get to the edge, spike. If you have both IC synched and falco has -20%, downthrow to spike for damage and regrab. If he's at like 0% you can do that twice.

The Ice Climbers have the advantage here. It's easy for falco to mess up since he has a lot of time to do so, before he KOs your assistant.

Attempt grabbing if your opponent meseses up too close to you, dont attempt grabbing just "because".

I don't think I saw a single jab, ftilt or fsmash that game...they're all good to get your opponent off of your face when they mess up but are too far for a grab.

As I see it your biggest mistakes were attempting grabs and rolling instead of shielding lasers>shorthopping.

Hope you get better soon!

Hit973

Smash Cadet
Oh and if you grab at low %'s with your assistant far away, dthrow chain until he/she comes back to finish the chainthrow.

The best chainthrow is the forward throw chain, make your assistant walk up to Falco to regrab him, and make your main character walk up and dashgrab. When you get to the edge, spike. If you have both IC synched and falco has -20%, downthrow to spike for damage and regrab. If he's at like 0% you can do that twice.
This is in Houston where there's a limit on how many times you can grab a character in a row.

TKD

Smash Lord
Chain grabs are banned in houston so...
WHAT!?!? So they ruined a decent character? Then don't play Ice Climbers. Chaingrabbing is the IC's greatest technique and the biggest part of what makes them good...don't play them. Even with chaingrabs, it's a struggle against good players.

Why would they ban chaingrabs, that's horrible!

I suggest you play MK? LOL

KRDsonic

Smash Master
WHAT!?!? So they ruined a decent character? Then don't play Ice Climbers. Chaingrabbing is the IC's greatest technique and the biggest part of what makes them good...don't play them. Even with chaingrabs, it's a struggle against good players.

Why would they ban chaingrabs, that's horrible!

I suggest you play MK? LOL
I'll never stop maining ICs :p I use them for the character not the moveset, so I'll stick with them to the end :D

And the grabs are limited to 3.

zippo074

Smash Cadet
Ahh.. yea I was on wifi and he just happened to show up on battle anybody mode.. It was an insane battle.. But.. I was marth and I countered all of his lazers and illusions so he was pretty much helpless ... He still one though...

zippo074

Smash Cadet
So My advice would be too just shield the lazers then side dodge and follow it up with squall hammer and back throw until he hits 80% then belay or side smash then he'll be gone for good.

Top Bottom