• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips For Improving Your Yoshi

Metatitan

Smash Master
Okay let's get one thing straight: I am not pro nor do I claim to be pro. These are just methods I've used to help improve my yoshi (or peach or zss for that matter). I wouldn't call them yoshi-specific but I've seen a few yoshies that really could use tips on how to improve
Airborne
. If anyone has their own means by improving feel free to leave a comment saying so, I'll add it.

Step One: Wifi

Eewwww wifi. Regardless of how much we hate it, wifi does let us practice our options. In fact, for anyone who needs drastic improvement, I suggest only wifi. No matter how much better offline is, online is extremely convenient (I mean it's there 24/7) and let's you play much more than you ever could offline. We all know wifi messes up our options but it doesn't mess up ALL our options; if it did, nobody would play it. Wifi is strange, it allows you to learn your options but messes you up a lot.

Remember that wifi is a tool, use it to practice your options, try new options, and learn matchups. Don't get frustrated about it, wifi can never measure skill level accurately. You will mess up a lot and most of it will not be your fault. That said, dash attacking into my jigglypuff's shield and getting rested would be your fault, learn to differentiate what is your fault and wifi's fault.

Step Two: Offline

Once you get the handle of your character, it is time to go offline and play. If you have nobody that you can play with, write a story to FML. An ideal offline sparring partner(s) is someone that is preferably above your skill level and will go all out in specified friendlies so that you can learn and not sandbag the whole time
Sam >_>
. Essentially you do the same stuff you did on wifi, learn your options, perfect them (now that there is nothing holding you back), and adjusting to offline (which really is a ***** after playing so much wifi).

Step Three: Tournaments

Wifi and a single offline player can only do so much for you. Tournaments are how you will improve and honestly, I'm on step three myself. I'm learning what doesn't work and what does the hard way, and this really is the only way you can achieve a very high level of gameplay: trial and error. It's for these reasons that tournaments matter, they pit you at your best against each other (unless you have an off day or something like that).

Step Four: Asking The Pros

Step four really doesn't have to go last; you can ask pros anything anytime. The vast majority are very nice and will even offer more assistance than you asked for. If you're stuck on something, simply ask people who have gotten past that obstacle how to do it; it isn't cheating, it's using resources :)

Anyways that's all got, hope it's helpful to any of you. Remember to keep on :yoshi:ng

auroreon

Smash Ace
I see so many people asking what they can do to practise and improve, this could be pretty useful. Cool thread idea Meta.
I agree, Ewwww Wifi. Although there is something to be gained from playing wifi, and it does help you with some things, just remember that it also builds bad habits and you become used to the online environment. Different things work online than offline, online should be used in moderation.

Also, I think you should add maybe a bit about learning the theoretical side of the game, its mechanics, and your character. That is, reading guides, watching videos and understanding how stuff works in the game.

My advice is, if you can get regular practise offline against varied characters and opponants then there is no reason to play online. Unfortuantly most of us are not in that position, so just play offline as much as you can and fill the gaps with small sessions online.
The most important thing really is just to get yourself to tourneys though..

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
DJC Egg Lay, DJC Item Toss, DAC Item Toss, JC Item Toss, DR, DT
Well, apart from practicing those techniques. I know that's the place to do them, but Scatz does other things in there as well, I believe.

Meta, that was one of the reasons I thought. Make sure to go to training after a WiFi session to make sure you can still play normally.

:027:

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I still haven't gotten around to beating Tales of Vesperia. I regret it, but I can't play an RPG anymore for some reason. It'll come back eventually...

auroreon

Smash Ace
ETS doesn't really need to be practised. The input is so simple its no barely more difficult than a standing egg-throw.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
Thanks for pointing that out JR. ETS should be practiced as well. Gotta practice so you get it to a point where you never mess up.

It is quite easy tho, so I see where Auro is coming from.

Jiggy

Smash Apprentice
Just wondering, what should you do in Training Mode?

It's always good to stay used to Yoshi's moves. I dunno about anyone else here, but I tend to NOT only play as Yoshi. Getting on training mode is a good way to get back in the feel of things.

Good way to get 'combos' and such down.

Silent Beast

Smash Journeyman
Not familiar with the acronyms yall use. Could you throw the newbie a bone :p
DJC = Double Jump Cancel
Double jumps can be canceled with specials and with item throws.

DAC = Dash Attack Cancel
Dash attacks can be canceled, with usefulness depending on the character, with item tosses, up smashes, and grabs.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=212159

JC Item Toss = ...actually, I don't know what it stands for
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=151589

DR = Dragonic Reverse
see the Dragonic Reverse section in the Yoshi guide

DT = Draconic Trot
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=5253137#post5253137

BoJangles

Smash Journeyman
I think the JC Item Toss is more commonly known as the DJC Item Toss - the double-jump canceled item toss.

I think.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
A DJCIT is a Double Jump Canceled Item Toss. You do this by jumping, then double jumping quickly and throwing the item right as you use your second jump. The item toss cancels your jump and you slide close to the ground while throwing an item.

I'm not entirely sure what a JCIT is, though. Looks like a way to pivot and throw without having to wait for Yoshi to actually turn around.

VSC.D-Torr

Smash Hero
DJC Item Toss is different from JC Item Toss.

Every character can Jump Cancel Item Toss, which is done by initiating a dash then jump cancel an item toss. It acts sort of like a glide toss. This is more attributedly known for Link as this acts as his glide toss because he can't glide toss well (or at all if I'm not mistaken). Yoshi has a moderate JC Item Toss.

Double Jump Cancelled Item Toss is character specific to Yoshi and maybe Ness and Lucas. To do this, you double jump and immediately toss your item, making it seem as if you never left the ground.

I hope this helps.

TheOgbot

Smash Journeyman
and I imagine ETS is Egg Toss Slide, where you input a movement in a certain direction, then egg toss in a fluid motion?

I can do it, I just can't necessarily put it into words clearly :/

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
You're right about what it means.

It's basically dashing, jumping, and then doing an egg toss immediately after. You'll slide along the ground while tossing an egg.

Top Bottom