• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for my Snake?

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
I recently converted over to Snake, was a Mario main before. Not disappointed in my results with him, but I need someone to combat the higher tier characters Mario can't handle (especially MK). I will still keep him as secondary though. Yeah, I know my Snake has a lot to learn, but tell me what you think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v80o9q69Cao
Ending was unfortunate, but necessary or else I couldn't have uploaded the replay. Also, keep in mind that this is a wifi match.

ShadowPhoenix951

Smash Ace
Not terrible, but a few things I noticed (will add more later).
- You like to use Jab to punish a lot. Ftilt is generally much safer.
- When throwing, unless it's to get the opponent off the stage, only use Dthrow. It allows for so much more if you're good at reading your opponent.
- Unrelated to you, but your opponent wasn't able to perform the CG properly. Otherwise, you wouldn't have the frame to pull out a 'nade.
- When the opponent is on the ledge, don't just throw out attacks. Watch them and react to what they do.

That's all I've got for now, I'll add more later.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Not terrible, but a few things I noticed (will add more later).
- You like to use Jab to punish a lot. Ftilt is generally much safer.
- When throwing, unless it's to get the opponent off the stage, only use Dthrow. It allows for so much more if you're good at reading your opponent.
- Unrelated to you, but your opponent wasn't able to perform the CG properly. Otherwise, you wouldn't have the frame to pull out a 'nade.
- When the opponent is on the ledge, don't just throw out attacks. Watch them and react to what they do.

That's all I've got for now, I'll add more later.
Alright, thanks for replying.
Yeah, I generally go for the jab to f-tilt so I can rack up a little more damage. For me, it seems easier to do on Falco but on other characters, I usually just use f-tilt.
Regarding the grab, I stink at predicting, but I'll try.
My opponent failed to CG properly as it was wifi and there was minimal button delay.
I'll try to follow all advice you've given me.

Shadow_of_Link

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure if you did a fair on accident when you died on your first stock, but it's better to do a uair or bair (dair if you're flying vertical) because they end faster and thus allow you more control for DI.

You also rolled quite a bit; it's a bad habit that doesn't really accomplish anything, so try to minimize rolling.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if you did a fair on accident when you died on your first stock, but it's better to do a uair or bair (dair if you're flying vertical) because they end faster and thus allow you more control for DI.

You also rolled quite a bit; it's a bad habit that doesn't really accomplish anything, so try to minimize rolling.
I attempted to f-tilt when he f-smashed me, so yeah, I instead did a fair in the air. I know always use Dair to DI, but never really bair or uair, so thanks.
I roll often, as you said, and I'll try to improve and improvise through your advice.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Not bad, I've seen worse. I noticed a couple of mistakes that should be brought to your attention though.

- You spotdodge way too much, and you spotdodge in places where it isn't necessary. In the first 15 seconds of the match, you spotdoged FIVE times. and you continued to do so. In all seriousness, you spotdodge like once every 3 seconds. This is without a doubt your biggest weakness.

- You momentum cancel with all the wrong moves. The only move you should be momentum cancelling with is bair.

- Your stage control in that match could have been better, but then again it was VS Falco on FD.

Besides all that, your Snake is pretty solid (No pun intended.), keep it up, and you'll be better in no time.

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
I attempted to f-tilt when he f-smashed me, so yeah, I instead did a fair in the air. I know always use Dair to DI, but never really bair or uair, so thanks.
I roll often, as you said, and I'll try to improve and improvise through your advice.
Yo, dair isn't the best DI move for snake. It's actually bair. Bair ends the fastest and lets you jump earlier.

misterpimp5757

Smash Ace
ok first stop the rolling and the sidestep...u sidestep so many times even when he was on the opposite side of u. i can see ur probaly gonna say that u were tryin to sidestep the lasers but just duck.

more nades.....hardly saw u with any and more c4.......and dthrow of course.

.WC.

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm a Snake main myself.

If you want to do some dittos, let me know. I'm working on mine.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Not bad, I've seen worse. I noticed a couple of mistakes that should be brought to your attention though.

- You spotdodge way too much, and you spotdodge in places where it isn't necessary. In the first 15 seconds of the match, you spotdoged FIVE times. and you continued to do so. In all seriousness, you spotdodge like once every 3 seconds. This is without a doubt your biggest weakness.

- You momentum cancel with all the wrong moves. The only move you should be momentum cancelling with is bair.

- Your stage control in that match could have been better, but then again it was VS Falco on FD.

Besides all that, your Snake is pretty solid (No pun intended.), keep it up, and you'll be better in no time.
Yeah, spot dodging has always been a bad habit of mine, I'll try to improve on that.
My DI has always been horrible as well, I'll attempt to fast fall bair more.
Thanks for your contribution.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
ok first stop the rolling and the sidestep...u sidestep so many times even when he was on the opposite side of u. i can see ur probaly gonna say that u were tryin to sidestep the lasers but just duck.

more nades.....hardly saw u with any and more c4.......and dthrow of course.
As displayed before, I know I roll and sidestep often. And no, I wasn't trying to sidestep the lazers, it's just a bad habit of mine.
I use grenades moderately, but yeah, I need more c4 and dthrow.

Gr1mmy

Smash Apprentice
Here's how to win with snake:

Step One-
Spam Grenades

Step Two-
Spam ftilt

Step Three-
Utilt.

ggkthxbai.

Underload

Lazy
Continue to punish spotdodges with the rapid jab. Trust me. A smart spotdodger can avoid your whole ftilt and get in an attack or two of their own.

That's all I got.

IxxI

Smash Fence
By God, that Falco was terrible. ;O
You have a really bad side step and roll habit, you like side stepping if an opponent gets to close to you, and you rolled INTO your opponent.

lolwut

Don't roll into your opponent. Your grenade game is a little weak, mix it up some more. Work on your tech chassing, and edge guarding. Avoid Falco's chaingrab. Also, please, please, please, please, PLEASE tell your friend he needs a lot of work.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
By God, that Falco was terrible. ;O
You have a really bad side step and roll habit, you like side stepping if an opponent gets to close to you, and you rolled INTO your opponent.

lolwut

Don't roll into your opponent. Your grenade game is a little weak, mix it up some more. Work on your tech chassing, and edge guarding. Avoid Falco's chaingrab. Also, please, please, please, please, PLEASE tell your friend he needs a lot of work.

As mentioned before, I do realize I often side step and roll. Yeah, I usually just throw grenades or lay them down and hope for the best, so I'll improvise on that. My tech chasing is pretty weak and I need to work on edgeguarding, as you said, although it was not needed in this match.
This was a wifi match, my opponent isn't my "friend."

Top Bottom