• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for practicing SHFFLing?

Inverity

Smash Rookie
Been grinding out some hours in training mode, and I'm starting to feel like I'm integrating some aspects to muscle memory. It's slow but I feel like it's getting there. One huge problem I'm having is consistently SHFFLing out of a shine, out of a run, or sometimes even SHFFLing at all. I'm grinding in training mode across FD but sometimes I don't feel like I'm getting any better. Are there some specific drills I can go through that might help me? Some more focused practicing is what I'm aiming for I guess.

Player -0

Smash Hero
An easy way to SHFFL out of a run is to mess around with Falcon on FD and do something like F-throw -> run -> SHFFL Knee.

You should probably play a "match" with a friend or something (they don't have to be good) and then during the match look for points where you could SHFFL and if you get into a similar situation later in the match drill your mind to remember. Of course SHFFLing might not always be the right answer.

Alulim

Smash Apprentice
Plug in 2 controllers.
Set:
- Handicap: You at 1, Player 2 at 9
- Damage Ratio set to 0.5
- Pick Bowser/DK using Player 2
- Stock set to 99
- Choose FD

On the stage, you'll be able to hit SHFFLs without flinching/knocking back the DK/Bowser until very high percents. Just keep practicing with that.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
This^ is a good way of practicing, you can hit a bowser with nair + shine a lot of times because you wont push him at all with the shine because of the handicap, practicing hitting an opponent is important because the timing of the L-cancel differs, it is also different when hitting a shield.

I don't think there's a secret, just keep practicing and eventually you'll get good at it. It requires quite some time for you to master the technique though, is not like you're going to master it in a couple of days, it may take a month or two to actually perfect the technique, it mostly depends on your dedication and how much time you invest in practicing.

MiracleFruit

Smash Rookie
In addition to Alulim's suggestion, you should also practice SHFFLs on Icies, the two icies really screw up your fast fall timing, but it's important to be able to adjust instantaneously. If you really want to be flawless, train with 3 LV. 1 Icies.

Lime_O

All Aboard the Hype Train
NNID
Lime
^I believe that you have just succeeded in breaking the metagame.

But really though, just do what Alulim said.
It will do wonders.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
Play the fox nair game. See how many nairs you can do in place in a minute. This will give you quantifiable results to track improvement, actively make you better, and give you a reason to keep practicing (beating your previous results). You can also do nair shines if you want, it's the same idea really. Also, something I've done to practice my drill shine timing is learning fox's infinite by practicing against L1 cpu bowser with .5 damage ratio with a handicip (which I think someone already mentioned).

Rob Taylor

Smash Rookie
Sydney Australia, Cleveland Ohio, Cincinnati Ohio
Handicap and half damage ratio is definitely very good for practicing anything that requires a lot of inputs after hitting someone, so shuffling, shuffling on shield, shuffled aerials into shine grab, multishines, etc.

Make sure to practice each of the aerials, it's important to be able to hit the l cancel after drill regardless of when you start hitting them and from a full jump, jump/drop from a platform, jump from the ledge, etc. Making that l cancel can be the difference between starting a combo or getting comboed yourself.

Definitely practice with Ice Climbers, a lot of Ice Climber players like to try to force you to miss your l cancel by angling their shield, and lightshielding with one IC and regular shielding with the other.

Doing aerials without hitting anything is also important to learn, and thankfully the only time the drill l cancel timing is the same as the nair, bair, fair, and uair is if you're hitting nothing. The drill also has the most lag so if you're having a hard time spotting the l cancels at first just work on doing the drill l cancel without hitting anything to get the empty timing down, then apply it to the other aerials to see what they look like. Spotting when you miss the l cancel is probably one of the most important things to getting better at the timing, because once you spot it it becomes more obvious what the timing should be, and you learn how to adjust the timing without having to slow it down.

I personally think changing the speed in training mode is horrible, if you need to learn how to do the inputs with your hands just do it on your controller without playing a game. This is just personal preference though, a lot of musicians get a lot out of slowing things down then bringing it up to tempo, so whatever floats your boat.

Top Bottom