• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on how to Sandbag like a Pro

ArstNeio

Smash Apprentice
I had to deal with this a lot and it kinda sucks.

I mainly played characters that I didn't play, because that way you can still try to do reads and mind games and stuff but overall they'll be less effective. I think this is good because then you're still punishing them for making mistakes, so they learn, but you're not punishing them to a cruel extent by pulling off insane combos whenever they make a mistake because you don't really know the character. You're handicapped by your general lack of knowledge of the character that you don't play, but you can still have a fruitful battle where the other guy learns valuable things. You'll still be able to punish predictable stuff, excessive rolling, etc., and he'll still have fun because it won't be a complete beat down every time. I generally found it bad to do things like spam pawnch because then you get bored easily and they do too, in addition to not learning much.

Also then you can learn to play more chars, yay.

SpiderBubble

Smash Cadet
I picked up multiple characters from having to play noobs and not being able to play my good characters. You figure out that some characters are actually amazingly fun to play as that you'd never have guessed would be that fun.

And also: Pichu.

X1-12

Smash Champion
Having tried out some of these, I think the best one is to just actually pretty much do nothing, and only combo them when they do something wrong, beyond that just take the opportunity to try and practice ridiculous tech skill or insane DI.

rapidtransit247

Smash Cadet
This seems like the greatest troll thread ever :)
Also, try playing characters you don't usually play. Or just do things you normally wouldn't like taking unnecessary risks or trying out weird moves.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I use kirby, but if I want to do it with a main I will just screw up combo's and miss edge guards, or just barley let them back on the stage. Or just wont edge guard them at all.

Zoler

Smash Ace
Usually I just space really really bad, and sometimes just run up without an attacking or anything. Not too often tho, or they'll notice. DI'ing really bad is cool too.

Cemetery

Smash Apprentice
I hate the concept of sandbagging. I'm going to **** you.

In return, I expect you to **** me back. This is how players generally improve- with exposure.

Sim

Smash Apprentice
I just play really mindlessly, spacing is turned off, the only thing I'm aiming for is to punish mistakes. Simply.

And I don't mind going all-out on a combo and SD'ing if I can. In fact, I aim for trading stocks.

But I will never let someone win. If by any chance I'm stuck at the last stock, I go all out. Spacing is turned back on and I win. :D

I believe it gives the best "learning blend" for the player. No feeling of getting ***** endlessly during the match. (Players don't mind getting combo'd if your stocks go down as well, I don't know why. They think they entirely deserve the kill lol.) Helps them to learn the tricks and stuff such as not being predictable and easily punished, and it also gives them a small glimpse of hope as I lurk around with my LAST life, a life so easily forfeited...!
not

Of course, once the player becomes serious in his desire to learn, I go all-out all the time!! Time to learn man!

tubes

Smash Ace
just play a character you are bad at and go for ridiculous **** like roy spikes. Also when you notice your opponent has a bad habit punish him as hard as possible for it so he'll stop doing that.

Velox

Smash Ace
The best way to sandbag against BKs (or girls) is to pick a low (or bottom) tier character. See how sick you can make your Zelda..

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Willing to give lessons on how to sandbag like a pro. I offer an hourly and daily rate for anyone interested.

There is also a package deal if you get lessons from m2k and myself.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Willing to give lessons on how to sandbag like a pro. I offer an hourly and daily rate for anyone interested.

There is also a package deal if you get lessons from m2k and myself.
Really? Can you teach me how to go easy on my opponents? Everytime I swing my sword, they get chopped in half and there's nothing I can do about it..

Stevo

Smash Champion
just concentrate on doing 1 thing until they figure out how to beat it, and then switch to another thing.

if they cannot figure it out give them a tip, and if they still cannot beat your 1 dimensional strategy, switch as they will probably start getting annoyed.

be sure not to do the same thing over and over for too long, but do not make your play very dynamic.

ILM

Smash Journeyman
just concentrate on doing 1 thing until they figure out how to beat it, and then switch to another thing.

if they cannot figure it out give them a tip, and if they still cannot beat your 1 dimensional strategy, switch as they will probably start getting annoyed.

be sure not to do the same thing over and over for too long, but do not make your play very dynamic.
But what if they play a low tier or Peach and you play Marth? If your one strategy is forward air, then they won't be able to beat it. :awesome:

Doval

Smash Lord
GrimTuesday said:
Sandbagging is dumb.

If they can't handle being completely destroyed when they first start out, we don't want them in the community.
I disagree. Completely destroying a beginner doesn't help them progress, because you can't learn if you can't even play. It's about as useful as starting off someone on DDR with 10-feet, 280 BPM (beats per minute) songs. They need enough breathing room to actually get to make mistakes so they can learn from them.

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
I disagree. Completely destroying a beginner doesn't help them progress, because you can't learn if you can't even play. It's about as useful as starting off someone on DDR with 10-feet, 280 BPM (beats per minute) songs. They need enough breathing room to actually get to make mistakes so they can learn from them.
I love you for making a DDR reference. I shall worship you.

Pi

Smash Hero
try approaching w/ weird moves

like if you're fox, approach w/ upair, but do it when you think it will hit

pick up on their patterns and stuff and try to exploit them in weird ways

like reverse bair as an approach w/ falcon

intercept/approach w/ upair as fox

try tomahawking when you think they'll shield and just in general try stuff you want to implement but can't when you're having to 'tryhard'

when i play against people who i feel confident against, and i want to sandbag w/ samus, i won't missile spam/camp, and i won't UB OoS

Top Bottom