• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on Ike fighting Snake and Falco.

Renegade65

Smash Rookie
NNID
W33dGamerzNation
3DS FC
0920-2262-3779
What sup errbody my name is MIKE. There was a tournament in the stl mainly for tekken but there was a brawl tournament there to I placed third in it. I lost to a Snake and a Falco and I bearly 2 stocked a sheik. But I havent played them in a while and this tourny was back in MAY. That was before i knew about DIing and jab canceling. SO maybe things will be different now.

But if anyone has any tips for Ike vs. Snake and Falco for please give me that insight.

Marth & Ike

Smash Rookie
Falco is a horrible match-up for Ike. His camping alone is hard for Ike to get past.

For Snake - it's definitely in Snake's favor, but if you can work with jab combos/aerials, and use good spacing you should be in better shape than you would against a lot of other characters. If he's shield happy with grenades, grab when possible (even though Ike's grab game isn't great, it is an extension of the jab combos).

Consider it a blessing Snake's obnoxious tilts aren't as big a deal to Ike as other characters.

It's like a 30% chance to beat Falco, whereas it's closer to 40% to beat a Snake with Ike. Either way, a good Falco/Snake should beat a good Ike...

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Against Snake:
- Counter his Snake Dash
- Always jab cancel into stuff (grab, neutral a combo finish, Quick Draw, etc.)
- Counter his Snake Dash
- Keep pressuring... Use that range of your sword to hurt and avoid any possible "Counter Grenades"
- Counter his Snake Dash
- As quickly as possible, send Snake outside and give him a massive beating while he is on his Cypher... Cypher Steal at any given time you get...
- Counter his Snake Dash

As for Falco, the Falco players I play with are all at different places... I hadn't started Ike against them, so I can't say much to how you do matchups against then...

__V

Smash Journeyman
Falco is almost hopeless with Ike. Snake is beatable. Have patience and wait for him to make a mistake. His projectiles are not quick, so you have all the time you need. Snake's good moves require him to be on the ground. Use that to your advantage.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Judging from the fact that you two stocked a Sheik...

Wow, you go to some noob tournies.

Seriously, find a better place, someone like you should be placing like ****.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Judging from the fact that you two stocked a Sheik...

Wow, you go to some noob tournies.

Seriously, find a better place, someone like you should be placing like ****.
can you like stop posting in these boards like all the other people who ditched Ike. you never actually say anything that helps people asking questions. Just omg some one replied that they beat a character better than Ike I'd best flame them telling them the other person sucked. Its not impossible to win for Ike and not everyone is a noob. Big deal if the only reason he won was cause HE'S A BETTER PLAYER than the other guy.

I actually like RoK more than you now at least he only does this once a month. TBH this sounds exactly like him "Seriously, find a better place, someone like you should be placing like ****."

P.S. who the hell talked about shiek? And I'm surprised your post didn't say the word **** this time.

now that that's out of the way I actually think snake is a harder match up than Falco. yes Falco has a chain grab and can probably land an F. smash on you after a dash attack even at mid %s but snake is insane.

His tilts over power you, they are faster and stronger than yours can can be used if he shields your first jab and you didn't cancel into a shield. one thing I really hate is how he can leave mines and c4 everywhere limiting your movement. if he decides to put some on platforms it limits some of your approaches since IMO Ike approaches better in the air. I basically just hate his stage control it limits you to much. If a snake plants a mine on one of the edges after you die you might want to use your invulnerability frames to blow it up. Its not to hard to run up and shield it though since Ike can slide with his shield after a dash.

edit: I just noticed where it said shiek even so RoK > falconv

Renegade65

Smash Rookie
NNID
W33dGamerzNation
3DS FC
0920-2262-3779
I mean, I have other chars i.e. Mario, Falco, Zero Suit. But Im trying to main Ike and to me that means that u should be able to use that char in any situation.

I know that there are certain matchups for the chars but still, I want to be able to play wit him in any situation.

And not to lie I dont like ppl the like to call ppl noobs from the start (Falconv1.0). And then try to downplay my skills at the same time. Naw brother it dont work like that. I beat that shiek because my strat was better. Your just a lil upset that ur main got beat by a heavyweight which shouldnt happen, but it can plz believe me dude. Sheik is good but not that good especially if the player isnt that good. Plz think before u type man. and obviously someone that has been playin smash since n64 is not a NOOB. Again Think.

And to everyone else thanks for the tips.

Keep em comin.

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I have other chars i.e. Mario, Falco, Zero Suit. But Im trying to main Ike and to me that means that u should be able to use that char in any situation.

I know that there are certain matchups for the chars but still, I want to be able to play wit him in any situation.

And not to lie I dont like ppl the like to call ppl noobs from the start (Falconv1.0). And then try to downplay my skills at the same time. Naw brother it dont work like that. I beat that shiek because my strat was better. Your just a lil upset that ur main got beat by a heavyweight which shouldnt happen, but it can plz believe me dude. Sheik is good but not that good especially if the player isnt that good. Plz think before u type man. and obviously someone that has been playin smash since n64 is not a NOOB. Again Think.

And to everyone else thanks for the tips.

Keep em comin.
I wouldn't worry about that comment - you're not a n00b. N00bs on these boards are the sort of people who start threads claiming Ike's fsmash alone makes him god tier.

*cough* cough* *vegeta9000* *cough*

I hear what you're saying about maining Ike against any matchup regardless of the odds (I'm the same more or less), just saying having a backup character up your sleeve at tourneys is probably the most effective way of beating Snake and Falco players. A bit of character savy goes a long way.

But if you do decide to stick with Ike against said players, there's not much advice I can offer other than always stay at a distance that puts your opponent within range of your fair, but not too close because the startup lag on most of Ike's attacks leave him vulnerable at extreme close range (where Falco can excel etc). If you see Falco shorthop to fire his laser, constantly shut him down with fair. It goes without saying always try to hit with the very tip of Ike's blade because it maes it slightly harder for your opponent to counter your attack. Whenever you try to advance with an aerial or whatever, be prepared to roll backwards immediately to maintain this distance in case your attack is shielded or sidestepped.

I'm sure a lot of people would question this extremely general advice, but it works fairly well until your opponent starts to tech chase you and whatnot. Sorry I couldn't be more specific about Snake, as I'm yet to vs a decent Snake player. Everybody here plays either MK or G&W. :dizzy:

And just to add fuel to the fire - Sheik is actually looking pretty ordinary in Brawl compared to other characters.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Falco eats Ike alive. If he starts shl'ing, you'd best shield immediately or eat smashes to your face thanks to the canceling properties. His chaingrab destroys you, especially on smaller stages-dthrow to dair will hurt. His camping also destroys you, especially on larger stages. =/ You really don't have much of any advantage Use the quickest moves you can, or risk getting launched and gimped. Save your second jump like it were your baby child. Good news is, eruption owns phantasm and the firebird. Charge it up and laugh. Get good with anticipation and timing to get him with the outside of the hitbox-no chance to sweetspot the ledge, I'm fairly sure. Improve your offstage game, but be careful-you obviously know that falco's over b cuts you down. To avoid that shieldgrab, make sure your spacing is perfect. At midrange, you need to watch out for his contant hyphen smash...the list goes on and on...

Renegade65

Smash Rookie
NNID
W33dGamerzNation
3DS FC
0920-2262-3779
I thought that u can DI out of the chaingrab, Ill have to double check. But other than that time the short hop to the fair, i got u, maybe will help me out cuz i dont short hop much wit Ike. And the best thing i did to snake was using quick draw to get across the board and 3-piece him. Also fair him or up smash when he is on the helicopter thing.

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Oh, also at higher percents, he can hit you weakly with his....fair? or nair? one of the two...for an incredibly easy laserlock.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
falco, snake doesn't have lasers lol.

kodachrome I thought it was Dthrow CG to the edge then Fthrow to Dair. If I get Dthrown at the edge I just fall down then use my 2nd jump to get back. does this not work on a good Falco?

also I don't think its a hyphen smash that you have to watch out for rather the dash attack to Usmash or his Boost smash since that covers more distance.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
No a good falco can d-throw > dair even if you DI it. The only way you could escape is if you were at too high of a %. Falco is way worse to play against with Ike, but Snake is a pretty bad matchup as well. Hmmmm.... I have to say Falco is a little worse to play than Snake only by like 5%.

Snake has godly tilts. But since Ike is heavy you'll survive a bit longer from the u-tilt than others, assuming that the snake racks up damage w/ the f-tilt which most do. However Falco's CG on Ike just makes it really bad, b/c he can just play his usual style of CG'ing, laser camping while snake might have to change his game up a little bit to deal with Ike's range.

One helpful note, about Falco's lasers. The hitstun on the lasers is actually really low. You can actually shield really quickly after it hits you. So if you are getting hit by laser>dash attack or reflector consider that maybe you're actually not shielding quickly enough. Granted a lot of things will probably still be unblockable but at least remember that you can shield if he chooses to do laser>d-smash or something like that.

However once you get off the edge though against both characters you are going to have to be really smart. Conserve your second jump and air dodge to avoid gimping. I also applaud your statement of maining Ike to be able to "handle all situations with him." Whether it is foolish naivety or true courage it is nonetheless very brave to enter the competitive scene with only Ike. (Getting a secondary is always a good option though:) )

Btw Arturito hope you can stop hating on me. Seeing as these boards have become more bearable then b4 as I dont see as much flaming and the like (besides Falconv1.0 lol) I'll try to be more helpful.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I stopped hating the same day I started. The only reason I got really pissed was because that week there where a lot of people who had other mains just spamming the boards, so when an ex Ike main just came back to taunt someone it really got to me. but that same day you apologized so its all good now.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Its nice to know ppl aren't holding grudges. I'll try to help this board as much as I can. I noticed that there are a lot of threads currently asking how to deal with _____. So shouldn't somebody make a matchup thread (preferrable you or somebody else b/c I would be to busy to update on a regular basis) or did that happen already and died?

Kodachrome

Smash Journeyman
Arturito, that's what i meant by hyphen smash-his dash attack to upsmash. *facepalm*

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
If you get chain grabbed and throw off the ledge by Falco, quickly use Aether. If he tries to spike you, he'll hit your superarmor frames, so you'll still be alive, and he'll be eating your blade. (And be hopefully unable to edgehog you)

Everything else has already been said.....

I too plain to enter tournaments using only Ike. Eventually. I need a car first......and a job.......I have secondaries, but I'm no where near as good with them as I am with Ike.

Top Bottom