• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TL vs Olimar

PyroJet

Smash Apprentice
I main TL and I don't know anyone who mains Olimar, but whenever I play against anyone who is Olimar even for fun, I can't seem to get to him without taking 100+% myself. The pikmin do so much damage over time if Olimar just keeps running, and then eventually one smash kills you. I have yet to lose to an Olimar, but I would like some strategies and tips on how to better deal with them.

PS: Would like some tips on vsing Wolf and Lucas as well.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Vs Olimar, ftilt stops like all of his attacks on the ground. Slice those pikmin!

And he doesn't have much of a defense against bair spam either. Get him off the edge with bair spam, then knock him away with fair or nair, then edgehog.

Bomb his pikmin when they're not following him, I killed 4 pikmin at once right after a cpu olimar plucked them because I had a bomb ready. Boomerangs also cancel just about everything ranged olimar uses.

Watch out for his grab. And his hitboxes. On the ground, if you approach diagonally from above Olimar has not many options. In the air you outrange him.

I've not played enough TL vs Wolf or Lucas to know the matchup well enough though.

Clink

Smash Cadet
Olimar is a beast, yes. I've had my fair share against some Olimars and have lost a few. Especially against some who main him ><. Olimar is of course all about his pikmin. you can't really just get rid of them so easily. I found that tryin to hit him with as many projectiles as possible is a decent way to go about it. Not just spamming them will do. Just trying to trcik him into gettin hit by one. Olimar as nasty down smash and is effective tothose who dodge roll near him. Try not to stay too close to him when he's at full control.

I found that poopin some arrows at him and then a bomb, if connected you have a nice chance to either F-tilt, or A-combo him to get some good range between the two again. If you ever get the chance, you want to kill those pikmin. Olimars up-b is useless unless he has just about every pikmin. if Olimar is off edge, of course Tl has a nice advantage. Get out there and Bair him to death

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
Olimar and Ike [who would've thought] are my two hardest matches; the olimars I play against grab alot at close range, and shield against the bair, then rolldodge and grab, I'm not sure quite what to do. Even if I kill all his pikmen, I can only keep him at bay for one or two seconds for a smash attack, i'm lucky if I get the smash and can edgehog in time.

--
For Wolf : Use rolldodge and grab down -> fsmash /bsmash alot, generally tilts work well, he can usually avoid most arials though so be careful around that.

For Lucas: Stay in close range, his projectiles and shield are deadly. Your best bet is short hop fair/nair and rolls, dont get above him or below him for any extended period of time though.

deletedmember

Smash Cadet
A good Lucas is a real ***** to fight. You basically have to just KEEP FROM BEING ABOVE HIM at all costs, (abandon the dair) and be very careful about being off the edge when he is still on it. His upB can just chase you and edgeguard you like you wouldn't believe.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Come from above, I say. You have plenty of projectiles that can strike from angles that Olimar can't handle. If you stay out from in front of him, you should be able to land boomerang hits, control his movement with arrow spam, and constantly pester him with bombs. If he throws pikmin at you, punish him by slicing them up. Once you get him off, edgeguard him well enough to finish the KO with an edgehog (ie; keep from from throwing pikmin at you while you edgehog) and he shall plummet to his death. Never neglect your tilts.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
Come from above, I say. You have plenty of projectiles that can strike from angles that Olimar can't handle. If you stay out from in front of him, you should be able to land boomerang hits, control his movement with arrow spam, and constantly pester him with bombs. If he throws pikmin at you, punish him by slicing them up. Once you get him off, edgeguard him well enough to finish the KO with an edgehog (ie; keep from from throwing pikmin at you while you edgehog) and he shall plummet to his death. Never neglect your tilts.
here's to wishing it was just that simple. Oli has awesome range with pikmin, beyond boomerang (and pikmin cancel boomerange) slicing works fairly well if you like a dramatized (see long***ed ) fight. Bombs are a pretty fair against him and if you're going above him watch for his Usmash, it's a real killer. I guess you've just gotta be quicker than him and know your dodges.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
Also, Olimar can't hit you out of a Dair straight above him. if he usmashes or uairs you'll bounce off his pikmin. If he utilts he gats hit.

But if he's to the side you get punished. Don't dair if it won't land square on top of him.

darkshy

Smash Ace
When I play olimar I spam boomarangs and arrows while staying out of his smash attack range. It really allows to rack up some damage as well as stay alive. Becareful when throwing bombs though because if a pikmin is stuck on you the bomb will blow up in your face. F-smash is also good IMO because it cuts through any pikin he sends at you. Oh and be careful of his super whistle armour if you play good olimars like I play they can whistle and counter with a smash attack at close range and F**K you up.

Yaya

Smash Champion
I don't have any tips for Lucas or Olimar but here's one for Wolf:

Defense beats Wolf.

Vook

Smash Rookie
All you have to do for fighting Olimar is keep killing his pikmin with your bombs, and arrows. If you keep his pikmin at a very low number, he will have lots of problems hurting and KOing you.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Get Olimar while he's airborne with your boomerang and arrows. On the ground, get him with the bombs. Avoid close confrontations with Olimar.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Olimar player here!

Some tips to deal with Olimar:

- Dont try to kill the Pikmin, its a waste of time, they spawn faster than you can kill them.
- Approach from above, get punished, don't do it.

- Use Boomerang (to the floor so it angles) to keep him from moving forward
- Approach with Nairs, Fairs and Bairs, get him off the stage, bomb his recovery

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Some people have already mentioned this, but I want to emphasize it: be very careful when using bombs against Olimar. Make sure that you have absolutely no Pikmin latched on you. If just one Pikmin is latched on, the bomb will explode directly on Toon Link because the bomb hits the Pikmin first, which is latched on Toon Link's body.

Attacking with projectiles is usually ineffective against a defensive Olimar, because Pikmin Throw protects Olimar from Toon Link's projectiles. Plus, Olimar can spam Pikmin Throw quicker than any of Toon Link's projectiles, so a Pikmin is bound to latch on Toon Link. I suggest staying near Olimar and keeping him pressured. Approach diagonally to avoid grabs and forward smashes. Use Toon Link's down-air because it out-prioritizes many of Olimar's attacks - be careful though, because a smart Olimar can counter Toon Link's down-air by using an Up-Smash to protect himself from your sword, then Up-Tilt, which has a higher priority after Toon Link's initial down-air is deflected by Olimar's up-smash.

Top Bottom