• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TMNT: Smash Up. A fighter by Brawl developers

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Temporary* Home of TMNT Smash Up Discussion

*Please give us a Smash Up subboard mods!

Release Date

September 22nd, 2009

Short Synopsis

Smash Bros-like Arena fighter developed by the core Smash Bros Brawl team (GameArts) and former members of Team Ninja.

Publisher: Ubisoft
Multiplayer: 4-player, online

Videos (direct feed unless noted)

Features & Specials

1up's Game Night
Gamespot's E3 Stage Demo

Official Trailers

Gamescon Trailer
Character Vignette #2
Character Vignette #1
E3 2009 Trailer
NY Comic Con '09 CG Trailer

Other Media

Rabbids in Smash Up - Confirmation Video (cam)
IGN 4-player Match

Recommended Reading

Escapist Preview
IGN E3 Preview

Known Roster (not final)

- Leonardo
- Raphael
- Donatello
- Michelangelo
- Splinter
- April
- Casey Jones
- Shredder
- Foot Soldier
- Utrominator
- Splinter Cell Rabbid
- Cheerleader Rabbid
- Nightwatcher
- Karai
- Fugitoid

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
...Move to Light House?

Hope it has Geno as an unlockable character.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I wish it was a different franchise...I can't stand TMNT.

•Col•

Smash Champion
.................. WHAT!??!?! o_O

So they're basically taking Brawl's gameplay, and putting in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....?

.............. I have a bad strange feeling about this... I feel like they're going to merge or something.... Dx Don't get me wrong, I used to love TMNT when I was a kid, but... It wouldn't be right if they were in a Smash Brothers game...

EDIT: Ok... It's not TOO similiar to Smash Bros... I didn't see the "Have health bar instead of %" thing... Still, this seems... Weird...

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
An amalgam of Team Ninja and SSBB's developers doing a TMNT game in the spirit of SSB...while I await both SSB4/SSB DS and a "Sega Superstar Fighting" game, this will have to do.

Sucks that since I moved, my early subscribers' issue of NP goes to my old address 1st.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Really? Moved here? I thought being developed by Brawl staff was relevant enough to Brawl General.

Now the news is going to pass by most of the Brawl community here. When Jump Super Stars was first announced, did that get thread get forced in here too?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Interesting. Hopefully they'll have some old-school turtle baddies in it like Kang, and Rocksteady and Beebop.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
Shall we start the roster debates already?

Core Franchise
Leo
Mike
Don
Raph
Splinter
Shredder
Casey Jones
Karai

Classic toon
fly form Baxter Stockman
Bebop
Rockstedy
Krang

Live action
Tokka
Rahzar
Tatsu
Venus (Oh don't give me that look, I think she's underrated)

Current animation
April O' Neil (learned to fight in the 4th film)
Hun

Boss: Super Shredder

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Who's Karai?

And there has to be an April Classic costume at the least.

Angrylobster

Smash Lord
I'm pretty excited for this. I've heard Sakurai won't have anything to do with it so thats a definite plus over brawl

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
As much as I love the turtles, a collection of Brawl and DOA developers sounds like the least competitive game possible. But I guess a turtles game probably doesn't have a big chance of becoming a source of mainstream competition anyway. My biggest concern right now is that the gamecube controller isn't confirmed to be usable. If I had to play Brawl with the Wii mote, well I wouldn't.

K64

Smash Apprentice
Can't believe that there hasn't been a thread here yet!

Little is known about how much and who of Brawl's team is involved. Crossing my fingers that Game Arts (the company that Sora LTD, presumably disbanded after Brawl, was built off of) is behind the bulk of development.

They've also picked up some ex-Team Ninja staffers as well, presumably people discouraged by that messy Itagaki walk out. Furthermore, development on the title began in January, the same month that Brawl was finished in Japan.

Anyhow, there's a scan out that reads:

"To kick off our big 2009 preview special, we've got an exclusive sneak peek at a game that's so early it hasn't even been named yet! For now we'll just call it TMNT. A new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game is always worth at least a raised eyebrow (despite the, er mixed results of the foursome's last several titles), but when it's a four-player fighting game made by some of the folks who worked on Super Smash Bros. Brawl and former members of Tecmo's famed Team Ninja (who worked on the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive Series), then we're looking at one of the most exiting stories of the year."

And a two posts from Giant Bomb's and IGN's boards:

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles fighter
-More graphically detailed than Brawl
-A darker graphical theme, while still keeping the TMNT feel. It was stressed that the game isn't based off any iteration of TMNT specifically.
-Smash Bros. perspective.
-You die by falling off the screen, but have a health bar instead of a %.
-Can pull off ninja moves, like running up walls.
-2 Control schemes confirmed: Wiimote, Mote+chuk.
-Motion controls utilized, but not for basic attacks.
-Stages look great and have a lot of interactive areas (Electric fences, etc.)
-Story mode, possibly similar to Subspace Emissary, written by TMNT cocreater.
-4 Player online, "working hard to deliver a smooth online experience free of the issues that hindered Brawl."
-September 09.
- I can definitely confirm the visuals. They're very pretty.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/gen...vetsteam-ninja-vetsubiwiitmnt-fighter/221332/

-published by Ubisoft
-official development started Jan. 2008
-concept started Oct. 2007
-to be released in Sept. 2009
-2.5D Fighter
-Interactive Stages
-4 player versus
-Story Mode
-Battle Royal
-Tournament
-Winner Stays
-Loser Stays
-Practice
-Unlockable Characters
-Unlockable Stages
-Online aspects said to be better than Brawl implementation
-Each character is color coded with glowing effect to make 4-player battles easy to follow

“While this is a licensed game, it’s not tied to any movie or TV show…for this game to succeed on its own it needs to be a great game.” - Ubisoft producer

http://gonintendo.com/?p=65881

Anyone who gets the issue, PLEASE elaborate if you can. I haven't seen it myself, and this is all I've found to go by.
Woah, this is really convincing. I only want to see an offical trailer of this game in action.
Then again, will this be like Naruto: Ultimate Ninja? If so then meh I have played it before.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I wouldn't have gotten it either way (TMNT is cool and all, but it doesn't pique my interest), but the fact that the Brawl developers are working on it makes it a title to avoid. For me, anyways.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Guys it's not like Sakurai is developing the game. After all, he was in charge of Brawl and the team was just following orders to get a paycheck.

For all we know, Ubisoft could be more hardcore or whatever.

So far, the only to worry about is that is game gonna anime-ize an American cartoon?

Ange

Smash Lord
It feels like this game will probably be a total ripoff of the Smash Bros. franchise with slight modifications. :/ Ive never been interested in TMNT tho, but I got a bad feeling about this game.
I dont dislike Brawl, so thats not the reason why, it's simply feels it would be too much like it.

However I gotta wait until there is some kind of trailer for it, then I might judge it better. P:

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Funny how there's also a TMNT game called mutant melee.

I'm not really interested in this game. Cheap rip offs of SSB suck (The odd exception being JSU, but that game includes chars from multiple different games unlike this game).

-:bowser:Bowser King

Minato

穏やかじゃない
It would've been cool if the Smash team made the next Jump! Superstars game instead...

I really wonder how this game's going to turn out.
I'm more of an old school Turtle fan so I might be a little lost on some of the newer characters.

When I first read about this announcement, I was thinking that this will be a terrible game, now I'm curious on how it's going to turn out.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'm not too sure if I like this or not. I always liked how the smash series was so unique and original with it's gamestyle (with the exception of Jump Superstar). Plus it's by the Brawl developers so you can expect it to be popular but suck tit. D=

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
A few more details I've been able to gather:

- They're treating the voice acting very conservatively. They don't want it to get annoying.

- Character models look as good or better than Brawl. They look like they take after the movie's turtle designs.

- Environments also look about on par with Brawl's. You'll can trigger some of the stage hazards by attacking them. There's also poles you can swing off of.

- The enviornments are a little less fantastical than Brawl, but everything is still visibly bright.

- You can run up walls to recover from being knocked off the stage. No word said about up-B's, but there will be additional recovery techniques.

- Like Smash Bros,there's a distinction between regular moves, throws and special moves. Maybe some combos as well.

- You can do jumping attacks off walls, and attack while hanging on ledges.

- Gamecube controls are a maybe, but they're looking into an advanced control scheme for those who don't take to the Wiimote + nunchuck. Could be implying the classic controller.

- Items will return in some form, although pizza is the only one implemented so far. Taunts are back as well.

- KO either by knocking out of the arena or depleting damage. Rules can be customized.

- Turtles and splinter the only characters confirmed so far.

- Single player WON'T be a sidescroller like Subspace Emissary.

- Some stages will be like the Fire Emblem one, and have multiple parts to it. Only this time, the players will trigger stage shifts themselves.

- The aim is to make the fighting engine deeper than Brawl's.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Well from the details you just gave about the game it sounds like this might be a decent buy.

Not so fond of out of the ring victories though.

Crispy4001

Smash Ace
Oh, and the developer is confirmed to be Game Arts. They even interview a Games Arts guy in the issue.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
As long as the characters can combo I'll be interested. Hopefully Mikey owns even though Leo was my best character on TMNT for SNES. If Chrome Dome is in though he'll be a beast for sure.

Top Bottom