• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To All Aspiring Combo Video Makers

Osi

Smash Ace
I kinda doubt it gets a sticky this soon. If you want to help its chances maybe add more video editing software to check out besides vegas, explain in more detail which effects are nice for beginning editors, and talk about multi layer music syncing (far too many will just try to sync to the drum beat, or just sync kill hits).

I do like the OP, and I hope something like this will get a sticky at some point. The rest of the thread has had a bit of clutter in the opening pages, so staying on topic here on out may help matters.

Osi

Smash Ace
Nice additions to the OP!

May want to expand on why no screamo, metal, death metal... I assume you mean the fast pace that simply doesn't match most games, so the footage doesn't sync well. Not to mention it can turn off some viewers hehe. There are some decent metal/death metal bands to use, or at least some tracks that match ok. I think it's just a matter of not using a track that doesn't fit your footage at all.

Also, a awesome example of editing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P38ZVmYNkmg

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
halo is for scrubs, just because an assload of #baddie fan boys bought a terrible game doesnt mean ****

play a real game
lol
10brawls

Also 5ive, you should add some advice on final renders and what not.
When I made my combo video, I used Adobe Premiere Pro 2, and the file rendered to about 2gb.

Then I used Window Media Encoder (Which is a free program) to significantly reduce the file size (I managed to bring it down from 2gb to 60mb) with minimal loss in quality.

I just think it's important because people like to download the whole file for playback.

5ive

Smash Champion
Well it all depends on your preferred quality on youtube. You can render in HD which calls for bad standard quality but HD quality, or you can render in wmv, which is the default file for Sony Vegas. It has good standard quality and good high quality.

If I have time, I'll update the guide. And I seriously think this needs to be stickied. It will help and inspire future combo video makers! Hopefully this will help the Brawl Community out.

Any ideas for a new Thread Name anyone?

5ive

Smash Champion
Well, to be honest, my first intention was to make it an inspiration thread. I wanted Combo Video Makers to step their game up. Then I was told to put specific info on what tools they needed, and specific effects that were good.

I guess that name could work, but it goes against my original intention of the thread.

Osi

Smash Ace
I updated my shadows video and added a lot of changed editing.

I tried to focus on most of the areas you mentioned in the critique on the combo video thread for it. I hope you guys like this version of it more than the other!

Video: Shadows
Edited by: Osi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijZoI3qE0_g

I'm really glad this thread is here. Hopefully more faqs and guides can be added to it as other video makers visit in the forum.

Osi

Smash Ace
Hehe ^^

Nice sig btw 5ive! Omg you should link it to this thread! Do they allow the HTML coding to link images to threads on here?

I'm working on the video yet again lol, replied to your PM. Do you happen to have any that we could look at? I'd love to see one of your vids!

Osi

Smash Ace
I do have a series of older vids.
It's my Pikachu Video Guide.
The editing is a bit different than I last described, because...well, it's not a combo vid.
It's okay editing I guess, But it's pretty old for my standards.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md848biPmWA&feature=channel_page&fmt=18

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edQ3cq1BDCs&feature=channel&fmt=18
Tnx for posting them! Actually pretty good for a brawl pika tutorial. I dabbled in pika on brawl before quitting, one of the funnest characters to use! Have you tried him on brawl+

These may be good examples to put in a section on the faq for how to make tutorial videos!

nevershootme

Smash Master
here's a problem I have at the moment, I have videos on my youtube page, but the original videos that were kept in my computer got erased (had to make room to record matches every week and no time to dump them into my external). all matches were recorded in .mpeg and when uploaded, they put out in high quality, even when I watch the recorded footage itself it looks good.

how do I go into retrieving my lost footage that were uploaded on youtube and convert them into proper formats for editing into my video while trying to maintain high quality. also, which encoding format should i use to get the best possible viewing quality on youtube without killing a load of hdd space

Kirk

Smash Champion
I'm a big fan of premiere + after effects. They go a long way if you know how to use them. Looking back I probably overdid the editing in my first combo vid(see sig) but I still think it turned out pretty good.

Good stuff in the OP btw.

:D

Osi

Smash Ace
Nice! The OP is quickly becoming a well rounded guide to all sides of video making^^.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
How relevant do you think the music should be compared to the subject of the video? I mean, are remixes too cliche? Can I go electronic if my character isn't really futuristic? etc...

MRGAY

Smash Cadet
How relevant do you think the music should be compared to the subject of the video? I mean, are remixes too cliche? Can I go electronic if my character isn't really futuristic? etc...
Pacing is more important than implied scenario. Instead of focusing on what genre would fit, think of what songs you know would work well with how fast you play, and see if you can build a video with intervals of different pacing.

A good thing to keep in mind is that, when you have unique moves (not a cookie cutter combo) try to highlight that in some way instead of throwing slow-mo on a move that everyone's seen before. If you don't have any moments that seem really unique and effective that you can highlight, you probably shouldn't be making a combo video in the first place. *most c. falcon videos

5ive

Smash Champion
There is a whole discussion about this on Halo3Forums, PLUS I am very experienced in video editing.

It all depends on what mood you wish to achieve. Most people making Halo 3 forums like "chill" music.

You SHOULD be unique though. Techno has a very strong beat, and you usually have to pick certain areas in which to sync. That is very hard; it just doesn't flow at all.

I also don't think the poster above me knows what I mean about slow down. I didn't say you to slow down to emphasize hits (Nor am I saying not to). Read the thread again, and check out the examples.

What I'm saying is, get experienced with editing. You know you're getting at a high level when you can think of something creative and editing that flows into the music to make the video and sound ONE. You also know your getting at a high level when you don't have to ask people for help.

I recommend getting experienced before making your video.

MRGAY

Smash Cadet
There is a whole discussion about this on Halo3Forums, PLUS I am very experienced in video editing.

It all depends on what mood you wish to achieve. Most people making Halo 3 forums like "chill" music.

You SHOULD be unique though. Techno has a very strong beat, and you usually have to pick certain areas in which to sync. That is very hard; it just doesn't flow at all.

I also don't think the poster above me knows what I mean about slow down. I didn't say you to slow down to emphasize hits (Nor am I saying not to). Read the thread again, and check out the examples.

What I'm saying is, get experienced with editing. You know you're getting at a high level when you can think of something creative and editing that flows into the music to make the video and sound ONE. You also know your getting at a high level when you don't have to ask people for help.

I recommend getting experienced before making your video.
You keep asking for a sticky, but you're not doing anything to try to actually help people. All you're doing is saying you're good at editing, while not producing any proof. You do like the word chill a lot though, keep throwing that into every post, that'll help people.

5ive

Smash Champion
What the?
Overstatement + tantrum when I didn't even cause a reason for this to start?

Even though you ARE being a troll, I can't be friends with everyone.
I guess your name is fitting.
Good Day.

Ijosh

Smash Apprentice
What the?
Overstatement + tantrum when I didn't even cause a reason for this to start?

Even though you ARE being a troll, I can't be friend with everyone.
I guess your name is fitting.
Good Day.
lmao......

KingKirb

Smash Journeyman
You keep asking for a sticky, but you're not doing anything to try to actually help people. All you're doing is saying you're good at editing, while not producing any proof. You do like the word chill a lot though, keep throwing that into every post, that'll help people.
Have you even read the thread?
This is one of the most helpful topics EVER!

Good Job 5ive. Hope this gets stickied.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I decided to sticky this, because it certainly will help aspring combo video makers, including myself.

Contemplating on moving it to Videography section though...

Top Bottom