• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

to Making THP's (Brawl's movie files)

agoaj

Smash Cadet
I can't get the smash eater 2 video to play right. It slows down in some sections. If you raised the compression on the individual jpeg frames would the resulting THP be smaller and easier to stream? If so could you upload a lower quality version of the smash eater 2 thp?
For the record I'm using riivolution and a defragmented USB thumbdrive.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Hi,
I want to create some video for brawl but I don't find the download link for THPconv.exe.
Could you give me the download link please.

I'm french so I don't understand all, and sorry for my bad english.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
I can't get the smash eater 2 video to play right. It slows down in some sections. If you raised the compression on the individual jpeg frames would the resulting THP be smaller and easier to stream? If so could you upload a lower quality version of the smash eater 2 thp?
For the record I'm using riivolution and a defragmented USB thumbdrive.
Lower our quality to there levels? (lol jk). ill give it a try later today.

Hi,
I want to create some video for brawl but I don't find the download link for THPconv.exe.
Could you give me the download link please.

I'm french so I don't understand all, and sorry for my bad english.
Dont worry about the English, unlike others, your at least trying :bee:

Sadly, we cannot should not provide the link, due to the fact that the file is illegal to distribute. i can say Google "Revolution SDK" and by downloading that, something useful will be in there.

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Updated that OP with Brawlvault links

Does this work with 64-bit computers? Because it said not capatable with 64-bit find upgraded file.
My Vista is x64, so yes. You probably double clicked it. If so, you DID IT WRAUNG. You need to use cmd, and type in the command.

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for your answer.
I finaly get it but when I open thpconv, a window appaers but it closes immediately.
I don't understand
What you need to do is use CMD
but I have open thpconv with the right click and "open" (i'm sorry it's difficult to explain for me:().

ChuteTheMessenger

Thank you for your answer.
I finaly get it but when I open thpconv, a window appaers but it closes immediately.
I don't understand but I have open thpconv with the right click and "open" (i'm sorry it's difficult to explain for me:().
You click Start on your computer and search for "cmd.exe" or "command prompt"
Start the command prompt and use the "cd" command to navigate to the folder where you have your images and sound, like this:

"cd C:\Users\whatever\the the folder you have stuff in"

And then you use the command in the OP. "THPConv -j *****.jpg -d Whatever.thp -s Sound.wav"

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
thank's, I can open THPconv but I have some "error".
So could you give me a picture from a series of JPG's as an exemple, please ?
Then I'll take it as model for my own JPG's.

ChuteTheMessenger

Why, yes I do.

I've written a simple GUI to use with THPConv for those completely without the knowledge of how to use CMD.Will put up after I finish testing it

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
The following should be noted for the PAL version:
A few movies have names which deviate from those shown in the list in the original post. I can only assume the original post is correct and the file names have just been arbitrarily changed by Nintendo for reasons which only Nintendo can understand.

16-02P.thp is now called 16-02M.thp
16-02Z.thp is now called 16-02L.thp
12-00T.thp is now called 12-00HT.thp
43.00 is now called 43-00.thp

Yes, they changed the movies from being arbitrarily named after Peach and Zelda to Mario and Link seeing as how it's Mario and Link who are in those videos.

Yes, the PAL disc uses the Japanese character name for Toon Link (HT) for absolutely no reason.

The 43.thp -> 43-00.thp thing could just be a typo in the OP.

Movies not listed in the OP, but which are present on the PAL disc:
2006_Wii.thp
- Really short and weird clip. Only 2 seconds long, shows a screen with "???????" and "SAMPLE" with the Brawl icon as a backdrop plus, for some inexplicable reason, the Japanese Dairantou Smash Brothers X logo in the lower right corner. [Click here to view]
ADV_ending.thp - This one is weird. It's only half the resolution of all of the other movies, it only shows a completely black screen with the Brawl Opening Theme playing in the background. It's still relatively large: 45,5 mB.
Conference.thp - A Brawl trailer, the one that ends with a whole bunch of charactes taunting. Did the PAL version magically receive an extra trailer the NTSC-U version did not?!

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
@Yuna
ADV_ending.thp is the end game cut scene that plays during the credits of SSE

Conference THP was at E3. nuff said.

Both Are on the NTSC disc, but i do not think 2006_Wii does

@Xmanfit0
did the program work or are you having some difficulties?
EDIT: ima explore that time limit thing that prevents longer movies from being played... thank god i have a USB gecko!

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
Alright, so I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

I've got a THP file, and have put it into pf/movie but it still won't run and I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong. I've also switched the title's name to HowtoPlay since that's what I'm trying to replace.

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but it seemed like the best one to ask in. Afterall, what's the point in making THP files if you can't even get them working?

PieDisliker

Smash Lord
NNID
PieDisliker
I looked for like hours and still couldn't find it. First time google couldn't solve my problem.

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman

ChuteTheMessenger

Odd. Try running cmd as administrator. Or remove the read-only attribute to your jpgs if they have it.
Also, try putting your output files to a folder near C:\ or wherever your hard drive root is. I've often had programs have errors on my computer when I've tried to use them on files that are buried really deep into folders.

Also, your command is formatted wrong, which is why it may not be working. Try
"THConv -j *****.jpg -d BrawlPlusIntro.thp -s Sound.wav"
When working with cmd, try not to use too much spaces or symbols like "+" when putting in filenames, cus errors often occur that way. I usually just put something like "THP.thp" for the name and rename it after to avoid errors

I have been on KC:MM for a long time, XD. Will make changes to OP as needed to answer your questions/problems/etc.

Yea the program works I just need to go test it on a computer/os other than mine to make sure it works

EDIT: Important stuff, Yuna's info, and Youtube Downloader added to OP

gamecrazy94

Smash Rookie
NNID
gamecrazy94
3DS FC
2320-6128-1064
Odd. Try running cmd as administrator. Or remove the read-only attribute to your jpgs if they have it.
Also, try putting your output files to a folder near C:\ or wherever your hard drive root is. I've often had programs have errors on my computer when I've tried to use them on files that are buried really deep into folders.

Also, your command is formatted wrong, which is why it may not be working. Try
"THConv -j *****.jpg -d BrawlPlusIntro.thp -s Sound.wav"
When working with cmd, try not to use too much spaces or symbols like "+" when putting in filenames, cus errors often occur that way. I usually just put something like "THP.thp" for the name and rename it after to avoid errors

I have been on KC:MM for a long time, XD. Will make changes to OP as needed to answer your questions/problems/etc.

Yea the program works I just need to go test it on a computer/os other than mine to make sure it works

EDIT: Important stuff, Yuna's info, and Youtube Downloader added to OP
Thanks a lot! :bee: I have the THP Player and i watched it, but now the jpegs's are going to fast, going ahead of the music i have. set for it Is there anyway to fix that, or do i need to do something different?

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
Thanks a lot! :bee: I have the THP Player and i watched it, but now the jpegs's are going to fast, going ahead of the music i have. set for it Is there anyway to fix that, or do i need to do something different?
Find the framerate of the original video and use that. if that doesnt work, use the framerate you use to export with super.

ChuteTheMessenger

You have to keep the same framerate when re-encoding.

Re-open the original vid, and use the SUPER multimedia analysis box to find the framerate as shown in Step 2.

In SUPER, you have to select the framerate option that is the same as the displayed FPS. (If it says 29.97 in the Analysis box, pick 29.97 in SUPER)

And in CMD when you use THPConv, you must also use the same framerate. As a default, THPConv creates at 29.97 FPS. If your video is any other framerate, specify it with -r at the end of the command

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
GUI for THPConv is up, please test and tell me if it works

Edit: readme.txt updated
Works perfectly for me (X32).

Edit: THP hacking has never been easier.

Edit: i have a ridiculous theory: the timing of the thp (how long it lasts) along with a few other things is determined by the MDL0 its attached to. ive been working on making the opening transparent, and i know which one it attaches to. i replaced everything in the .pac with a Static MDL0 (the one used on stages) and everything disappeared, but the video didn't play in the background. i replaced the black wide screen mdl0 with it and my emulator straight up crashed on me. i also replace it with the captain falcon image MDL0 located in the pac and you wont believe this: it took the size of that MDL0. by utilizing this, we could easily make characters that constantly change colors, or whenever someone dies, the killers Sig flys across the screen.

Edit: i just replaced it with the Sonic MDL0. The TvC opening attached itself to him, and played on him like an animated texture.

ChuteTheMessenger

Works perfectly for me (X32).

Edit: THP hacking has never been easier.

Edit: i have a ridiculous theory: the timing of the thp (how long it lasts) along with a few other things is determined by the MDL0 its attached to. ive been working on making the opening transparent, and i know which one it attaches to. i replaced everything in the .pac with a Static MDL0 (the one used on stages) and everything disappeared, but the video didn't play in the background. i replaced the black wide screen mdl0 with it and my emulator straight up crashed on me. i also replace it with the captain falcon image MDL0 located in the pac and you wont believe this: it took the size of that MDL0. by utilizing this, we could easily make characters that constantly change colors, or whenever someone dies, the killers Sig flys across the screen.

Edit: i just replaced it with the Sonic MDL0. The TvC opening attached itself to him, and played on him like an animated texture.
That sounds psychedelically AWESOME. Could you show me a vid or send me an example file showcasing this? I've seen someone on youtube make something like that with animated textures, but that was a long time ago and nothing to the degree of what you said. Tell me if you make any progress with that

If you ever find what controls the length limit, that would break one of the biggest annoyances of making THP's. It's been my hypothesis that the lengths are stored in the pacs in param, but I haven't tested any of that yet.

btw, are you using vista? I wish I could do something like Dant and write a standalone program that can batch convert to THP, but I'm nowhere near that good

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
That sounds psychedelically AWESOME. Could you show me a vid or send me an example file showcasing this? I've seen someone on youtube make something like that with animated textures, but that was a long time ago and nothing to the degree of what you said. Tell me if you make any progress with that

If you ever find what controls the length limit, that would break one of the biggest annoyances of making THP's. It's been my hypothesis that the lengths are stored in the pacs in param, but I haven't tested any of that yet.

btw, are you using vista? I wish I could do something like Dant and write a standalone program that can batch convert to THP, but I'm nowhere near that good
I can't show you a video, just replace any working MDL0 on the MenAdvChrCmn1000_TopN within misc data 30 (sc_title_en.pac).

The lengths are undoubtedly stored in them. i can tell that because of what i said in my post regarding on how the THP waits to play: it sets the time to start, and it sets the time to end. it also sets the time to annoy the crap out of us; which is now.

i am using Windows 7 32 bit, and i dont ever see a completely automatic one coming. I dont think you'll get this one, but it will never be compatible with SD loading.

Tomorrow, im going to make a Mario texture that uses the opening video as a texture. if this works, ill PM you with info, and probably release on the 2 hacking teams im on.

ChuteTheMessenger

I can't show you a video, just replace any working MDL0 on the MenAdvChrCmn1000_TopN within misc data 30 (sc_title_en.pac).

The lengths are undoubtedly stored in them. i can tell that because of what i said in my post regarding on how the THP waits to play: it sets the time to start, and it sets the time to end. it also sets the time to annoy the crap out of us; which is now.

i am using Windows 7 32 bit, and i dont ever see a completely automatic one coming. I dont think you'll get this one, but it will never be compatible with SD loading.

Tomorrow, im going to make a Mario texture that uses the opening video as a texture. if this works, ill PM you with info, and probably release on the 2 hacking teams im on.
So basically the lengths are in sc_title_en.pac > MenAdvChrCmn1000_TopN > misc data 30?

I'll go export it all and see what happens if I mess around with a Hex editor.

Brawlbox uses BrawlLib, which has commands that allow it to read and decipher most of brawl's file formats, I believe. I'm not sure how it works, but if THP compatibility were somehow implemented, we could convert stuff to THP within the Brawlbox GUI or something.

Why is SD Loading an impossibility? Too large files? It works with Riivo, I guess. PW hasn't made a new FP code in some time, I have no idea what he's up to. But I would guess it is possible if he were to modify the code.

I'll check around for your mario texture. I could make a video of it if you want, if still images don't do the job adequately

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
So basically the lengths are in sc_title_en.pac > MenAdvChrCmn1000_TopN > misc data 30?

I'll go export it all and see what happens if I mess around with a Hex editor.

Brawlbox uses BrawlLib, which has commands that allow it to read and decipher most of brawl's file formats, I believe. I'm not sure how it works, but if THP compatibility were somehow implemented, we could convert stuff to THP within the Brawlbox GUI or something.

Why is SD Loading an impossibility? Too large files? It works with Riivo, I guess. PW hasn't made a new FP code in some time, I have no idea what he's up to. But I would guess it is possible if he were to modify the code.

I'll check around for your mario texture. I could make a video of it if you want, if still images don't do the job adequately
The MenAdvChrCmn1000_TopN is within the Misc data 30, but yeah, thats what im assuming at this point.

Yeah, but the only person that can make drastic changes to brawl lib is currently Kyral, who kinda left. Bero is getting more awesome though.

lol, that was a reference to music files. when we first had music hacks, it wasnt SD compatible, only ISO (lol, not even USB at the time). all the noobs would ask when we would get sd loading for it, and everyone said it was impossible and couldn't be done.
10 minutes after i spend hours on learning how to make BRSTMs and put them in my iso...
They got Phantom Winged.
its much like what happened yesterday morning, when i made about 3 thp's and checked here to learn that it was much easier to do it now.

And if my mario thing works, there will be videos!

ChuteTheMessenger

Hm. Will poke around with the TopN then.

I wasn't aware Kryal was dead. That explains why there haven't been any brawlbox updates. Anyone know what PW has been up to lately?

Show me ya vids if it works, I am very intrigued by the idea of video textures

ChuteTheMessenger

I can't do this right now since I will be very busy this week and I have yet to learn to do this, but I just HAVE to suggest this.

Someone should take this video and shorten it in parts or something to make it fit into Brawl's opening.

It's incredibly epic, Brawl 300 trailer and all the sounds and music match up perfectly to scenes shown in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhRGweLMCD0&playnext_from=TL&videos=5ft9czrRXTM
I'm done with it, but it's 23 seconds over the limit. From here, I could try to find out how to break the length limit, or you could help and edit the video and take out 23 seconds of stuff you deem unnecessary. I would do it, by currently I don't have a computer powerful enough to handle video editing. It can barely convert videos, either.

Edit: fixed brawlvault links in OP

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
I'm done with it, but it's 23 seconds over the limit. From here, I could try to find out how to break the length limit, or you could help and edit the video and take out 23 seconds of stuff you deem unnecessary. I would do it, by currently I don't have a computer powerful enough to handle video editing. It can barely convert videos, either.

Edit: fixed brawlvault links in OP
Try to figure out how to break the length limit, that would greatly help XD

but I'll try editing the video, do you know any good video editing programs though? One's that are free and don't take up too much space(I don't have that much space left on my computer)

Could you send the video file to me?

ChuteTheMessenger

No problem, I'll convert it into THP when I have the time. There are certain filters and programs you could use to sharpen the video, but not all work well. And generally, videos lose quality when converted to THP. This is why videos with vector-like (cartoonish or unrealistic) graphics work much better than realistic ones, in which pixelation is more obvious. I'll see if I can get it to look better.

ManicHedgehog

Smash Rookie
I need some help, I'm working on creating a .thp of this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_HddDpgAbo, but the framerate is extremely low, (23.964 fps to be exact), and I can't find a way to get the Audio to sync, I sense the problem is from when I'm creating the thp, I can post a link to the .thp file if you'd like.

Top Bottom