• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To the new guys / swift be playing dat ssf4

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
recently been playing ssf4 and tourney hoppin a bit(locals) in the SSF4 community hot damm.

Playing SSF4 has not only made me a smarter player but a more humble one. I am grateful that I have smash to play. It had been so long since I lost the VAST majority of the casuals/friendlies that I played with ppl. Losing to ppls characters that they dun really play is kinda crappy too but its motivation. everything is motivation and you just gotta take ur licks.

wow being the worst player in the room sucks. its kinda demoralizing but like getting off those few times/ hearing the guys say good **** once or twice makes it all worth it. the erie feeling that they may be thinking that "you suck" and "ugh I dun wanna play this guy" was really nerve racking, but like its motivation to get better too. all the more power to you new guys in smash keep at it you guys are kinda motivating me to keep playing ssf4.

this is taking me back to my first year of smash.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I love it when you 2 stock someone better than you in an impossible match-up then getting advance. Really my advance is to take anything and everything to fuel yourself if you win/lose take it in the povistive way.

I didn't really like how the game looked if I got into dtreet fighter I would play an older one but I like that sauka chick.

good luck with that.

Shoopman

Smash Journeyman
the erie feeling that they may be thinking that "you suck" and "ugh I dun wanna play this guy" was really nerve racking, but like its motivation to get better too.
This is exactly how I feel whenever I go to a tournament, but like you said, it's motivation. It's not easy taking all those losses, especially when I do better with my Roy than with my Marth >_> Just gotta keep going though. Glad to see you got respect for the new players.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
This is exactly how I feel whenever I go to a tournament, but like you said, it's motivation. It's not easy taking all those losses, especially when I do better with my Roy than with my Marth >_> Just gotta keep going though. Glad to see you got respect for the new players.
I do cuz i came up as one of the scrubiest myself.

my first smashfest I only played ppl who I know would fox ditto me or play a matchup that I thought I knew. I CG'd THE whole time.(or at least tried to.)

and yea about roy. I feel like that with all of my SSF4 character choices up until my last one which may have some potential(we'll see come evo). its a miracle that I play fox/marth cuz in every other game i've tried to pick up, I've been attracted to jank/mid tier...

DoctorBendz

Smash Cadet
SSFIV is the brawl of Street Fighter, I hear. SSFII HDR being the Melee, in case you're wondering, but IV is the one I've learned so far too =p. Gonna get HDR soon.

But, since beginning my quest to learn Street Fighter (and soon MvC2 skillz will be better as well), I've discovered that learning to play SF correctly improved my understanding of spacing by like, a million bajillion times. Footsies is SO much more apparent and inherently important in SF than it is in Melee. Footsies being the equivalent of what the smash community would call spacing....basically.

I always wondered why my friend used to beat my Marth with his one-handed Marth (USED to). It was because he plays EVERY fighting game he can, as long as it's fast, requires lots of button presses and is difficult to master. Because he's so good at footsies Street Fighter, and could transfer that into melee his spacing was so much better than mine that he'd consistently be the exact distance away from me he needed to be so that when I would Whiff, he would hit my whiffing character, without moving forward. Because that's what Footsies is all about.

From my limited MvC2 experience (albeit, the only time I've played is while being trained to play on a competitive level by this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJgpwfDGyi0) It's a ****ing awesome game, and has a GREAT community that's not bent on banning ****, and embraces infinites...*ahem*. I would say that MvC2 would create a greater understanding of teammates' relationship to one another that could be transfered to melee.

tl;dr
Play other fighters. The emphasis on different skills will bring things in melee to light and help improve many aspects of your game. In My Experience. Although, I still suck at this game, but I swear it's helped.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
SSFIV is the brawl of Street Fighter, I hear. SSFII HDR being the Melee, in case you're wondering, but IV is the one I've learned so far too =p. Gonna get HDR soon.

But, since beginning my quest to learn Street Fighter (and soon MvC2 skillz will be better as well), I've discovered that learning to play SF correctly improved my understanding of spacing by like, a million bajillion times. Footsies is SO much more apparent and inherently important in SF than it is in Melee. Footsies being the equivalent of what the smash community would call spacing....basically.

I always wondered why my friend used to beat my Marth with his one-handed Marth (USED to). It was because he plays EVERY fighting game he can, as long as it's fast, requires lots of button presses and is difficult to master. Because he's so good at footsies Street Fighter, and could transfer that into melee his spacing was so much better than mine that he'd consistently be the exact distance away from me he needed to be so that when I would Whiff, he would hit my whiffing character, without moving forward. Because that's what Footsies is all about.

From my limited MvC2 experience (albeit, the only time I've played is while being trained to play on a competitive level by this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJgpwfDGyi0) It's a ****ing awesome game, and has a GREAT community that's not bent on banning ****, and embraces infinites...*ahem*. I would say that MvC2 would create a greater understanding of teammates' relationship to one another that could be transfered to melee.

tl;dr
Play other fighters. The emphasis on different skills will bring things in melee to light and help improve many aspects of your game. In My Experience. Although, I still suck at this game, but I swear it's helped.
i think smash is its own fighting game genre(hence it never rly being solid on the evo circuit or any of the other fighter circuits.) yeah there are elements that are prominent in SF that help you in smash, but to call SSF4 the brawl of SF i think is a misconception. LOTS of premises from older SF's have been carried over for decades and into SSF4. even lots of 3S stuff carried over. The game has too many iterations and to compare it the 2 iterations in smash just seems misguided. Brawl was clearly a trip down the unbeaten path in comparison to melee.

I agree about most of the other stuff you said about spacing and ****, but I DO think that you are starting to generalize things a bit much.i.e footsies in SF = spacing in smash....thats a hell of a stretch. Are suggesting that spacing = footsies or that one game has one but not the other?

DoctorBendz

Smash Cadet
Brawl of SF as in it is significantly slower and less technical than the previous SF iterations, as MvC3 will likely be slower and less technical than MvC2, because as more people are brought to the game market, a smaller percentage of gamers actually desire a huge challenge and amount of difficulty in their games, therefore companies make easier, slower games that people can keep up with in order to appeal to the wider, newer gaming crowd. It's an expression, if you will. Obviously, if you asked SSFIV people about it, they would disagree, just as Brawl people would disagree.

And, I was just pointing general **** and basic comparisons of things that have helped me out. Not really trying to directly compare the two games as being the same fighter.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
Brawl of SF as in it is significantly slower and less technical than the previous SF iterations, as MvC3 will likely be slower and less technical than MvC2, because as more people are brought to the game market, a smaller percentage of gamers actually desire a huge challenge and amount of difficulty in their games, therefore companies make easier, slower games that people can keep up with in order to appeal to the wider, newer gaming crowd. It's an expression, if you will. Obviously, if you asked SSFIV people about it, they would disagree, just as Brawl people would disagree.

And, I was just pointing general **** and basic comparisons of things that have helped me out. Not really trying to directly compare the two games as being the same fighter.
kk

=)

pound3

Top Bottom