• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
Not gonna lie, I was grinning throughout the video while observing all the references to Treasure Tracker as well as various other games that the Toads have played a big role in. From the Wario's Woods critters, Princess Shroob-ette alt, SMB2 giant turnip carry speed as well as Toad himself appearing with a ? Block strapped on as his own "backpack" - you really did a great job putting everything together for this moveset YoshiandToad YoshiandToad ! This is the kind of kit I would love to see added to Mario's cast with the zanny; yet, comical fighting style that also endorses various elements of both puzzle and platformer games.

It's really nice to see how you played out the stage manipulation idea as well for the Captain as it's very much the key aspect of Treasure Tracker. The platform rise + WW running up walls combo is very unique in addition to the combos it can be used with his other moves like the minecart. Also the twist with the Double Draggadon - the Double Cherry power-up should certainly see some love via Captain Toad indeed!

Keep up the swell work, this video deserves more credit! If only Sakurai himself can see it now!

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Okay, 2 things:

1. Fantastic moveset animation!

2. Hey there, Hi there, Ho there, can I join this jamboree?
This mushroom boi is one of my top 5 most wanted in a Smash game, so you already know my reason for showing up!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Okay, 2 things:

1. Fantastic moveset animation!

2. Hey there, Hi there, Ho there, can I join this jamboree?
This mushroom boi is one of my top 5 most wanted in a Smash game, so you already know my reason for showing up!
ive added you to our support list one thing though, this is more of a brigade than a jamboree

Cart Boy

Smash Rookie
May I join this Brigade too, fogbadge? Captain Toad's one of my most wanted newcomers.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I'll join in on the Brigade (and Jamboree since that sounds especially fun) as well! Lurker since the Smash 4 speculation days and finally came around to show my support. Toad isn't my favorite Mario character but he's certainly paid his 30 years of dues to get a spot. The good captain is way too unique to pass up!

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Toad gets my support. He's the only major Mario who has yet to be playable in a Smash game, especially since he was one of my favorite characters as a kid.

Plus, it's easy to use Toadsworth as Peach's shield.

Although, I prefer the main Toad instead of Captain Toad, unless Captain gets a regular Toad alt ala Wario.

Even though Waluigi is my ideal choice for a Mario newcomer, he's technically classfied a Wario character now so.......

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Even if it's not changed to Toadsworth, there's a big distinction between those Toads Peach uses and Captain Toad. They look totally different, so I don't see it as a huge issue if they're both in.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Although, I prefer the main Toad instead of Captain Toad, unless Captain gets a regular Toad alt ala Wario.
Hopefully we get alts for Captain Toadette and both characters' regular attires. If they could only have eight palettes, maybe the other two could be inverted cap colors like when Toad is small in 3D World.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
My ideas for costumes/skins is to have 4 and 4, 4 Toads and 4 Toadettes.

1. Captain Toad (regular)
  2. Hint Toad (blue with glasses)
  3. Yellow Toad
  4. Green Toad
  5. Archivist Toadette
  6. Purple Toadette
  7. Orange Toadette
  8. Red Toadette (reverse mini Captain Toad)
The first 4 are based on members of the Toad Brigade (for some reason Mailtoad wasn't in Treasure Tracker), and the next 4 are just Toadette skins. They would all still wear the backpack and equipment of course.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
BRIGADE! ASSEMBLE!

I've finished my Captain Toad moveset! It's animated!

I know we've all talked about giving the Captain small jumps but I thought I'd try and see if a NO JUMP moveset was even vaguely feasible.

Check it out and give me feedback. Feel free to share this on social media too and to anyone you think it'd benefit!

-YoshiandToad
Wow, this is amazing! I didn't think Captain Toad had too much moveset potential but I was really wrong. I really want to play as him now.

I had not posted in this thread before for some reason but I support both regular and Captain Toad.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'll join in on the Brigade (and Jamboree since that sounds especially fun) as well! Lurker since the Smash 4 speculation days and finally came around to show my support. Toad isn't my favorite Mario character but he's certainly paid his 30 years of dues to get a spot. The good captain is way too unique to pass up!
Toad gets my support. He's the only major Mario who has yet to be playable in a Smash game, especially since he was one of my favorite characters as a kid.

Plus, it's easy to use Toadsworth as Peach's shield.

Even though Waluigi is my ideal choice for a Mario newcomer, he's technically classfied a Wario character now so.......
Wow, this is amazing! I didn't think Captain Toad had too much moveset potential but I was really wrong. I really want to play as him now.

I had not posted in this thread before for some reason but I support both regular and Captain Toad.
ok youre all added, if dragadon is asleep leave him be

Last edited:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
So I'm writing this here cause I feel like you guys won't judge me. :p

I found out I have the 12th off next week so I'll be able to watch Nintendo's E3 Direct live! But I have already planned what I'm gonna do that day. I am going to wear my favorite shirt (which is a red shirt with Toad on it that says "Free hugs!") And I'm gonna gather up my Toad merchandise (I have a few plushes and a little figurine that my boyfriend bought me for Christmas last year.)

I just want to send all the positive Toad energy that I possibly can that day. :p

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman
We can definitely use all the shroomy energy possible for sure! I might not have a whole lot of time that day, but I'll definitely be wishing our brigade the best of luck! Hopefully the one Toad figure I have on my desk can emit some Toady energy too. :D Can't believe we're only a week away from e3!

Also I think the more Toad alts, the better - like a celebration of all major Toads over the years. Toads are a significant and iconic race to the Mario series, so I think it's about time we got the fungal crew to be Smashing. Perhaps like we'll see some new Treasure Tracker footage too for the further Odyssey stages as well. If only such footage of TT was shown off early, only for the Smash logo to appear right after! Perhaps I'm being too hopeful, but let's see how it goes!

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So that animated move set I did? Currently sitting at 10k views. Lots of comments about how people were not hyped for Captain Toad but now they're fans of the idea.

Interestingly a lot of people are split on how strong Captain Toad is here. Some have called him out for being OP, some think he's too nerfed.

Reminds me if Little Mac. Guess I created a balanced fighter sort of!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
So that animated move set I did? Currently sitting at 10k views. Lots of comments about how people were not hyped for Captain Toad but now they're fans of the idea.

Interestingly a lot of people are split on how strong Captain Toad is here. Some have called him out for being OP, some think he's too nerfed.

That is AMAZING!
I'm glad your work got the recognition is deserves! I can tell you worked hard on it!
Good job on spreading the word of Captain Toad!!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

youve done us toad fans proud

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
BRIGADE! ASSEMBLE!

I've finished my Captain Toad moveset! It's animated!

I know we've all talked about giving the Captain small jumps but I thought I'd try and see if a NO JUMP moveset was even vaguely feasible.

Check it out and give me feedback. Feel free to share this on social media too and to anyone you think it'd benefit!

-YoshiandToad
It took me a while to see this for some reason, but I wanted to just tell you how much I love it! You did an amazing job.

I already support captain Toad as the next logical Mario character, but your Moveset video made me want to play as him. I don't think he even needs to keep the can't jump thing, but your Moveset was so original and fun it would be awesome. Too bad Sakurai probably won't go that route :/ but great job!

Last edited:

Propeller Toad

Smash Journeyman

And it looks to be growing in views too!

Though very well deserved as it's clear to see you put in a lot of work into that video (the amount of Toad references/history you put in is astounding!). Hopefully it gives folks a more open view about the whole "no jump" excuse similar to the GameXplain vid with the backweight weight shifting Captain Toad moveset. I've always wanted to make some contributions for the good Captain, but always failed to do so - very happy to see folks like you doing the best you can for the Toad community!

Who knows, perhaps Captain Toad might become top tier if he was to enter with such a moveset? :p Though lack of jumps prob would hamper him quite a bit, but I really am fond of the stage manipulation he can potentially bring in! Now this is an aspect that should always be emphasized over his lack of jumps, controlling the stages to your liking whether it be by zoning, creating platforms or simply causing chaos all around around. Regardless, I do very much like that you put in a moveset with the lack of jumping truly intact - most of us have made movesets that involved a weak or gimmicky jump of sorts instead, but this one does stay very true to his game.

Last edited:
Absurdly late post but I dont check threads very often.

Always been a fan of captain toad, but not anything that left him without a jump. . .but that video is probably the best evidence i've ever seen for it to work. Very nice stuff.
:061:

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice

I have been trying to spread the word and support for your video! I showed it to a few of my friends and made my boyfriend watch it. :p

And I shared it on my blog on tumblr. I have like.... 4 followers but I try to spread the word the best I can!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
And it looks to be growing in views too!

Though very well deserved as it's clear to see you put in a lot of work into that video (the amount of Toad references/history you put in is astounding!). Hopefully it gives folks a more open view about the whole "no jump" excuse similar to the GameXplain vid with the backweight weight shifting Captain Toad moveset. I've always wanted to make some contributions for the good Captain, but always failed to do so - very happy to see folks like you doing the best you can for the Toad community!

Who knows, perhaps Captain Toad might become top tier if he was to enter with such a moveset? :p Though lack of jumps prob would hamper him quite a bit, but I really am fond of the stage manipulation he can potentially bring in! Now this is an aspect that should always be emphasized over his lack of jumps, controlling the stages to your liking whether it be by zoning, creating platforms or simply causing chaos all around around. Regardless, I do very much like that you put in a moveset with the lack of jumping truly intact - most of us have made movesets that involved a weak or gimmicky jump of sorts instead, but this one does stay very true to his game.
Thank you very much. I may have to do a follow up one as some good points have been brought up so some things may have to be tweaked to make him mildly more viable and a little more fleshed out:
for example his stats, whether or not the up special can be angled, the up smash being a little too low to be of use, whether he can still jump out his shield, does his up special put him into a useless state or can he combine/cancel with aerials, can he throw turnips from the minecart. etc

Currently sitting at nearly 28k views, so the word of the good Captain is getting out at least!

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
Dang, I didn't get notified anymore, that's unfortunate.

In other news, since the signature icons are mostly broken, do we still have one for regular Toad I could use? He's the only character of mine I haven't been able to find.

Albo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AlboAlbo
hi! I'm super late to the Toad train but I'd love to be added to the support list. I think I was around during the Sm4sh speculation days too so I might already be on it...

anyway, like a lot of y'all Toad's my favorite Mario character and Captain Toad has only exacerbated my love for the little guy. I am personally okay with either so long as some Toad representation makes its way into Smash Switch, but I think Captain Toad has a greater chance what with him being a distinct character amongst a fairly generic species. certainly doesn't hurt that he has his own spinoff series and Power Moon missions in the biggest Mario game since (arguably) Galaxy under his belt.

i'm slightly more optimistic about his inclusion this time given that Sm4sh released just as Captain Toad was gaining traction in 3D World and even with his own game, and I think Sakurai's talked a lot about just how long it takes to develop a character for any Smash. now that Captain Toad's presence has had a few years to set and with no sign of stopping (Odyssey, Switch and 3DS ports), I think a Toad in Smash Switch, Captain or otherwise, makes more sense than ever in terms of moveset potential, character popularity, and even brand recognition at this point.

also YoshiandToad YoshiandToad i love that animation so much i've been fawning over it for days with no idea you were the one who made it. bless the stars for your creative and artistic touch to make a compelling argument for the little guy.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
hi! I'm super late to the Toad train but I'd love to be added to the support list. I think I was around during the Sm4sh speculation days too so I might already be on it...
yep youre already on it

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Do we think we could see Captain Toad at E3?

I can see it going either way. He's certainly well-recognized among the Nintendo community so I can see it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Do we think we could see Captain Toad at E3?

I can see it going either way. He's certainly well-recognized among the Nintendo community so I can see it.
I wish I could confidently say yes... but knowing how Toad was treated in Smash for the past 17 years, especially in 2013... I don't see it. I don't want to feel hopeful for Toad again, especially if it turned out to be false hope. :sadeyes:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
I wouldn't be too forlorn. Captain Toad saw a surge in popularity for the little guy. He's a lot different now from how he was in Sm4sh.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Aw, come on y'all! We can do better than this. I'm sure Captain Toad has a great shot! Just because he is not on any silly imgur rumors means nothing :)

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
Aw, come on y'all! We can do better than this. I'm sure Captain Toad has a great shot! Just because he is not on any silly imgur rumors means nothing :)
I am feeling very optimistic about Toad this time around! Not sure we'll see him at E3 or not... But I certainly hope so!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
It could go either way with Toad. E3 would be a great time because everyone would recognize him since he's a Mario character. At the same time, I don't know how "hype" he would be compared to Ridley, K. Rool, cut veterans, third parties, etc. They might hold him off until a Smash direct so that E3 would be about characters that have everyone jumping out of their seats and breaking the Internet.

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
It could go either way with Toad. E3 would be a great time because everyone would recognize him since he's a Mario character. At the same time, I don't know how "hype" he would be compared to Ridley, K. Rool, cut veterans, third parties, etc. They might hold him off until a Smash direct so that E3 would be about characters that have everyone jumping out of their seats and breaking the Internet.
That's what I was thinking as well!
Although as my most wanted character in Smash NO ONE would make me hype like Toad would. Ridley? Meh. Snake? Meh. Other characters people really seem to care about that I have no idea who they are? Meh.

It's like my hype levels are locked behind Toad.
Like even my 2nd and 3rd most wanted characters won't get me really hyped unless Toad is revealed.

But like... If we get Toad AND THEN characters like Ridley and Snake are confirmed I'll be much more excited!

jreed3842

Smash Apprentice
we should have rigged the ballot when we had the chance
I did the best I could... I submitted Toad on every electronic device I had. And then told my friends to do it and even got my parents to do it!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
we should have rigged the ballot when we had the chance
Tell me about it. I tried to vote for Toad and for Meowth multiple times. I don't think enough people voted for them multiple times.

Ultra*HappyCharge

Smash Apprentice
YoshiandToad YoshiandToad Your moveset video is just the thing I needed this week. That spark of creativity it gives off just made my day. It also convinced myself to buy Treasure Tracker for the 3DS and inspired me to continue on doing fanmade copy abilities and movesets for Kirby XD That video also got another member in the Toad Brigade and I hope I'm not that late~

Although, I do admit that a jumpless captain is turning me off just a bit but the clever and quirky pros, such as the platform creation and wall-walking, just outweighed that single con. Overall, I'm still fanboying with this work <3 Kudos to you~*

Top Bottom