• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad Discussion

Peeze

Smash Master
Leightweights=1 :( Heavyweights=3 :)

P.S. Iggy K thanks for the updated tier list guess i was wrong. But as the score indicates more people prefer Heavyweights.

P.P.S. DokturSea if u weren't spending so much time being a jack@$$ u'd realize that i never said that leightweights weren't going to be in brawl just that most people would use a heavier player. And since u said u like yoshi u actually supported my point idiot.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Leightweights=1 :( Heavyweights=3 :)

P.S. Iggy K thanks for the updated tier list guess i was wrong. But as the score indicates more people prefer Heavyweights.
In this small sample of people, heavyweights win out. But you can't use that as the be-all, end-all verdict. You're talking about 4 people in 1 thread that not everyone on the boards posts on. So yes, in this minute range of data, the heavyweights are more popular; however, that can't be honestly used as a true means of determining character weight preference.

And if it's really that important, I prefer lightweights. :lick:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Haha, thanks. I'm not trying to shoot you down or anything - I appreciate that you're willing and generally able to defend your position. Just getting my opinion out there as well. =)

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
LOL that would be a hilarious subtitle.

Another thought about Toad: should he be included in SSBB, do you think he'll be a default character or an unlockable? I'd like him as a default, but something tells me he'd be unlockable.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Peeze, I'll do you a favor out of the goodness of my heart and not report that post. You're welcome. =) Bee tee double you, I actually prefer lightweights. Yoshi I just love all around, but otherwise, lightweights FTW. I main Fox and Ness after Yoshi, so yeah.

Uh, I could see him being a default. I dunno, but I don't think he's secret enough to be secret.

Peeze

Smash Master
Lightweights=2
DokturSea
Aeris

Heavyweights=3
Peeze
DarkKnight077
hemightbegiant

(IggyK u said u prefer Peach but main Yoshi which do u prefer?)
P.S. definetly a default(next to Peach)

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Alright, this is getting way to off topic. Peeze if you want to defend heavyweights, make a thread in Melee discussion, but this is a thread about Toad, and a Toad thread it shall remain.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Alright Toad is going to be an okay character if ur forte is lightweight characters who i believe to be harder to master.
Are you kidding me? Can you honestly say with a straight face that Falco and Sheik are harder to use than Bowser and DK? Sheik is the ultimate easy-mode character, and the space animals are quite easy to get the hang of as well (At least Falco is, Fox is, again, too fast for me to use properly). On the heavyweight side of things, Bowser and DK are very difficult, at least for me. They are very powerful, but slow. A good, quick player can take a Bowser apart in seconds, unless the Bowser is controlled by some crazy Tournament-level smash-god.

When you say lightweights are difficult, are you talking about just Ness Pichu and Mewtwo? Those character are quite difficult as well, but for every "Difficult" lightweight, there is a powerful/easy lightweight to balance it (Like Sheik, Peach, Falco, Fox).

I'm not trying to be an A-hole, I'm just trying to make sure you know what your talking about.

Also, you implied that I suck at Smash, which was at once highly insulting AND uncalled for, But I already de-repped you for that one.

JPW

Smash Ace
Toad could be the oddjob of Goldeneye. Too small, and should get banned.

That's what we did, because oddjob was small we banned his character. Oh actually we said you can't use oddjob cause it gives you an advantage.

I kind of like toad being used as Peach's shield, it's quite comical if you ever taken a screenshot.

Also over the years I kind of got sick of Toad, and his stupid involvement in Mario Games. He's a scaredy cat for god's sake. And I believe he is one of the main reasons why Mario can never grow up.
Not that there's anything wrong with Mario's games, but toad just makes it look like it's for children still. Him and Baby Bowser.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
You can't honestly say that TOAD is one of the main reasons that Mario "can never grow up." Did you notice how the rest of them look? Totally cartoony. There are no "realistic" Mario characters - the thought alone is an oxymoron. It's a highly fantastical world, and all of the characters are childish in one way or another. Kinda hard to pin it on two characters. ;)

Peeze

Smash Master
First off to the people (the many people) i offended in this thread i apologize i have a quick wit and a short temper.
Second dotdotdot yes the lightweights i was referring to were ness pichu mewtwo and jiggz.
Sure smaller characters[ sheik and falco(my main)] are easy to use because of their comboability but mastering ALL aspects of their moveset is not too easy. My original point i was trying to make was the what JPW was sayin. Toad is TOO small to me to be in SSBB.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
so over the years I kind of got sick of Toad, and his stupid involvement in Mario Games. He's a scaredy cat for god's sake. And I believe he is one of the main reasons why Mario can never grow up.
Mario has been around for years, even without Toad, and does it look like he's getting much older? I don't think so. People love Toad in the games, becuase he is a cute mushroom character with a large head. They have made Toad do the impossible. He has driven a Kart, acted as Peach's sheild, and so much more. He has been a huge part of the games, and nobody can take that way from him.

Back on the age thing, if it ever happened to Mario he would be very old, just thinking about the years he has been around, and Toad wasn't there for all of it. This must be one of the worst excuses, because it's just not correct. So many characters, and in so many games don't exactly "grow up". Alot of characters never grow up, and Mario one of them.

-SMB

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It is very difficult to picture Peach's slave as a brawler, but it might be interesting if he made an appearence. He could take over Pichu's spot as the tiny guy with secret strength. Afterall, Toad was stronger then Mario, Luigi, and Peach in Super Mario Brothers 2.

Toad's Design: Toad would be larger then Pichu, but still lacking in size. I picture him with racing gloves and specially designed shoes that have turbo boosters in the back to incorporate his special in MarioKart. Toad would be a nervous guy and when he was standing still he would be wringing his hands together and anxiously looking back and forth for danger. However, although Toad would be tiny and would have horrendous jumps that cover more horizantal ground then vertical ground (like a hopping toad, get it!) he would have suprising power. Besides DK, Toad would be the only one to be able to hop around while holding a barrel or crate and his running speed would be unhindered by the added weight. His paranoia would get him excellent dodging and evasion skills. This is necessary because Toad would be pretty light and would have horrible range during brawls.

Rapid A: Toad looks over his shoulder away from his oppenent, squeezes his eyes shut and wildly swings his arms.

Toward A: Does a roundhouse as one of his shoes thrusters shoots out smoke and embers making it a nice quick attack.

Up A: Thrusts his head upwards, character bounces off his mushroom hat. Good for juggiling.

Down A: Does a quick sweep kick

Smash Up: Toad spins on his head as his shoe boosters turn on. As he spins around his feet kick wildly in the air leaving streaks of fire. Hits Oppenent in a wide variety of paths depending on when they hit the spinning mushroom.

Smash Down: Toad quickly pulls out a POW block as he faces the screen does a backflip and then smashes the POW block onto the floor, sending a circular shockwave ripple across the floor near Toad. Charging up the Smash leads to a bigger POW block being ripped out of the ground.

Toward Smash: Skids forward a little with his shoes and pushes his enemy as he screams like a girl. Decent knockback and quick. Good at keeping enemies away.

B: Toad lobs a tennis ball upwards and then pulls out his racket. Pressing B again makes Toad swing his racket. If you press it at the right time the racket will hit the falling ball, sending it extemely fast like a missle in a straight path. Ball can have knockback at medium to high percentages on an oppenent. (If any other button is pressed other then B while the ball is in the air, Toad puts his racket away. Used for fake outs)

Toward B: Toads shoe thrusters turn on and sends him screaming forward (like when he uses the gold mushroom in MarioKart) as a trail of smoke follows. Toad pinwheels his arms and goes about as far as Falcon's kick. If he hits someone both Toad and the oppenent will bounce in opposite directions. Faster on ground then the air.

Up B: A magic carpet appears under Toad and he grabs the front edge. His face is a look of shock. He can freely travel in the air for three seconds. He can perform one air dodge while on his carpet.

Down B: Toad plucks a giant die from the ground. A press of A will throw it. The die rolls around, bouncing of walls or any oppenent for minor damage. When it stops it explodes. The size and ferocity of the explosion depends on the number facing the screen. 1 is a low blast and 6 is the largest with the biggest radius. Only one die from Toad can be on the stage at a time.

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
It is very difficult to picture Peach's slave as a brawler, but it might be interesting if he made an appearence. He could take over Pichu's spot as the tiny guy with secret strength. Afterall, Toad was stronger then Mario, Luigi, and Peach in Super Mario Brothers 2.

Toad's Design: Toad would be larger then Pichu, but still lacking in size. I picture him with racing gloves and specially designed shoes that have turbo boosters in the back to incorporate his special in MarioKart. Toad would be a nervous guy and when he was standing still he would be wringing his hands together and anxiously looking back and forth for danger. However, although Toad would be tiny and would have horrendous jumps that cover more horizantal ground then vertical ground (like a hopping toad, get it!) he would have suprising power. Besides DK, Toad would be the only one to be able to hop around while holding a barrel or crate and his running speed would be unhindered by the added weight. His paranoia would get him excellent dodging and evasion skills. This is necessary because Toad would be pretty light and would have horrible range during brawls.

Rapid A: Toad looks over his shoulder away from his oppenent, squeezes his eyes shut and wildly swings his arms.

Toward A: Does a roundhouse as one of his shoes thrusters shoots out smoke and embers making it a nice quick attack.

Up A: Thrusts his head upwards, character bounces off his mushroom hat. Good for juggiling.

Down A: Does a quick sweep kick

Smash Up: Toad spins on his head as his shoe boosters turn on. As he spins around his feet kick wildly in the air leaving streaks of fire. Hits Oppenent in a wide variety of paths depending on when they hit the spinning mushroom.

Smash Down: Toad quickly pulls out a POW block as he faces the screen does a backflip and then smashes the POW block onto the floor, sending a circular shockwave ripple across the floor near Toad. Charging up the Smash leads to a bigger POW block being ripped out of the ground.

Toward Smash: Skids forward a little with his shoes and pushes his enemy as he screams like a girl. Decent knockback and quick. Good at keeping enemies away.

B: Toad lobs a tennis ball upwards and then pulls out his racket. Pressing B again makes Toad swing his racket. If you press it at the right time the racket will hit the falling ball, sending it extemely fast like a missle in a straight path. Ball can have knockback at medium to high percentages on an oppenent. (If any other button is pressed other then B while the ball is in the air, Toad puts his racket away. Used for fake outs)

Toward B: Toads shoe thrusters turn on and sends him screaming forward (like when he uses the gold mushroom in MarioKart) as a trail of smoke follows. Toad pinwheels his arms and goes about as far as Falcon's kick. If he hits someone but Toad and the oppenent will bounce in opposite directions. Faster on ground then the air.

Up B: A magic carpet appears under Toad and he grabs the front edge. His face is a look of shock. He can freely travel in the air for three seconds. He can perform one air dodge while on his carpet.

Down B: Toad plucks a giant die from the ground. A press of A will throw it. The die rolls around, bouncing of walls or any oppenent for minor damage. When it stops it explodes. The size and ferocity of the explosion depends on the number facing the screen. 1 is a low blast and 6 is the largest with the biggest radius. Only one die from Toad can be on the stage at a time.
I like it. It's highly original, and it involves rocket-skates. I'm not sure where the rocket-skates came from, but I think the idea is hilariousely awesome, and you incorporated picking objects out of the ground without making a Peach clone move. I like it.

I'm not sure about the Neutral B attack (Since Peach already has a Tennis-raquet attack) but thats just quibbling.

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Bowserlick, that was pretty good moveset, cept for the "only one die on the screen at once" thing. Not so much.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Thanks. Yea I couldn't think of anything to replace the tennis raquet move. Any ideas? Of course Peach's moveset might be changed based on her new game, but that is pure speculation. i tagged on the one die rule, because spamming explosions seems to powerful and annoying.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Why would Toad be in Brawl when he's a human (well, whatever he is) shield that takes Peach's hits in SSBM?

DokturSea

Smash Lord
Thanks. Yea I couldn't think of anything to replace the tennis raquet move. Any ideas? Of course Peach's moveset might be changed based on her new game, but that is pure speculation. i tagged on the one die rule, because spamming explosions seems to powerful and annoying.
Peach's moveset would not have to be redone. One word, "Toadsworth".

And did you mean ONE Toad can only throw one dice at a time? Cuz that's OK. But not "only one dice on the screen at a time".

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Why would Toad be in Brawl when he's a human (well, whatever he is) shield that takes Peach's hits in SSBM?
yes exactly what I was thinking.
They could use Toadsworth, as Xianfeng said. Just think, they have not been shy to open up and create new moves to replace old ones. We have seen Nintendo already make this happen, and there is no denying that they could make it something completely different. Take it a step further and think about what they could possibly do to eliminate that.

-SMB

DokturSea

Smash Lord
They could use Toadsworth, as Xianfeng said. Just think, they have not been shy to open up and create new moves to replace old ones. We have seen Nintendo already make this happen, and there is no denying that they could make it something completely different. Take it a step further and think about what they could possibly do to eliminate that.

-SMB
Um, you mean as DokturSea said. :)

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
yes exactly what I was thinking.
Because people like you are idiots, I mean Toad is the one character that is left out time and time again in the Mario Franchise. He is mostly there but..he is rarely metion around he is the unknown in the Mario games. He can fit well into Brawl he needs his own spotlight away from Mario and the others. Toad has always been the sidekick and needs to be on his own.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Peach just has to use her stupid parasol, Parry, for the B move :p

And Toad is still a pretty top requested character, so irregardless of what you think, that little shroom ain't goin nowhere but into Brawl :grin:

dotdotdot!

BRoomer
BRoomer
Let me count the ways.

First off, he has been a character ever since Super Mario Bros. 1.

he is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. 2

He has appeared consistantly ever since.

He appeared as the main hero in Wario's Woods. (Toad Vs. Wario anyone?)

He is perennially available to play as in Mario Sports games, recently in Mario Party, and since Mario Kart SNES.

This totally does not count and is an utter side-comment, but he had an important role in the Mario Cartoons.

He has a dedicated fan-base that has bemoaned his exclusion from the limelight ever since his heroic turn in Mario 2.

Toad and Peach were totally the only characters you ever used in Mario 2.

As a shopkeeper/host character, he can take heavily from other less-represented Mario Items that Mario himself skipped over (In favor of his Fireball/cape combo) such as the Hammer suit, Leaf, Frog suit, Tanuki suit, Kuribo shoe, etc. as well as Mario-party related things (Such as the dice move in the moveset one page back).

So, in conclusion:
He's got history
He's been important
He's nostalgic
He's got fans
He's got moves
He's got a rivalry with Wario

Therefore, he should be a character in Brawl. Replace Peach's neutral B with the umbrella, or Toadsworth, or even get rid of it and replace it with an emotion power. Either way i'd be happy.

Toad FTW

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Amen, brotha. That's exactly what I like to hear. =) And I do like the rivalry with Wario...I've played Wario's Woods, and I know the setup (Toad vs. Wario), but it never dawned on me that it would be a good reason to add Toad to Brawl (not like there's a bad one, haha).

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Toad is a generic worthless non-fighting character and it is laughable that you would even think of him being an seperate entity in Brawl. He is one of Peach's attacks in melee and that is where he should stay.

Maverick69

Smash Ace
Toad is a generic worthless non-fighting character

I guess I must have dreamed him throwing that Shyguy if he's a non-fighting character.

And i guess you're right, he is too generic. They'd never give him a playable role in a game.....oh wait... I forgot.....

Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Kart
Mario Kart 64
Mario Tennis (N64)
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Mario Party 5
Mario Party 6
Mario Superstar Baseball
Mario Party 7
Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart Arcade GP
Super Mario Strikers

Maverick69

Smash Ace
Actually there's only one mewtwo if you follow the story >.>

but your point remains valid. There are tons of yoshis, tons of pikachus, jigglypuff, pichus.

I'd rather see a new character such as toad than have more clones.

zombie7775

Smash Lord
Yes but Pikachu is one of the most popular characters and a main character in the series. He also has a title game. Yoshi has a title game also. Toad doesnt.

The Basement Dweller

Smash Master
Technically there is only one Mewtwo and although he was playable in Super Mario 2 and fought in it the other games are just spinoffs to the Mario series also he truely doesn't fight he panics in just about all the other games and that is the only game you listed that he actually does something in. In the othergames you listed he is just there to give a bigger character selection. He also is one of Peach's attacks and should remain that way. The bottom line is that Toad is worthless. and the Fire Emblem people have their own identity they don't look like one another.

Top Bottom