• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too much Aerials?

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
I main Luigi. I often practise on CPUs and I did that today. I noticed that I begun to use more n more aerials...i don't say its a bad thing(like I would know) but most of the time CPUs just attack faster than myy aerial or worse, I turn to other side to get Luigi's leg attack in midair and they attack me before I do them...help please...should I stop using aerials so much? Any tips? plz help.

Beo

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't matter if you're using nothing but Aerials. Needs more Aerials.

NEEDS MORE AERIALS.

Just learn to time and space better.

Needs more Aerials.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Try fast falling after you reach the peak of your jump, you wont be punished as easily that way (but you are by all means still punishable, just not for as long of a period)

Don't fight 9's. I'm not sure if you are or not, but don't. i've been told to fight 1's or 3's. 9's make you predictable, i know this from experience. But it's best by far to play other people.

Those may help.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Sure, why not. If you are looking to improve your ground game, i've got one word for you: tornado. It's by far his safest approach. You can also SHDF (short hop double fireball, if timed right it is similar to toon link's short hop double arrow in speed) to force a projectile-less opponent to approach, and then use the tornado, or whatever you wish.

PrinceMarthX

Smash Journeyman
Tornado is hardly safe. It has a fair amount of ending lag. Enough to endure a forward smash if they avoid it.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Don't bother praticing CPUs unless its level 1 and your pratciing spacing. Their AI was made to almost powershield majority of what you throw at them lol. Luigi is a aerial offensive/defensive type character. So of course you'll be using aerials. Just note that Luigi can fit any aerial in one shorthop. A classic and most favorite one is Dair > Nair = best combo starter and ko-er.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Tornado is hardly safe. It has a fair amount of ending lag. Enough to endure a forward smash if they avoid it.
Do you know of any safer grounded approaches? I should have been more clear, but i meant safest ground approach, but I can see where it could be confusing.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
Well on the ground, you should be shooting fireballs. A short hop can fit two fireballs, while you DI forward or backward towards/away from the enemy. When you see your chance to hit, you quickly short hop into an aerial, and as said by Faith, fast fall afterwards to minimize risk. If you space your attacks properly, they are actually quite safe to use (especially bair). Know your enemy though, its a lot harder to hit Marth and characters with long (and like Marth, disjointed) hitboxes. In those kind of situations, you short hop and DI your first aerial away from your enemy while they attack, then quickly come back with a second aerial off the short hop, or land and do another short hopped attack if you have the time (usually you don't).

A shorthopped fireball into a tornado is a good move early on if the fireball connects. It gives you just enough time to quickly swoop in and hit your enemy with the tornado. From there, you can either "chase" the enemy and rack up hits, or "sweep" through the enemy and space yourself away from their attacks so you won't get punished for your ending lag. Tornado is useful, as long as you use it wisely, otherwise you will get punished.

Another move you can use to a lesser extent is the Dash attack. While most people disagree about using it, as its easily punished, there are some situations where its useful. With proper timing, you can do a "pseudo" lock on your enemy with the Dash Attack. Imagine Final Destination: your enemy is landing from a missed aerial and is about an inch and a half away from the edge. You initiate the Dash attack before your opponent actually hits the ground. Chances are, if your enemy doesn't expect it, he/she will not have the time to DI (I don't think you can Smash DI out of it at all), and will be hit off stage by the knockback of the last punch. In a perfect world, you can't proceed to edgeguarding them, but the situation doesn't always play out that way. If you use the move too much, people will get wise to you, and punish you.

yungunr2

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8390-1766
Try fast falling after you reach the peak of your jump, you wont
Don't fight 9's. I'm not sure if you are or not, but don't. i've been told to fight 1's or 3's. 9's make you predictable, i know this from experience. But it's best by far to play other people.

Those may help.
Who told you that? and does it really?:confused:

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Who told you that? and does it really?:confused:
yes it does. I've been told by many, but i also went to my first tournament having most of my training against 9's. I 3 stocked them all the time, but it didn't matter, i was predictable because of it. I got destroyed at that tournament. ... Even fighting someone horrible is infinitely better practice.

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
umm yea thanx for the replied it means a lot for me!

Well I dont play a lot to actual humans except my bro and my friendz but they r worse than 1 level CPU, also they are spammers, I also cant go to tournaments because I live in a country that u probly didnt heard of so all I have is WIFI turneys which im not sure to go for now mayby in the future and fighting CPUs...

On topic: any tips on avoiding CPUs to shield grab me after I do Luigis Bair, I hate that?

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
yes it does. I've been told by many, but i also went to my first tournament having most of my training against 9's. I 3 stocked them all the time, but it didn't matter, i was predictable because of it. I got destroyed at that tournament. ... Even fighting someone horrible is infinitely better practice.
I second that notion, I fight level 3's to practice combos and spacing on, but thats pretty much it. Plus level 9's annoy me, they powershield EVERYTHING @_@.

Luigi player

Smash Master
For me, the only really good ground attacks are his jab, upB and dsmash... well and uptilt and upsmash.

Aerials are too good though. I love using only his nair and nobody can hit me the whole time lol. And I don't even have to time it properly, so I just use nair nair nair and my enemy jumps in it... it obviously doesn't work on good enemies though ^^

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend fighting against CPUs too much... maybe try online, it's better than CPUs imo, MUCH better. And 100 % more fun. I nearly never play Brawl offline because we don't have many smash fests here, and online is so much better than CPUs... they are so boring and it just isn't fun to fight against perfect nobodys.. >_> (that mostly suck anyway).

Wait, shield grab means that you get grabbed by ur opponent after he shielded ur attack right?

Well if YOU shieldgrab, then you hold your shield up and press A to grab someone... if your enemy does it then yeah he just shields and grabs.

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
wow thx I felt lke total jerk because it seemed logicly that shield grab is actualy a grab from a shield..I hate when that happens on my Bair.

IDK

Smash Lord
lol luigi's aerials can all be short hop doubled and the bair has a pretty good amount of priority and ability to WoP. you can full hop quadruple fair. i mean... you can't ignore that.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
lol luigi's aerials can all be short hop doubled and the bair has a pretty good amount of priority and ability to WoP. you can full hop quadruple fair. i mean... you can't ignore that.
WoP with bairs doesn't really work, the bair can't auto cancel, so at most you get two hits before the opponent backs off. If you could lag cancel, it would be more useful. I think Luigi in Brawl has FoP's at the most, fair is the most likely candidate IMO. Bair is the laggiest aerial when you land (laggy enough to give the opponent enough time to DI away).

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
WoP with bairs doesn't really work, the bair can't auto cancel, so at most you get two hits before the opponent backs off. If you could lag cancel, it would be more useful. I think Luigi in Brawl has FoP's at the most, fair is the most likely candidate IMO. Bair is the laggiest aerial when you land (laggy enough to give the opponent enough time to DI away).
Could you buffer a jump from the second bair?

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I recommend you to read the stickied threads.... Also, read the guide... Thirdly, don't practice against CPU's practice against human players. You might live in Croatia but there's bound to be more people who play the game, just search on the regional area of the forum you might find some people in Croatia...

Lastly, learn how to space and zone please... if you don't know the terminology go to my guide it explains it quite well there, as well as WoP etc...

Again, welcome to the forums... (One month, your still new :D)

Pompi

Smash Journeyman
use the jab is a fairly quick attack that would save you from powershields , and you could jab>jab>shoryuken combo or jab>jab>(jab cancel)dtilt , if it trips shoryuken :) that scares the hell out of people.

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
Ok ima goin 2 read the guide and all the terminology now, thanx.

AND NO, im sure, 100% that 98% of the people dont know about Brawl...and turney...umm no way.

Thanx for helping people!

CR4SH

Smash Lord
The problem with fighting 9s is that you actually have to FIGHT them. Computers and humans do not fight similarly, and rely on different things to win. When you're fighting a computer, and its a challenge, you have to rely on exploiting computer weaknesses to win. Computers have better reflexes than you, period. The problem with this is that you get used to doing things that work against computers, and thats a bad thing.

Remember, that your subconscious is much more powerful than your conscious. What I mean is, if you have to think about what you're doing, you'll lose. If your subconscious is programmed to fight computers, you'll get trashed by decent humans.

People fight computers to have a moving, acting target. The reason you fight lvl 1-3s is because they're dumb enough that you don't actually have to focus on fighting them to win. You can spend your time messing around with your character's moves and movement, which is what you need to practice. Imagine it as a punching bag.

Just remember, when you're fighting a computer, to keep in mind that you're fighting a computer. Don't let yourself get involved in winning the fight. Solo play is for experimentation and building muscle memory.

MasterToshima

Smash Journeyman
OMG this is just what I needed thx crash...thats probly the problem...I mean computers that r 9 NEVER EVER stop and sometimes I got so much carried away that I just fight dont thinking about spacing and they advantages(like fox's speed idk) and got beated by their reflexes or worse their character advantages...thx again m8!

Top Bottom