• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too Old?

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Ok ladies and gents, in 5 months I will be upon my 25th year of life. It came to my attention that I may be getting too old to play this game competitively and maybe I just need to put competitive gaming behind me and move on to casual gaming retirement.

What do you guys think? How old is too old to be on the scene? Or in haters terms, is it time to grow up?

Discuss.

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
If YOU think youre too old to play this game, then just stop playing it. But if you still enjoy playing it, regardless of age, then play the game. Age has nothing to do with enjoying something.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
You're never to old to do what you love, if you want to play competitively, play competitively,

also, I've seen older in tournaments, is 45 too old?
nope

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I turn 25 soon. You shouldn't base your decision on some mystical integer. Just decide whether it is worth your while to compete.

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
You're not too old.
If Wii sports is for people from 5 to 85 (even though it's a 7+ game), and Smash Bros. is for a slightly older audience, then you should be able to play it until you are around 90.
My theory may be flawed, but I like it.

klapaucius

Smash Apprentice
C.S. Lewis once wrote that the idea that "maturity" somehow means giving up that which you enjoy is, itself, immature.

So stop being childish and go play video games.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
If you quit, that's one less Samus main... :(

Anyways, as long as there's smash games, I'll keep playing them. Hell, I'm teaching my kids how to play Melee!

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I say, you're never too old for video games, not as long as you have the spirit and are willing to still play them, otherwise you shouldn't force yourself to give up what you love.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
C.S. Lewis once wrote that the idea that "maturity" somehow means giving up that which you enjoy is, itself, immature.
I'm gonna save that quote, I love it.

But yeah, if anyone tells you otherwise to stop because you're too old (as long as your priorities are in check) for this, give them the good o' fashioned "scout salute" ;)

zrky

Smash Lol'd
If you quit, that's one less Samus main... :(

Anyways, as long as there's smash games, I'll keep playing them. Hell, I'm teaching my kids how to play Melee!
you have kids? 0_o

but ill probably end up teaching my kids (later in life since im still in school right now) how to play video games and strategies and crap, that be funny if I beat them and im like 30 somethin.... but really your never to old to play video games, if you like them play them if you don't don't simple as that.

Rohins

Smash Lord
NNID
Rohins
Ok ladies and gents, in 5 months I will be upon my 25th year of life. It came to my attention that I may be getting too old to play this game competitively and maybe I just need to put competitive gaming behind me and move on to casual gaming retirement.

What do you guys think? How old is too old to be on the scene? Or in haters terms, is it time to grow up?

Discuss.
Time to grow up shouldn't be in reference to your hobbies but with your lifetime goals. If you feel smash is getting in the way of your career or whatever it is you want to accomplish then tone it down. If not, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a game.

Edit: I turn 26 in Feb

On a side note: in Korea most pro gamers are well retired before age 24. Mostly due to reflexes becoming poorer more than anything else.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I play Street Fighter Third Strike, and in the SF/Fighting Game community the average age is in the late 20s from what I've seen. I'm 21 and I am relatively young compared to other SF players, but toward the older end in the Smash community.

Tamoo

Smash Master
I recently went to a smash tournament in a complex where there were lots of other fighting games aswell. Im 17 and i was quite clearly one of the younger members there. Seemed like the average age was well over 20, and 30 year olds werent rare either. Just play till u get bored

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
you have kids? 0_o

but ill probably end up teaching my kids (later in life since im still in school right now) how to play video games and strategies and crap, that be funny if I beat them and im like 30 somethin.... but really your never to old to play video games, if you like them play them if you don't don't simple as that.
You'll probably lie to your children and make up strategies so that you can beat them :laugh:.
I might try that with people who don't know how to play;):bee:.

kin3tic-c4jun-3

Smash Ace
Retire if it's interfering with your life. Nothing is more important than family. Once you've decided your priorities, then you're fine. As long as you always remember that gaming is not the number one important thing it's all good.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
For what it's worth, I plan on gaming with my daughter when she comes of age. :-/

BrawlBro

Smash Ace

Discuss.
Dude never sell out!:laugh:

For real though do what you want don't worry about cultural norms.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
You're never too old for smash.. seriously, this game has such huge appeal, it's hard to find people who don't enjoy it. Regardless of age

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
This is actually an interesting topic. It's difficult to say what role gaming will have in our adult lives and on, simply because we are the first generation to grow up with them being so prominent in our lives. It's very rare nowadays to find young children who do not enjoy/play games (granted they have the means to attain them of course). It seems as if gaming is growing and I really would not be surprised if it was a big part of our entire lives and maybe eventually even a part of society.

Don't stop gaming man. Just because the older generations are for the most part not gaming, does not mean that will be the case for ours. A lot of this generation expects us to "grow past" the video gaming "phase". I, however, am not convinced this will happen.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I'll play Smash till I freaking die.
This

Playing games in general is not worth quiting, even if your too busy, you have some time to enjoy yourself, if you enjoy playing games that is, (wow that was crazy what I said). But over and all, I'm just about two year until I reach the age of 25, but I don't plan on quitting. I'll say quit when your arms no longer work, which I hope that won't happen.

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
People don't stop playing because they grow old. People grow old because they stop playing.

^I'm sure I got the above from a source that isn't me. I just can't remember where.^

Top Bottom