• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tools to build a psuedo model importer

...:::VILE:::...

Smash Ace
Truth is we have enough info to build a model importer, but no one has finished one as it is too grand of a task. I had a thought, if we make multiple small tools that make the process semi automated we could make something like ASH and get it closer to making it fully automated.

If there is anyone who can code and wants to help, post here and i (and most likely other members) will provide with info on what needs to be created.

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Well, I can't code very well, but I've been trying for a while to make a converter that will take a .txt file full of IEEE-754 Floating Point numbers and convert them to hexadecimal so I can attempt to rebuild specific parts of MDL0 files (such as certain parts of the polygons and vertices) from using parts of .dae files exported from BrawlBox 0.64 or AiS. It hasn't really worked so far though, sadly, the most I can get is the first line of the file converted to binary, and then the rest error.

Smash Ace
I already have one, elrefugio made me one a while back, if you need it i can upload it. What i need is a batch decimal > hexdecimal converter (randomtbush has one i think).

pokelover980

Smash Ace
Ah, it would be nice if you could upload it, please.

Also, a decimal to hexadecimal converter doesn't sound too hard, I could try it. I just got done learning a lot of things that would be useful for such a thing in C, I just need to learn file I/O and I could try (I was trying in VB before, but I realized it was useless for file I/O because it doesn't read line breaks the way I want it too).

Pharrox

Smash Journeyman
I'm curious to hear your plan as to how many components will be needed for this and how they would work together. This isn't like textures where it was a multi-step process where the steps could be simplified. The MDL0 is one big file, and all parts relate directly to other parts in a way I would find very difficult to break down.

The other big thing I think must be addressed is the issue of what to use as an interchange format. If you are going for something that can support everything (or even close) in the MDL0 spec, Collada, Fbx, and Obj are all out. You will need something with a lot more options. DirectX is the closest you can come, but any of the major model formats should be able to handle the job (I'll probably be targeting .ma for my future Wii hacking projects).

Smash Ace
I see what you mean, but even if something like ASH doesn't come out of this thread, there will still be a tonne of info and little tools which can lead to more manual processes of importing models or even a base for someone to come along and write a fully automated importer.

EDIT: I'm also having problems with the hex converter, i run it and nothing happens, I'm not 100% sure what I'm mean to type into the in.txt (i assumed i was to put something along the lines of <p> 1 2 3 </p>).

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
EDIT: I'm also having problems with the hex converter, i run it and nothing happens, I'm not 100% sure what I'm mean to type into the in.txt (i assumed i was to put something along the lines of <p> 1 2 3 </p>).
Every number needs to be on a different line. What I do, is I replace the <p> tags with 38912 (9800 in hex), and then remove the </p> tags. Then, I open it up with a hex editor and replace every "20" byte with "0D0A", which changes every space to a line break. Then I put it through that hex converter, and then I open up the out.txt and start counting all of the lines in between each set of "9800". And then, I add 1/3 of that number to the end of the 9800, in hex, and then continue on to the next set until I'm done.

RandomTBush

Smash Ace
The hex converter won't even open.
But it sounds nice (is this what you used in order to get the Sandvich converted?).
There's no actual "application" to it. It's a Java program that runs in the background, and shuts down after it's done converting the values in the in.txt into hex.

And yes, that's what helped with the creation of the Sandvich... and both of my Jigglypuff hats, too.

ds22

Smash Lord
I have no idea on how to do that...
Because there is the model data in the in.txt (I wanted to try to get the Keyblade from KH2 converted), so that's not the problem.

BobHop

Smash Rookie
As a sidenote, have you guys ever heard of "010 Editor" ? It's a hex editor with really interesting features, which basically allows you to automate any kind of manipulation you'd like to do to a file. Like search for a certain type of data / value, delete it / replace it, select from range x to y, copy / paste selected data to a new offset / new file, etc, etc... You can define a whole new file format with a rather simple script, then run this script on any file ; the tool will then highlight every known (or unknown) data chunk with a different color, making it easy for you to spot what you need in the file.

Basically it's very convenient for people (like me) who want to make a format converter but don't know enough to code it in C/C++ (ooooorrr maybe, I know enough to code it in C/C++ but I'm so lazy I've always found this tool more convenient :p ). For instance I've already managed to search a big file (from Divinity II : Ego Draconis X360) for OGG data chunks, discard game-specific data, add a proper header and save each chunk as a separate file.

Maybe this software could help you ? :)

Top Bottom