• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
I- Allow him to have more horizontal movement when he uses his Up-B.
I was always under the impression that TL's recovery was really good because of how floaty he was combined with how high his upB rose. You could always just let yourself fall while travelling back to the stage, then upB when under the ledge, and you'd nearly always make it back. If they buff the horizontal distance of this move, then the vertical distance should be nerfed, IMO.

- Make his tether grab have the grabbing duration last longer so it's not easily side-stepped.
I think this change was actually done in Brawl Minus. I'd love for TL to have that in the new smash. :)

Or better yet, give him the Link 64/Project M F-smash(the jump attack).
Or give him his Brawl- fsmash (basically just the strong second hit of his vBrawl fsmash). :seuss:

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
So, what do you guys think about the possibility of Toon Link not being in SSB4. If you think about it, he removed Young Link, Dr. Mario, Pichu, etc... Toon Link is kind of like those characters, in a sense.

He better return to SSB4. D:< Or all that training would be for nothing!

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So, what do you guys think about the possibility of Toon Link not being in SSB4. If you think about it, he removed Young Link, Dr. Mario, Pichu, etc... Toon Link is kind of like those characters, in a sense.
How so? Aside from being a clone, I don't see how he's any more like those characters than any of the other Brawl newcomers.

And I don't think he'll be removed. At least I hope not.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Don't worry, Sakurai feels it important to have a young link in smash. I mean, the roster for melee for LoZ was almost Link, Zelda/Sheik and Young Link without Ganondorf! Ganondorf cut first, then a young link. I'm not saying he won't be replaced (like from melee to brawl) with MM Link or something.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
How so? Aside from being a clone, I don't see how he's any more like those characters than any of the other Brawl newcomers.

And I don't think he'll be removed. At least I hope not.
You'd have to know what I am thinking to understand why I believe he would be removed. Aside from being a clone, though, I don't know. I just hope Sakurai doesn't remove him. c:

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
Considering the fact he continuously pops up in Zelda games I don't see any reason to remove him. He represents a separate but equal side/style of the Zelda franchise.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I really do hope he won't be removed, Though I do love SS Link as much as Toon and SNES Link. He was just one of my all time favourite Link's of the Zelda series, I adored Wind Waker. I love how he still shows up even today. (He's sort of appearing in that Scribblenauts Unlimited Wii U game)

Plus I love his play style. He's the only Link who's moveset I can actually bare.

Oh well, gotta accept the possibility of him getting kicked out like Mewtwo was so I'm not going to get my hopes up of him returning. =/

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
I'd like him scrapped. Simply because his character design is stupid.

Tube Body + Football Head = Toon Link?

>_<

As a playable character however, I hear he's pretty good.

Edit - New Idea

Basically, if Toon Link were given a Young Link costume of some sort, I'd jump on that **** in seconds. But if he looks the same way he does now, I want him gone. He just looks too stupid.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd like him scrapped. Simply because his character design is stupid.

Tube Body + Football Head = Toon Link?

>_<

As a playable character however, I hear he's pretty good.
Toon Link is based on a particular art style that's used in a few Legend of Zelda games. The games use a cel-shaded or "cartoony" style, hence "Toon" Link.

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
Toon Link is based on a particular art style that's used in a few Legend of Zelda games. The games use a cel-shaded or "cartoony" style, hence "Toon" Link.
As you can tell, I'm not quite a fan of that art style. Just not my thing. I just personally hate the way Toon Link looks, and if they gave him a different costume (YLink) but he had the same moveset, and love it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
As you can tell, I'm not quite a fan of that art style. Just not my thing. I just personally hate the way Toon Link looks, and if they gave him a different costume (YLink) but he had the same moveset, and love it.
Replacing TLink with YLink is a terrible idea. The "toon" art style still appears in the more recent Zelda games (especially on handhelds). Non-toon Young Link hasn't appeared in a non-remake Zelda since Majora's Mask. Just because you personally don't like his art style doesn't mean he should be removed.

Bl00dyBizkitz

Smash Cadet
Replacing TLink with YLink is a terrible idea. The "toon" art style still appears in the more recent Zelda games (especially on handhelds). Non-toon Young Link hasn't appeared in a non-remake Zelda since Majora's Mask. Just because you personally don't like his art style doesn't mean he should be removed.
It sounds just as legitimate as "I want him back cause he's my main" or "I had high expectations for him, but he turned out even better than I thought" for reasons why he should come back.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It sounds just as legitimate as "I want him back cause he's my main" or "I had high expectations for him, but he turned out even better than I thought" for reasons why he should come back.
Still doesn't change the fact that it's a stupid reason.

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I'd like Toon Link to actually look like he does in Wind Waker, rather than the deformed Mii we got in Brawl. I know that would be an art style dissonance, but I'm sure there's a better design to be had.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'd like Toon Link to actually look like he does in Wind Waker, rather than the deformed Mii we got in Brawl. I know that would be an art style dissonance, but I'm sure there's a better design to be had.
You mean like having him actually use the same color/shading he had in WW? That's not a bad idea. Actually, I'd like SSB4 to be a lot more colorful and less dull looking than Brawl. Who's up for cel-shaded SSB?

Zuby

Smash Journeyman
I'm a big proponent of having Toon Link cel shaded, if nothing else. Go to trophy mode and put the Outset Link next to one of the Brawl trophies, and it doesn't look too bad. After all, Mr. Game & Watch looks different but it works. Game & Watch Kirby is practically cel shaded already anyway.

As others have said, I'd also like the engineer uniform as an alternate costume. And Ezlo. Maybe even one in Linebeck's costume.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Sakurai's said that he definitely doesn't want this next Smash to be competitive.
What a jerk! Hes completely going against the whole entire smash community! All its biggest fans! I sure hope Namco can change his mind about this or gets a good share of the development process ESPECIALLY the balance part. Then again Sakurai intended for Brawl not to be competive either, and just look at it today! The gamers will always find a way.
Anyways Toon Link totally deserves come back, hes not just another shorter, faster Link. His moveset grants him enough unique-ness in his own right.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Johnknight1 i'm with ya. i'd love it if he is still in brawl. honestly i think these changes would be welcome.
making his dair less punishable (at least over the stage, giving the ability to shield or roll to cancel the landing lag.)
i thought up a scheme for his final smash where he preforms the song of storms. and, just like in the pirate stage, a large tornado appears and lessens the gravity. meanwhile tossing opponents askew while it whirls in place. the rain would be for effect. the music would temp. change to the song of storms. and TL is at home in the air so Bair for the win :)
honestly i'm a bit sketchy on replacing his current projectile game. but perhaps giving him the ability to switch fairies like in phantom hourglass?

Edit: although this doesn't count for toon or young link. i really have always hoped for a link resembling the link from link to the past. i mean come on. golden sword, magic medallions, hook shot, fire/ice rod pegasus boots, mirror shield!

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to preface this by saying I don't hate TL.

In my eyes Toon Link is the #1 character that should be cut for SSB4.
With the knowledge that new characters will be scarce from here on out, I think it's necessary that we make cuts if we can. There are so many characters that will never make it into a Smash Bros game, and I really don't think it's fair for Toon Link to take up that spot. You can give the way he moves, and
even his moveset, to another character. That's fine. But having two Links in the game is just a waste of space. (Don't worry, I feel the same way about other characters as well, like Dr. Mario, and Pichu). I think Skyward Sword Link's aesthetics are a happy medium, so that solves part of the problem right there. I'm not particularly favourable to either art style, but hey. We just need to make Link play better and less clunky. I think that would be the fairest, and most conservative option.

On another note, the source that was linked about Sakurai wanting to make SSB4 a non-competitive game is not sufficient proof for me. The article linked was from a column he wrote in 2003, prior to even Brawl. He did make Brawl purposely non-competitive, and perhaps he feels that way about SSB as a whole, but there's still no indication that that's his direction for SSB4. In fact, there is some reason to believe that a more competitive SSB4 is relatively likely.

Competition was definitely considered in Kid Icarus: Uprising. The Multiplayer aspect was definitely well thought into. I can't find the link, but I remember Sakurai mentioning not wanting to restrict players by telling them how to play the game(be it casually or competitively). Many people interpreted this as a change of heart.

The fact that Bandai-Namco is a big part of the dev team could also suggest this. There needs to be a reason they chose a team with fighting game experience this time. Sakurai said he is opening up character balance to more members of the team this time around. This is significant and will likely lead to better balance for the characters.

Now, I'm not saying that SSB4 will be designed with the competitive audience in mind. Perhaps he'll go with his Brawl approach and actively dissuade players from playing competitively through the inclusion of things such as tripping.

However, I am saying that the limited information we have seems suggest that competitiveness is a possibility this time around. It seems to point more in that direction than saying he will actively make the game uber-casual again.

Perhaps he'll consider that to truly reach the widest audience possible with Smash Bros., it needs to be both casually friendly and have a deeper, balanced, competitive side to it as well.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I didn't read the whole thing, just the first couple of sentences, but I can see where this is going. I'm also going to say that I'm not exactly against a cut, not anymore (I was but then...) now that we know that Sakurai is adding new characters but possibly only at the expense of cutting old ones out. Of course, we can hope that he changes his mind and decides to add newcomers without taking away veterans, like he did for Melee, but looking at Brawl (we lost Mewtwo, Roy, Pichu, Doc, and technically YL), I'm realizing that the chance of a cut is pretty large. If any chars should be cut, then they should be 'clone-ish' ones, like Lucas, TL, Falco, Luigi, Wolf, and maybe even Ike. Makes me sad, though... :(

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
well there is no way Luigi would get cut, but yes most of the character you mention are the most likely to get cut. and to remove these characters for characters who are vastly unique is great, it would make me sad to lose TL or Ike because i liked them, but I wouldn't be that surprised if they didn't make it to the next game

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
I would be sad to lose a lot of those characters as well. But most of them aren't necessary to lose. Falco and Wolf can easily be de-cloned(and to an extent already have been). They're very unique and interesting characters personality-wise. Ike as well. Except his potential to be cut stems from other reasons(namely the possible inclusion of Roy, and other newer FE lords).

But yeah, Falco and Wolf are great, and it's Sakurai's fault for making them so similar to Fox. He can fix that without getting rid of them entirely.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
true, but they could also do the same for toon link. although the whole syward sword link doesn't sound bad. sort of finding a happy middle ground in between link and TL's stats?
but anyways, any character can easily be decloned, i mean for christ sakes TL has plenty of gadgets that made him unique, i just hope if thats the case he still keeps some what of a zoning game if not camping.

ssbHex

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, they could declone him, but my biggest issue is that he's still a Link, really.
They could make him really unique, but there are other characters I feel deserve a shot is all I'm saying.
I don't want Paper Mario/Luigi, Toon Zelda/Sheik, etc for the same reason.

But yeah, I think with Skyward Sword Link that would be great way to do it. He seems much more versatile than Twilight Princess Link anyway. (With the running, and the wall climbing and everything).

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I see no good reason why TL should be cut. Really, if any character should be cut, imo it should be PT. I don't really see TL being in Smash as keeping some other character from getting in - the only characters he'd be keeping out would be other Zelda characters, and lets face it, there aren't a whole lot of Zelda characters outside the "big 3" who are universally seen as deserving to get into Smash.

All that needs to be done to him is to tweak his moves a little to further differentiate himself from Link.
[COLLAPSE="General Suggestions for TL"]-Allow him to switch between normal anf fire(and maybe ice) arrows.
-Bring back YLinks multi-hit bombs.
-Grounded ^B should be mobile.
-fSmash should be Link64's FSmash[/COLLAPSE]

vGxVisions

Smash Cadet
Wasn't he a last minute addition anyway? He didn't have any relevance in the Subspace Emissary along with Wolf and Jigglypuff. he might work as an alternate costume for Link and so could Young Link.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I would be sad to lose a lot of those characters as well. But most of them aren't necessary to lose. Falco and Wolf can easily be de-cloned(and to an extent already have been). They're very unique and interesting characters personality-wise. Ike as well. Except his potential to be cut stems from other reasons(namely the possible inclusion of Roy, and other newer FE lords).

But yeah, Falco and Wolf are great, and it's Sakurai's fault for making them so similar to Fox. He can fix that without getting rid of them entirely.
Well, they could de-clone anyone. Heck, I should have mentioned Ganon as well, 'cause he's taking up two kinds of slots. He's a Triforce char but he's also a Falcon clone. If he was actually going to de-clone someone, it would probably be Ganon. All the other clones are not only clones, they're taking up a lot of character space for the same franchise. Like, there are three Starfox chars when other series will probably only be able to fit one. Also, I think it would be a bad idea for Sakurai to include Roy in SSB4. Smash has already experienced him; we need another FE lord (if we're actually getting another).

I see no good reason why TL should be cut. Really, if any character should be cut, imo it should be PT.
I'm really curious as to why you think PT should be cut. IMO, the only chars that have managed to avoid being clones of each other while still being part of a franchise with several chars in the game are Mario chars and Pokemon. They got rid of Doc and they tried to de-clone Luigi over the years (although I'd still argue that he's a clone), but then there's also Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, and technically even DK and Diddy, if you wanna stretch the Mario universe. On the Pokemon side, they got rid of Pichu, but then there's all the other pokes who are definitely not clones of each other.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Wasn't he a last minute addition anyway? He didn't have any relevance in the Subspace Emissary along with Wolf and Jigglypuff. he might work as an alternate costume for Link and so could Young Link.
No he couldn't. For something to be able to work as an alternate costume, there can't be any changes beyond purely asthetic changes. To have him be an alternate costume, they'd have to change the shape and size of Link's model, as well as the animations for a lot of his attacks. You'd also have to change all of his hitboxes, unless you want a bad case of hitbox dissonance. Same goes for Young Link.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
*Off topic but, why am I a smash rookie and how does that change?*
That's your rank. It changes once you get a cetrain number of posts. The only other way it changes is if you get pranked or if you become a premium member.

Also, I'm against the idea of characters having different characters as alternate costumes. IMHO, costumes should just be clothing swaps. Like TL getting his Outset clothes or his train conductor outfit.

I'm really curious as to why you think PT should be cut. IMO, the only chars that have managed to avoid being clones of each other while still being part of a franchise with several chars in the game are Mario chars and Pokemon. They got rid of Doc and they tried to de-clone Luigi over the years (although I'd still argue that he's a clone), but then there's also Bowser, Peach, Yoshi, Wario, and technically even DK and Diddy, if you wanna stretch the Mario universe. On the Pokemon side, they got rid of Pichu, but then there's all the other pokes who are definitely not clones of each other.
Maybe that wasn't the best way to phrase it. I don't think he should be cut, just that if I had to pick one character to cut, It'd be him. It mainly has to do with the fact that he's a 3-in-1 character, so cutting him(in my mind, anyway) frees up 3 slots. But like I said, cuts should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
How long does it last? I know I've seen the word "Pranked!" in the Location portion of other peoples' profiles, but are there any other effects? :ohwell:
I think it lasts indefinatley. As far as I know, having the color of you name text changed to pink and having your rank changed to pranked! is the only change.

We should really find something TL related to talk about.

Top Bottom