• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Guide - Updated 4/27

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Nice job. I disagree on one point, though, and that is the Boomerang being the worst projectile. It is absolutely critical to controlling space, and controlling space is always essential for ruining an opponent's approach or doing simple mindgames. While it obviously suffers from Stale Moves Decay, I try to keep my boomerang on the move at all times (except against characters who can reflect it with negligible effort). Used wisely, the boomerang will keep your opponents exactly where you want them, making it a pain in the *** for them to approach from wherever you've chosen to direct it. Arrows are great for this as well, but not nearly as versatile (although much faster when Short-Hop Canceled). Huge distraction.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
This is a great thread. Obviously this post means I'm suscribing, and if I find out any way to help, I'll be here.

I agree with Paranoid Android about the Boomerang. It is a good asset to your arsenal for spacing, pressuring(not always)and set ups. I personally like to throw my Boomerang out(direction pending), pull out a bomb/SHDA and continue with some B-Airs while Boomerang can assist me. This doesn't always work(nothing ever does), but it's something I like to do.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Bombs and Boomerangs are pretty close to eachother in usefulness, I suppose. Boomerang just moves a lot slower in this game. In Melee, I had different thoughts about the boomerang in general. Still, I use the boomerang quite frequently and did not mean to give the wrong impression. Though IMO it's his worst projectile, it's by no means useless.

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
worst guide ever
Your wrong, I gave a friend of mine a guide to TL... It consisted of entirely advice to use Smashes, Boomerang and his throws. I gave him this guide because I didn't want him playing TL :p
Love the guide man. I'd also like the offscreen guide being as I want more effective recovery then just throwing a bomb and UB from under the stage.
Also I disagree with the Boomerang being useless. It is my main tool against dodging and shielding. I throw the boomerang early, causing them to dodge or hop out of the way, then I use bombs or arrows to offtime their dodges with the return of the boomerang, causing the boomerang to hit them, then the arrow after to hit them. I also love using it on angled platforms having it bounce off and going up giving a nice touch of protection.

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
Yea.... Thats a cruel talent I have, getting the Dair spike on computers... I instructed set friend that this is the best way to get KOs...
My guide was successful btw.
I can't wait for an update to this guide.

darkfox32

Smash Rookie
This guide is awesome!!! I didn't know you could b-up in the air twice with a single bomb!

bobjamesbob

Smash Rookie
Personally, I find the boomerang very useful in a stalemate
you and someone else are just standing, if you use bow or bomb, it's be shielded
but you just jump up and aim boomerang down
it surprises them (maybe) but at least ends the stalemate

oh, and btw, great guide
I also bookmarked

VVayfarer

Smash Journeyman
-Aether, you should really add the D-Smash "one-hit KO" thing (I know it's not really a 1-hit KO but w/e) in your guide, as it has a lot of KO potential on low percentages.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
As far as I know, the only property D-smash has that is "one-hit KO" esque is, when you have never used it (implying no stale moves) on a low percent enemy, sometimes it's knockback can be dispreportional. But, in Brawl, everyone has uber recoveries. I've seen the video, but if anyone wants to fully explain it to me, feel free to.

Finch

Smash Lord
The first hit of the dsmash has set knockback. That's it. It's like that just so it will always combo into the second hit, but if it doesn't it makes them fly far, although it will send someone the same distance whether they have 0% of 999%

Saigo

Smash Rookie
Great guide man, I was going to do something like this myself, but apparently I was beaten to the punch lol.

Though if you need help with this guide at all, I'll be willing to help as much as I can.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Here is a little combo for the Bombs/Arrows Tricks section.

Full Jump>Bomb Pull>Bomb Throw>Arrow

Yeah the arrow cancels just in time. Works well when enemies are at a distance. Try it. =]

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
You can post the guide where ever you see fit. As far as I am concerned, information wants to be free. Let it be so.

TriforceCore

Smash Apprentice
I just want to say that this guide has helped me out alot and I find myself making refrences to it(as youve seen lol) and its definatly bookedmarked

molander16

Smash Rookie
Very nice guide! Extremely useful. I actually took some notes.

However, I'm new to Smash forums, so what I didn't gather from talking with my friends (DI, SHL, etc), I guess I simply must ask about, even though it reveals my n00bness.

What does RAR mean?

TriforceCore

Smash Apprentice
Reverse Arial Rush its when you run towards an opponent and quickly turn around and hit them with a series of Bairs. On another side note THIS THREAD NEEDS TO BE STICKY'D

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Im waiting for the tier list before I do any more editing. B-momementum changes aren't really that good with T. Link, plus at this point they are a general mechanic of the game.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
fast-fall cancel: can you ffcancel any of tlink's moves? the d-air seems like it can be cancelled but what any other aerials?

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
D-air cant be canceled by anything except contact with the ground or a person.

You can SHFF B-air and N-airs pretty easily.

tinnington

Smash Rookie
Better guide than most, I can honestly say that!

But I have a question, and I think this might be a better place to ask rather than created a new thread. Am I the only person who uses the bomb's explosion as a cover of sorts? It's a mindgame I find pretty useful. You throw a bomb in front of somebody, hide in the explosion while they are guarding, and then come out with any attack. It doesn't last long, but it works for me more times than not.

w3bhead

Smash Cadet
This is such a great guide, thank you Aether, this needs to be stickied and I gotta say that this guide is the reason I now main Toon Link. You are great dude, thanks!

gkrackerr

Smash Ace
Decent guide, but I gotta disagree w/ how you depicted toon links b-throw. It's actually quite usefull. I guess you can kind of think of it as Falco's b-throw in melee.

Against characters at low percents you can trick them into a b-throw into a turn around grab, then go from there.

Also, when your back is to the edge, the awkward angle that the b-throw tosses your opponent at is perfect for setting them up to get edge guarded/gimped. B-throw to boomerang to fair is a cool trick that works pretty well. Also, if you catch your opponent DIing the wrong way when you b-throw them, it can create an even more awkward trajectory, putting them at a huge disadvantage in terms of getting back to the stage.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
I wish I had some video recording device.

But, in all honesty, right now Brawl's development hasn't really led to interesting videos. You can learn a lot just from watching any competent player and developing your own play style through practice.

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Ahh nice, although i would say b-air would be a very commom kill move in addition to f-air and f-smash and it also hits horizontally..so yah good guide heh

EVE

Smash Rookie
Great guide, -aether. I was planning on maining Link in Brawl, but he's still so slow and so heavy, his recovery sucks and he can't jump. Toon Link feels a lot more smooth and he is definitely good at chasing DI and getting combos in. For some reason I disliked Y.Link in Melee but I love Tlink now.

Zummbot

Smash Rookie
I have a question about TL's D-aerial. I've noticed that on occasion the move will not launch TL toward the ground, but will be very slow. I'm not sure what causes this. Here's a video that has an example of what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN0ac-CCwA0

It happens in 00:30 - 00:31

I'm curious about the cause of this because it's unexpected and severely throws off my timing when it happens.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
It's a glitch that results when you use a D-air after being knocked upward. The upward momentum from the enemy attack seems to override the D-air's increased momentum and can produce interesting effects.

Oh - I congratulate you on your first post and decent spelling / grammatical usage. Bravo.

Zummbot

Smash Rookie
It's a glitch that results when you use a D-air after being knocked upward. The upward momentum from the enemy attack seems to override the D-air's increased momentum and can produce interesting effects.

Oh - I congratulate you on your first post and decent spelling / grammatical usage. Bravo.
Why thank you :) That makes sense, perhaps this glitch will be fixed in future releases of the game. It does produce an interesting effect but I can't foresee any way to exploit it that would be useful.

Also wanted to say I noticed you're in Baltimore. I was roommates in college with a guy who frequents tournaments in Baltimore, Chris Martinez. We used to play melee together all the time. I think he's mentioned you before. Do you know him? I've been trying to get in touch with him so we can play online (I'm in NYC now) but the contact info I have for him seems to be outdated.

Top Bottom