• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Inquiry Thread (Ask a question, get an answer)

Ugg

Smash Champion
Back air is definitely one of toon links main aerial moves.
Not much lag, great at stringing together multiple bairs, damage racker.
You should use nair when approaching, after zairs, to get someone off you.
Fairs for killing (be careful, they're slow and punishable)
Dairs should be limited. A lot of new toon links spam this for some reason. Only dair when you KNOW you'll hit them with it.
Never use it off stage as it is almost a guarantee'd SD. If you're going to use dair offstage, make sure you footstool -> dair first.
Upair for killing, air dodgers (this thing lasts a really long time)

Zair for approaching.
Zair is awesome, here are a few things you can do out of zair

Zair - Bomb - Nair
Zair - Nair
Zair - Hyphen
Zair - Bomb - Hyphen

None of these are guarantee'd as they all can be DI'd out of.
What about Zair - Grab?

Also, is there any use for a grounded up-B?

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Okai so Planking is pretty much the same thing as Stalling, except the person is constantly renewing their invincibility frames by grabbing the edge.
correct me if I'm wrong lol

Sweet on to my next newbish question =D

How does control ports make a diffrence? Which one is the best?
I've heard when someone Bowsercides the person who dies first has something to do with the control port.
Also control ports effect grabbing and whatnot :dizzy:

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Well, from what I understand, planking is fighting at the edge taking advantage of the invincibility frames. However, from what I read about the growing problem was people have who obviously and intentionally stall because they are winning on time and been called out on it claimed they are planking. So planking is seen to some people as "ledge stalling."

Personally I think planking is a strategy they may put you in a better situation than on the stage. For instance when I play against a Snake it's a good way to stay out of his tilt ranges when I'm at 100%. Snake naturally have a "poor" edge game so it helps my TL out.

My question is have people really looked into anti-planking tactics or are they just frustrated they cannot deal with it, which would naturally eat up the time and decided they are going to ban it?

Control ports do make a difference when it comes to grab priority and who gets knocked up if say an explosion happens during a grab. If you have the lower control port and you and your opponent grab at the same time, the lower control port will get the grab because of lower port. Now if your opponent was holding a bomb and it goes off, than you (the lower port) will feel the knocked back, but you both will take the damage.

The "best" control port really is situational. You would ideally want the lower controller port for grabs. If you play DDD vs DDD you should obviously want the lower port, right. If you play DDD vs Snake than you can go either. This match up is really the only one that I think control ports really can make a difference. If you think you'll have problems with Snake grenade interrupting chain grabs than maybe you want the lower port and land camp them when the grenade launch him up. Or maybe you won't have a problem with the grenades and stick with the lower control port.

I'm not sure with suicide moves, but it could be. In tournament suicides with the opponent will go to the person with the person who took the other person down so I never worried about it.

I hope this answers your question.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Well Khai to answer your question I once thought the same as you.
But planking if used correctly unless you have a good off stage character is near unstoppable.

So yes I believe its been looked into thats why its banned.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
If ur sent flying by a vertical kill move press either side in your control stick before the attack to try and avoid the vertical blast zone. Ir ur sent flying by a horizontal kill move press up in your control stick before the attack to try and avoid the blast zone. Its kinda hard to explain >_>.

Nair means Neutral Air. Bair means Back air. Fair means Forward Air. Uair means Up Air and Dair is Down air. U'll see these a lot.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Dethwaker3- Nair means Neutral Air when ur in the air press A without pressing any directions. It is one if not the best Toon Link move.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Punishing spot dodges/ shield rolls.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Thanks iRjOn for that info. I guess I'll just have to keep a watch on how I use the ledge than. That's a shame since TL is one of better edge character which would help him out and all.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Thanx ImpactAR, good info. Yea answered my question (Y)

Ok so control ports don't really effect a Toon Link Main.
The reason I asked was at this tourney like thing there was a little friendly for laughs, 4 players FFA, items on. random lvl >_<. Well yea these 2 guys pretty much rushed and grabbed the control port 1 and 4. I was like WTF?!

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
All of TL's throws do the same crappy 7% damage. So the best throw depends on the situation.

Down is good for combo starts at low percentages though it's difficult to pull off combos against players who know how to avoid this.

Use side throws to to toss your opponent off the stage to give them recovering pressure. I personally use the side throws.

Use up if you want to try to finish them up the top. When I say finish them up the top I mean you're throwing them up and try to land an Uair.

Overall you shouldn't toss out many hookshot grabs because the risk out ways the benefits.

Jxe

Smash Rookie
I have a question. What combos are useful after using a Zair. I like the Zair, shorthop, Nair one but I don't know any others.

ImpactAR

Smash Ace
Zair to SH Nair is really the only sure-fire, safe combo. This is because you can generally connect the Nair due to it's speed despite the spacing of the Zair.

Any other attacks after the Zair usually requires you connect a close, low hitting Zair. This way you can land right after the connected Zair to be able to execute an attack for the game to register it as a true combo, otherwise your opponent will have time to dodge, air dodge, or land and block depending on the situation.

IMO, it's safest to stick to Zair to Nair or Zair to Jabs.

gampy

Smash Rookie
What is a good second character for toon link?

Anyone else think ISJR has some really good potential for bairs with toon link/

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
I find Marth to be good with Toon Link. ISJR is stupid.

@ Khai, Impact AR- the general toon link stages thread is old as hell.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
Could anybody give me advice on the TL vs. Marth matchup?

Marth seems to be giving me loads of trouble, and I don't think I really even know the matchup well enough. I have read the matchup section of TL vs. Marth, but I could just use some personal experience tips. like what works well and such.

Top Bottom