• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

Thebest1pj

Pinnacle of Projectile Placement.
Hi Guys,

i wanted to send you some stuff of my fancy aggressiv Toon Link Style.

Otherwise, what can i do better?

First Match in a Set
Second Match in a Set

In the last Set (it exist a 3 Setmatch), i know that i made to many failures, so its not use to rate it.

This Videos can also be add for the Name Kunai.

I have another question too.

Do you know many good TL vs Sheik Videos. I have so much problem to face her, even more than MK O.o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JjWNIYTTiM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77RWBdVqYM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUY8BhAtDvg
here ya go my man! get some matches of you vs that sheik up that would help a ton

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
That more aggressive style will work with the ditto, but there are some matchups where playing like that for the entire time will get you beat in the long run. Your style looks good, just seems a little risky if you were to lose control of the stage or timing.

KunaiX

Smash Cadet
That more aggressive style will work with the ditto, but there are some matchups where playing like that for the entire time will get you beat in the long run. Your style looks good, just seems a little risky if you were to lose control of the stage or timing.
So your oppinion is it to play defensily
Which MUs do you mean?

You said, to play this style in the entire time would beat me in the long run. So you mean one matches or one event? Looks like I waste to much energy in playing aggressiv.

Hmm You know good Toon Links with very good defensive game?

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
He probably means to add in a bit more camping since attacking some characters head-on isn't such a great idea. Especially the top tiers (COUGH METAKNIGHT) and everybody else who doesn't have projectiles.

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, what Chsal said. Metaknight would be a big issue with that style, snake, marth, ICs, Wario a little bit, depends on how much air camping they're doing, D3, falco, fox, luigi, sonic, ganondorf, falcon, (the last few are a little bit of a stretch, it's just our ability to camp are what make the matchups so heavy in our favor for ganon and cf)

I'm not saying only play defensively, that's boring and predictable, but only playing offensively is not using toon link to his full potential.

KunaiX

Smash Cadet
Yeah, what Chsal said. Metaknight would be a big issue with that style, snake, marth, ICs, Wario a little bit, depends on how much air camping they're doing, D3, falco, fox, luigi, sonic, ganondorf, falcon, (the last few are a little bit of a stretch, it's just our ability to camp are what make the matchups so heavy in our favor for ganon and cf)

I'm not saying only play defensively, that's boring and predictable, but only playing offensively is not using toon link to his full potential.
Take a look

I played a Wario one of our best in Germany:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAqXx_WnMQ
second round is against my Peach, but that doesnt fit here xD

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
And you were playing really campy and defensively on the third stock. I didn't say your playstyle was bad, if that's what you took out of what I said I'm sorry, I was just saying playing offense only will get you beat, toon link is effective at camping the mid-range zone, and you take advantage of that very well as well as having a strong up front game.

KunaiX

Smash Cadet
And you were playing really campy and defensively on the third stock. I didn't say your playstyle was bad, if that's what you took out of what I said I'm sorry, I was just saying playing offense only will get you beat, toon link is effective at camping the mid-range zone, and you take advantage of that very well as well as having a strong up front game.
Yeah maybe i should use it more, to damage reck.

hmmm I didnt see any good campy TLs right now. Do you have good Videos?

Thebest1pj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLw2X5sUNTM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9hugrkZpxM&feature=related - same guys, later in the set

I like that one, personally

corpse has really good projectile control. I dunno about anybody who's good who has a really campy style, but as far as keeping people off of him, this guy does it well.

edit - added another vid.
..........................................................you went back to 09.

kunai here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBVw1xUcvNk
jash vs fatal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzbQjbmHDo4
jerm vs d4ba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0MnTLURrtA&feature=related

Nothing wrong with going back to '09 if you're gonna show how a TL playing defensive looks like.

Especially considering that it looks exactly like all those '10 TLs.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116

KunaiX

Smash Cadet
prolly wasn't a serious match from what i seen but good job anyways idk know if that combo at 1:21 is a true combo (when in doubt about combos in brawl its not a combo XD) or not but i have to say that mk didn't know **** who was it your friend?
crituque mine pl0x?

Bomb to Fair is a true combo

Also at 0% Bair to Footstool Dair

Look at my Videos ist **** true combo

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Work on changing how you use z-air. I think 9 out of 10 z-airs you did after weaving back then advancing and canceling your air-dodge. That is begging for somebody to step into it, PS and shield grab you. He did that at the beginning, and then for whatever reason stopped. Also, you z-air follow ups should change up a bit. You did like 1 z-air to grab and I don't think you ever followed up z-air with n-air. Also Z-air to u-smash should NEVER work. Frankly, it will only work on somebody who doesn't know Toon Link and frankly isn't that good. Also, don't approach snake when you north of 110%. Camp camp camp.

It's ok to not throw a bomb right after you pull it out either. It seemed like, at times you were just throwing stuff out, hoping they would work/annoy your opponent, instead of plotting out traps. But not all the time. I liked the z-air > returning boomerang > utilt towards the end of the match. Also, you realized that your opponent was getting frustrated with all the spam and just kept up with it, so there wasn't much need to adapt. You also did a good job of punishing his air-dodges for the most part. But try practicing new follow ups, traps, etc. Also, if you are gonna approach, try using more full hop n-air.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Pretty much summed. Ya zair to usmash should only work like once in a match zair to nair mutch better. Nice critique CTX

prOAPC

Smash Lord
yeah, i've experience that problem where i get grabbed after i used zair, it's really annoying :s gotta fix that
for me, it's a little hard to find new ways to approach, punish and all that, i can't practice that often, so do you recommend me any player to watch his/her videos?
thanks for the advice guys :)

Thebest1pj

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Take notes dont try to copy them
Quoted For Truth

--------------

Don't try to win a spacing war with Marth. You aren't going to win...if he is good. That one wasn't. Either get way inside against him, past his tipper zone, or stay very far away from him and camp. You also did the weaving back and the advancing air-dodged canceled z-air, although you didnt do it nearly as much. Sometimes you would airdodge past marth. While this can be good to do if against an opponent that isn't as quick as marth, this will get pivot-grabbed by a more savvier Marth player.

Learn how to i-bomb. A couple of times it would have saved a couple of f-air/u-air hits. Don't be afraid to recover, yes it is marth and he can edge-guard, but you can't make it so easy on your opponent that all he has to do is grab the ledge and you are dead. One more thing. That last kill, where you charged f-smash, you would have been better served charging u-smash in future matches. You can easily DI after the first hit of it and avoid the second hit. If you are light, DI up and out, medium up and jump out, and if heavy just DI down and shield.

Good job in recognizing very early this player put his shield up very easily and didn't know how to PS.
You did a good job of using different ways to implement your projectiles and it seemed like you were plotting traps. Keep that up.

CTX

Smash Journeyman
Lol sure. You may want somebody that is a shade bit more consistent than me, but sure.

Don't be afraid to run in and do a full hop n-air. Although their grab potential is high, their grab range isn't good at all. N-air is safe on shield against them. You don't have to keep using bombs all the time.

Also, there were a couple of times you just randomly did a hyphen smash when your opponent was well under-kill percent. Against the Iceys, that is just plain dumb. A couple of times you did the ZAC with an un-spaced f-air or b-air, and they were just for style points and not for actual purpose. While the bomb save you, its very risky because you will still eat unnecessary damage. While you can out-space their shield with f-air, if you don't perform it in a manner that you will result in no landing lag, it will result in you losing your stock.

Camp game against him was solid, but you can go in on Icey's with some full hop n-air. Also, just work on some general tech skill stuff to give you some more options (quick draws out of everything, i-bombing, more trap set ups, less zacing lol)

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
thanks man! :)
sometimes i waste my double jump (for no reason) and when im coming down and icies are there i start freaking out about getting grabbed and mess up.

i always get **** for being a TL main here
and im always called a "flash and no skill" toon Link
the person in the vid trolling me was none other than the
infamous Troll GangstaKirby

Quick advice.

Don't roll against ICs
Don't land near them
Always have a bomb out, in case you get grabbed.

And obviously, run away and spam.

Chsal

Smash Journeyman
Not quite too sure on "Sopo CG", but

I think TL is cgable by IC starting from
AFTER You can't button mash quick enough to get out
Till forever D=. Or the dude screws up.

Top Bottom