• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match-up Video and Critique Thread

Hyro

Smash Lord
because pump it's 3:33 long and i like that song :)

...but i don't feel like making a video so fook all that

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Haha yea, its pretty pointless.

Btw hyro, I took your "play faster against MK" advice and it kind of works. Still more testing but I might be speeding up my overall game

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Its hard to critique you because I would have to critique the marth as well. He wasnt punishing your mistakes. You guys should just play more, and get a general feel of how competitive brawl works, then I can tell you different things about your TL

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
yea alot of wat u said jerm. it is kinda hard to critique. you both made alot of mistakes. but overall good job. jus for playing as toon link. lol

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Watched match 3. Timed out a DK. Thats pretty evil lmao

But you didnt get hit from 1:21 - 3:01... Gave him the ****ing work

About the match up. DK is a simple one. Space your attacks well, bait his smashes. Camp his ****.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I've noticed that in situations like 4:04 (after the Zair), TLs never grab. They should imo.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
That's why some of you people don't know how to play Marth players because when they don't give you any air to breathe and don't know what to do because of all the close range pressure. Camping shouldn't necessarily be your solution to everything, give Toon Link a chance to fight mid range and close up, I'm sure he'll do something amazing with the right mind set.. some of you people just rely on your projectiles a little way too much. Or you could just take Jerm's advice at camping, he's really good at it.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C4Zq86jjx4
Get wrecked CF. That could make yoshi a pretty good partner in some situations

Camping him isn't gonna make you a better fighter, sure you become a better camper, but by doing so you begin to lack fundamentals that could help you win a tougher match.
camping isn't how you win every match up. But fighting dk, it's the safest option. Camping effectivly and properly is actually more difficult than just rushing in without thinking. And gives you better results, since brawl is a defensive game

now, your marth example, you can't necissarily camp him like you would do dk, but you can be safe. Rush in then retreat tactics work best for him.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
i understand your reasoning 100%, i should've figured you were talking about what may be best for playing against DK and not actually fighting him. i'm just talking about players who feel like they can win just by using a pregame strategy and don't think the other player won't figure out what is going on eventually, you can only do (and yes it is a lot but) SO much with your projectiles up to the point where they will look at the fundamentals of it and eat you inside out and that's the point i'm trying to make whenever i hear people say "camp him"

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
The Toon Link is very good, the problem is Jash is TOO GOOD. There was fundamentals the Toon Link lacked and that's why he got punished hard.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
SHDA'ing is never good. Good snakes will just powershield and approach into ****. Its mad easy to PS both. Its best to stay with bomb camping. The problem was that near was not playing it safe :/.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
SHDA is very good. And works great against snake. It stops his nades, and motorslides.

Popcornio

Smash Apprentice
I said to use it to stop nades, not for direct attacks. I wouldn't ever recommend them if your about half a stage length away, or less, from Snake.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Lol...I never knew SHDA could stop nades. OMG I should start using it against snake and abandon my new strat against snake that finally lets me win against them. I mean, SHDA is sooo good. *sarcasm*

Jerm, ur SHDA advice does not work. I tried it against snake a lot of time and never beat them that way. Now that Im bomb camping I can actually win against snakes.

Eh w/e Im in a bad mood.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
Lol...I never knew SHDA could stop nades. OMG I should start using it against snake and abandon my new strat against snake that finally lets me win against them. I mean, SHDA is sooo good. *sarcasm*

Jerm, ur SHDA advice does not work. I tried it against snake a lot of time and never beat them that way. Now that Im bomb camping I can actually win against snakes.

Eh w/e Im in a bad mood.
Consider having an open mind because a lot of the things you do are situational, someone else's advice should never go unheard and you only make yourself ignorant by refusing their wisdom. Hopefully you get in a better mood bro no need to stress on a forum about super smash brothers.

MJG

Smash Hero

Eh w/e Im in a bad mood.
Are you serious? Lol...

Zair will blow the grenade up (Even if the snake drops the nade and sits in his shield)

Space it obviously >_<

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Mr TLMnoobant , I wasnt telling you to use my stratagy. If it didnt work for you, thats fine. But my own style has worked from me and I didnt want people to disregard SHDA just because you said so.

SHDA only works for the short time in which Snake realizes that he can't stand still forever. When he starts to walk towards you, do something else. >_>

Or you could just pick Metaknight.

GodMeowMix

Smash Ace
SHDA only works for the short time in which Snake realizes that he can't stand still forever. When he starts to walk towards you, do something else. >_>

Or you could just pick Metaknight.
Lol you don't repeat patterns, everything is situational. Most of us have been playing fighters for a while and understand if you do the same thing over and over your opponent will obviously catch on and punish.

Top Bottom