• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Roll away throw bomb at them
Dont roll away. Tinks roll is so bad, if your gonna take the "get away and toss bomb" approach, jus dash away and jump cancel bomb toss.

As for throws, down throw is probably our best all-around throw. It puts our opponent in a bad position behind us and in the air. This gives us solid followups, or lots of read options like going for hyphen Usmash.
Up throw will kill most characters at about 200% and is especially good vs. olimar.
F throw and B throw are solid and are mostly used to get them off stage and ready to be edge guarded.

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
you have to be actively thinking while playing. Pay attention to what is working and what isn't. Its extremely easy to get caught up in being repetitious when it comes to camping. If the person isn't getting hit by projectiles try throwing things in different order/directions. Instead of throwing bombs at them, throw them upwards. There is no set way to camp at all, and your spamming should be constantly changing throughout matches.(unless if they always fall for the same traps, then keep doing it till it no longer works)

It is most important to recognize how ppl get through your wall. The most simple ways ppl get inside is through blocking, rolling, and airdodging inside. When ppl get to this close range you need to try to punish whichever attempt they will try to get inside. Think about your options and try to come up with get away options that are safe and hopefully cover multiple options.

I could tell you a bunch of examples of stuff to do, but there is no set in stone correct way to camp. Thinking and coming up with your own options is the best thing for you as it will make you a better player as well.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Southpaw is right on with what he said. DO NOT get into auto-pilot as toon link. His auto-pilot is so bad.
A good mixup is initiating a shda but instead of shooting the second arrow, double jump, pull a bomb, throw a rang, ir if they get inside, jus dash past them.

:phone:

MJG

Smash Hero
I have achieved mastery of TL's grab.
I already did that sorry <3. Ill be impressed when someone learns how to grab with bombs ;)

Southpaw and G-Dub are both right btw. Listen to themmmmm

We out.

EDIT: To add onto what was said, a big factor in regards to setting up your opponents for kills/followups is to see how they react to a bomb hitting their shield. Some of the MKs that I have fought like to SL after a bomb has hit their shield (and if I am relatively close). If you recognize this, you can land yourself a kill if you bait the shuttle loop and punish it properly. There is a lot more to be said but my best advice for you (and anyone looking to not get predictable) is to literally just keep playing and to get some more experience. As bland as that may sound, I think its the best thing that you can do at this point. You can read up on anything you would like. You can watch all the toon link videos in the world but if you don't go through the steps yourself until you are satisfied with your game-play overall, then its not gonna be very beneficial in the end.

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
I already did that sorry <3. Ill be impressed when someone learns how to grab with bombs ;)

Southpaw and G-Dub are both right btw. Listen to themmmmm

We out.

EDIT: To add onto what was said, a big factor in regards to setting up your opponents for kills/followups is to see how they react to a bomb hitting their shield. Some of the MKs that I have fought like to SL after a bomb has hit their shield (and if I am relatively close). If you recognize this, you can land yourself a kill if you bait the shuttle loop and punish it properly. There is a lot more to be said but my best advice for you (and anyone looking to not get predictable) is to literally just keep playing and to get some more experience. As bland as that may sound, I think its the best thing that you can do at this point. You can read up on anything you would like. You can watch all the toon link videos in the world but if you don't go through the steps yourself until you are satisfied with your game-play overall, then its not gonna be very beneficial in the end.
That is what I thought I had to do. It's better to have hands on experience than to just read about it.

:phone:

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry if this is found but I was just curious as to what I'm doing, but twice I have accidentally B-reversed an arrow just as im about to land and TL lands facing the right and the arrow shoots to the left, can someone tell me what I did? Also I was wondering if I can properly do that, but instead of just tapping b and letting the arrow go can I charge and still have TL facing one way and the arrow shoot the other way?

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry if this is found but I was just curious as to what I'm doing, but twice I have accidentally B-reversed an arrow just as im about to land and TL lands facing the right and the arrow shoots to the left, can someone tell me what I did? Also I was wondering if I can properly do that, but instead of just tapping b and letting the arrow go can I charge and still have TL facing one way and the arrow shoot the other way?
yeah its an AT of toons. I forget what its called, but check the Never ending tips and tricks thread. Its in there somewhere.

It's called the BCAT. Battle Christ's Arrow Trick (or something like that) It's easier to do it if you buffer it with something.

Try this in practice mode: Shorthop -> Forward Air -> Left or Right -> Arrow Cancel -> Left or Right (opposite direction of last time).

The timing is different, but you can replace Forward Air with Back Air, Neutral Air, Bomb Pull, and other things.

Alberto1866

Smash Journeyman
yeah its an AT of toons. I forget what its called, but check the Never ending tips and tricks thread. Its in there somewhere.
It's called the BCAT. Battle Christ's Arrow Trick (or something like that) It's easier to do it if you buffer it with something.

Try this in practice mode: Shorthop -> Forward Air -> Left or Right -> Arrow Cancel -> Left or Right (opposite direction of last time).

The timing is different, but you can replace Forward Air with Back Air, Neutral Air, Bomb Pull, and other things.

That sounds a bit confusing @.@ but I'll try thanks guys!

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Hey Toons. I have a question, I have someone saying that this technique called IZAC is not used by pros in tournament play and he says MJG thinks its "too hard". He thinks its stupid that you guys don't use it but I'm trying to say that I'm sure there is a reason to why you guys don't use it.

So, if you guys don't use it could you give me an indepth reason to why IZAC is not used?

Thanks in advance my fellow high tier cousins ~

archer.

Smash Lord
There was a bit of a discussion about this just the other day in skype, but what it comes down to is that it takes a lot of practice to master with rather little reward. That time could be put to better use, and the tech itself, while flashy, is also kind of gimmicky, as there's not much practical application. After all, all the tech does is allow you to do an aerial while you have a bomb/other item in your hand, which really isn't as good as it sounds. If it was, you'd see not only TL's, but other characters who can produce items abusing the tech left and right. As it stands, the only character to my knowledge whose mains often use aerials while holding an item is Peach, and that's because she can do it just by using her float (rather than doing an IZAC), which is much, much easier to do, and even then it's not like being able to do this makes Peach a good/better character anyway.

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
loool. toon link sux. just like learn how to punish landings and dthrow cg him to death. most moves are safer than normal outside of unspaced ftilt2 gets shield grabbed. just out trade and outkill toon link. toon link is like every snakes personal worst mu for some reason. go watch ally not give a fuggg when he plays this mu.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Zair->Zair?
Ive been playing around with it and it seems to work consistently on tall and/or floaty characters at low-mid percents. Zair->Zair->Nair also seems to work for a nifty combo.
Anyone else use this???

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
i assume you mean when you zair and then can't really follow up with a nair. so you just zair at them again safely but this time if zair lands it'll combo into nair. its a better option then stubbornly trying to nair when it won't land.

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
I jus mean as another option for a followup to zair. Maybe you wanna keep nair fresh?
Zair->rising Zair jus seems to be something that could actually be used in certain MUs just as Zair->Nair.
Idk. Jus wondering if anyone has messed around with it.

ShadowTl

Smash Apprentice
Nair is a lot more damage though. If they're to far away they'll still shield because they expect the nair. So just grab them when they shield or dair when they spotdodge.

Ziinx

Smash Rookie
I'm having trouble with TL's dair, whenever I toss an opponent off a ledge, and go in for a dair, the dair 50% of the time seems to launch the opponent upward and not downward. Is there a way to prevent the opponent from launching upward instead of going downward?

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
First of all you shouldnt be going for the Dair off stage....ever...the risk far outweighs the reward.
But to answer your question: the Dair will spike at the beginning of the move near the start of the plummet. If it hits too late, your opponent is sent upwards.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Game 4 of the Losers Finals of Apex 2013 Doubles

Sometimes you just gotta take your Triforce of Courage hand, grab your balls and make the magic happen

Top Bottom