• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
so are no platforms better than platforms for TL? like if you were playing somebody that could out camp you would a stage like FD or SV be better than BF? Where as if you were trying to time somebody out or force them to approach because they have no projectiles would a stage with platforms be better?
Also how are brinstar an rainbow cruise for TL? me and my friends only play on neutrals for friendlies so I havent really tried them out yet.

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
This is probably a dumb question but do any toon link's moves have a sweet spot? if yes, which ones?
UUmmm, you could consider the part where you hit them with box hitboxes of Nair a sweet spot. Theres a sour spot on his Usmash on the backside. Besides those idk about anyother off the top of my head.

If by sweetspot you mean something like Marth's tipper, then no, TL has none of that. He just has regular spots and sour spots.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
does anybody know if it is possible to wavebounce a zair? Like you would be running toward somebody jump then at the same time zair but your momentum would be reversed facing the same direction? I did things like chance the c stick to grab and other stuff but I couldn't get anything to work.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
You can't reversal bombs, which means you can't wave bounce them

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
So I've been watching some videos of different toon links against mk's and I notice most of the time the TL gets to go to FD for their counter pick. I thought FD was the best stage to fight a mk on, is there a better one? Also I notice nobody takes TL to rainbow cruise or brinstar. are these stages good for TL?

Pippy

Smash Apprentice
I've tried to get into competitive a few times, but I've never known where to start. If you main Toon, where's a good place to start to make the jump between casual and competitive?

southpaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4442-0022-4229
I don't think tl has been a popular char for a long time now. the forums are actually more active-ish lately, but if you ever have questions I'm sure they will be answered.
good luck with tl, I'd suggest maining a real high tier char instead, but tl is really fun to play.

It's like if the revival of the great spirit of Zange-chan attracted all the old***s back to the Toon Link boards. :D :D :D

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Personally I suck with TL in teams. Nothing about him really stands out, light, average time killing. Spamming projectiles only works well against when you're focusing on one opponent, and not another and your teammate.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I've never tried TL in teams. So how would anyone rate him in teams from 1-10?

ByakuganXYZ

Smash Rookie
I plan on having Toon Link as a new main, but I really want to know the mindset, play style, metagame, etc. around the Brawl background of this guy. Mainly, I want to know:

What should I be thinking about while playing as Toon Link?

What are some tricks I can learn/use with Toon Link?

What are some of the best ways to kill?

When should I use projectiles, and how often?

What characters will I be fighting who will give me trouble or require me to use more effort to defeat?

Any things I need to know, Please include.

Thanks!

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
@_@ wow i guess the tlink boards are probably the most inactive boards here or something...

i can't give you too much advice for toon link since i don't main him, but I do use him occasionally, and I've picked up some things from my buddies who do main him, I can tell you this; toon link is a projectile camper through and through, in regards to your question about projectiles, you should be using them *ALL* the time(so long as they're a safe enough distance away), bombs, short hop arrows and boomerang, you need to make your opponent sift through an annoying wall of projectiles like mad, you need to be forcing them to have to approach you, all the while building up any damage you can, and then proceed to punish their approach. Now obviously you need to be wise about what you're doing, and against characters like falco, you have to be really careful less you want your own stuff knocked back on you.

but nonetheless, just remember that toon link is a camper in every sense of the word, he's got a great projectile game when used properly, and you should be using those projectiles as often as you can.

now...really some toon link mains here come here and give him some more detailed advice really...

.SirLink.

Smash Cadet
Toon link isn't necessarily a camper. I play mad aggressive with him and I three stock locals, and usually win or go evenish with people that know what they're doing. I use my projectiles mostly in jams or to make openings but melee is my main objective. I find my play style very fun.

BTW why doesn't anyone nair->quickdraw anymore?

:phone:

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
Toon link isn't necessarily a camper. I play mad aggressive with him and I three stock locals, and usually win or go evenish with people that know what they're doing. I use my projectiles mostly in jams or to make openings but melee is my main objective. I find my play style very fun.

I Zair to nair to QuickDraw still

army man

Smash Ace

and that's what its all about in the end, but you also have to be smart, don't JUST use melee, use both, know what and who you're using

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
I prefer put Fair in killmoves and Bair in spacing moves. Jab is also a good spacing tool.

F-smash isn't reliable for killing tbh but it deals very good damages.

Musketeer04

Smash Cadet
F-smash is reliable if it hits, it will almost always kill. I agree with the fair and bair though.

What is TL's most reliable kill and spacing moves?
Most reliable kill move? I'd say UAir. It lingers, it's super strong, has a lot of priority + range, and it's easy to land since it outlasts an air dodge (iirc).

Other good kill moves would be USmash/Utilt and Fair, but those are harder to land. At high percents, you can land a Nair/Bair and get a kill if they're stale, but they aren't considered kill moves.

Spacing moves, your best option is Zair. It's godlike.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
What are the effects of other ranged specials on the boomerang, bombs, and arrows?

In specific:

Fox/Falco's laser's on Boomerang + thrown bombs + sitting bombs + arrows.

IC's blizzard's on Boomerang + bombs + arrows (if blizzard does explode the bomb, do the ICs get hit?).

ZSS' para-laser's on Boomerang + bombs + arrows.

ShadowTl

Smash Apprentice
Arrows and boomerangs don't have that much priority, they only go through weak priorities like diddy's peanuts. Bombs do have a lot priority, they go through most other projectiles and even moves like mk's tornado. They go through lazers and blizzard, don't know about zss.

About the kill moves, bomb to fair or up air is great for killing.

Top Bottom