• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Kaffei

Smash Hero
1 question.. This might be a bad comparison, but whatever:

In Melee you could approach more easily as YL with Nairs and stuff, but how come in Brawl you have to pressure more to get inside your opponent? Or maybe that's just me. @_@

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Shieldstun is the amount of frames u cant do anything and are trapped in your shield after getting hit by an attack. In melee, there was a lot of shieldstun making it harder to counter Out of shield.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Shieldstun is the amount of frames u cant do anything and are trapped in your shield after getting hit by an attack. In melee, there was a lot of shieldstun making it harder to counter Out of shield.
I miss melee.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Hey I'm considering becoming a TL main, and I was wondering what the best controller configuration is (for GC controller). At the moment because I'm a PT main I've got R set to jump for Squirtle's ATs and X/Y set to grab, with TJ off. I'm particularly curious about whether I should have TJ on or off for TL.

Btw In terms of KOs, what are the finishers you should be trying to land? I know what the finishers are, but many like f and dsmash aren't usually that viable, so are uair, fair and usmash the most potent ones?

Thanks in advance.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Hey I'm considering becoming a TL main, and I was wondering what the best controller configuration is (for GC controller). At the moment because I'm a PT main I've got R set to jump for Squirtle's ATs and X/Y set to grab, with TJ off. I'm particularly curious about whether I should have TJ on or off for TL.

Btw In terms of KOs, what are the finishers you should be trying to land? I know what the finishers are, but many like f and dsmash aren't usually that viable, so are uair, fair and usmash the most potent ones?

Thanks in advance.
It's really personal preference. I have Tap Jump turned on.
Your kill moves are U-Smash, U-Tilt, U-Air, F-Smash, F-Air.
U-Smash is probably the most reliable out of that list.
D-Smash CAN be used to kill, but your opponent needs to be at a really high %.

Also, has anyone won consistently against a person with TL, and they say they lost because of projectile spam (johns) or is that just me?

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
If you're new to TL which Ats should be leart first- in other words, the important ones you'll use in every match.

And also, what are the best options out of a grab- which throw should we be using and does he have any grab relase mindgames etc.

Thanks in advance.

Lobos

Smash Master
Arrow cancels are a must learn for beginners.

The best grab imo is the dthrow since you can follow up with an aerial most of the time.

Thanks in advance.
I use a GC controller with TJ off, R set to jump like you, and Y set to grab. It's good to have R set to jump, because it's a lot easier to SHDA (Short Hop Double Arrow) with it. There is nothing special that you can do with Tap Jump, so I recommend you keep it off if you want. So yeah, your current control scheme is perfectly fine.

Also, all our aerials (unstale) can kill. Our Usmash is a kill move as well, which works well after a Zair. Fsmash kills, but Toon Links NEVER use Fsmash. Dsmash kills, and so does Utilt.

I would say the best kill moves that suit me are fair, bair, uair, and utilt.

Have fun.

EDIT:
If you're new to TL which Ats should be leart first- in other words, the important ones you'll use in every match.

And also, what are the best options out of a grab- which throw should we be using and does he have any grab relase mindgames etc.

Thanks in advance.
Quickdraw. Quickdraw is the most basic and most important TL tech. If we shorthop, we can fair, bair, nair, arrow, bomb pull, and bomb throw, then quickdraw. The quickdraw can also be pivoted with good timing. Experiment with this.

We have a lot of bomb techs that are pretty important, like JC throws and iBombs (InvinciBombing).

As for grabs, DThrow is the best, since you can uair or bair the opponent afterwards. I like to use Bthrow, but that's just me.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Thanks, also I'm having trouble shorthopping, with PT I used to able to pull out an aerial straight away so it didn't really make a difference but with TL it's more noticable. Is there some kind of trick to it that I'm not getting. As I said before, I use R to jump maybe that makes it harder.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Thanks, also I'm having trouble shorthopping, with PT I used to able to pull out an aerial straight away so it didn't really make a difference but with TL it's more noticable. Is there some kind of trick to it that I'm not getting. As I said before, I use R to jump maybe that makes it harder.
Well I use X to jump.. Idk lol. Just practice SHing.

What are you doing? Are you just trying to do any aerial out of a SH? I jump with X, and I really don't notice anything wrong. Are you talking about some sort of split second difference, or is there a noticeable gap between jumping and doing your aerial? If it's only a split second, then don't worry about it. However, if it's a noticeable gap, then try jumping with X or Y, and rolling your thumb to the A. I use R to jump when I SHDA, and I think that's a better method of jumping, since you have 2 fingers at use, instead of one.

Just keep on trying. Watch some videos for inspiration. TL is really fun.

Dalub

Smash Apprentice
Also, has anyone won consistently against a person with TL, and they say they lost because of projectile spam (johns) or is that just me?
It always happens to me, they say its a gay way to play so it's not fair, they say that i need to play fair, like a man, lol noobs.
I LOVE to annoy them with Quickdraw =), i love to hear their johns because its funny (=.
So yes, i think that happens to every TL main ^^

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Twink what I mean is when I used Squirtle I'd be able to jump and then fair someone on the ground and then possibly wall them, but with TL if I jump and try use zair straight away he does it too high and it'd only hit a an opponent in the air, in other words I can't hit grounded oppnents with aerials.

So Twink do you use both X/Y and R to jump?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
It always happens to me, they say its a gay way to play so it's not fair, they say that i need to play fair, like a man, lol noobs.
I LOVE to annoy them with Quickdraw =), i love to hear their johns because its funny (=.
So yes, i think that happens to every TL main ^^
Lol, when someone first sees Quick Draw their reaction always amuses me.

Twink what I mean is when I used Squirtle I'd be able to jump and then fair someone on the ground and then possibly wall them, but with TL if I jump and try use zair straight away he does it too high and it'd only hit a an opponent in the air, in other words I can't hit grounded oppnents with aerials.

So Twink do you use both X/Y and R to jump?
Oh that.....

Well I use X to jump primarily. I use R to SHDA.

And also, you're not supposed to Zair right out of a short hop. It hits too high, so you might only be able to hit taller characters like Snake or DDD. The glory of the Zair is the fact that it auto cancels perfectly, which means it is best to use it upon landing. In other words, you short hop, and at the peak of your jump, you AIR DODGE, and Zair.

You air dodge so your Zair won't buffer into an air dodge. Do you get me?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Oh that.....

Well I use X to jump primarily. I use R to SHDA.

And also, you're not supposed to Zair right out of a short hop. It hits too high, so you might only be able to hit taller characters like Snake or DDD. The glory of the Zair is the fact that it auto cancels perfectly, which means it is best to use it upon landing. In other words, you short hop, and at the peak of your jump, you AIR DODGE, and Zair.

You air dodge so your Zair won't buffer into an air dodge. Do you get me?
But the thing is, ADing into a Z-Air every single time is so predictable.. A friend of mine just sees me air dogdge, and he reads me like a book.
I think sometimes not ADing isn't too bad.. Thoughts?

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Yeah I sorta get you, I'm glad you told me you can't zair immediately out of a SH because that's what I was tryna do.

So if you're always meant to airdodge when you zair, then I don't really need to have the grab button in a convenient place, because I can just press A to zair out of an airdogde.

By the way incase you didn't know (you probably do but anyway) there was recently a national tournmanet in Australia which was won by a TL, and he dominated it apparently.

But the thing is, ADing into a Z-Air every single time is so predictable.. A friend of mine just sees me air dogdge, and he reads me like a book.
I think sometimes not ADing isn't too bad.. Thoughts?
Don't spam it, and Zair RIGHT after the air dodge. You're only supposed to air dodge long enough so that the Zair won't buffer into an air dodge. Mix it up a little. Don't always move forward when you Zair so you can follow up. Just poke, and move backwards. Or better yet, don't Zair. Do something completely different. Mindgames!

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Don't spam it, and Zair RIGHT after the air dodge. You're only supposed to air dodge long enough so that the Zair won't buffer into an air dodge. Mix it up a little. Don't always move forward when you Zair so you can follow up. Just poke, and move backwards. Or better yet, don't Zair. Do something completely different. Mindgames!
Haha, definitely!
Mann... TL is such a fun char to play.

@dre89: Are you by any chance that dude who played Maple Story? And about that aussy tourney. What's the name?

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Na I didn't play Maple Story. The guy's name is Consecreate (I think his real name was Sam), the tournament was called Rocky's.

dre_89_

Smash Cadet
Yeah sorry that's what I meant, how does he compare to the TL's in America? I know Brawl down under isn't as good as in the states so I'm curious to know how he compares.

Dalub

Smash Apprentice
Actually ADing before doing the Zair is only useful if you are holding a bomb, i don't see why we have to AD before the Zair if we are not holding a bomb, am i right?

❀W.E.M.P.❀

Mote Of Dust
holy ****, i dont remember there being this many toon link mains. I feel out of the loop

also sasuke bowser is a poop face, and stole my style

((just kidding sasuke, i love you <333 )

also, despite popular belief, diamonds, infact, do not equal clubs.

LaIotun

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure every character that "spams" projectile that hears this =/

Kaffei

Smash Hero
By the way, what is the difference between YL's bombs and TL's bombs? I know TL's bombs have a bigger blast radius but apparently YL's bombs "combo" or something. I don't really get it.

Top Bottom