• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Q&A and FAQ Thread <- VISIT THIS THREAD BEFORE CREATING A NEW TOPIC

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Haha, actually I've been getting into that Sheikant! =)
I got it handled, don't worry.

Also, grab relese -> UpB is awesome.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I get internet back on my home computer tomorrow(probably)!!!! ^_^
I can finally work on stuff again.

What a great day for Sasuke to get his internet back.

Edit: And just when Sasuke gets his internet, I lose mine. Hurray....... :/

Flynch

Smash Cadet
Hi TL's! I'm a fox main but I was messing around with TL the other day against a lucario.

I reflected his B orb.
He was on the ground and shot his B (charged fully)
I landed and it tinged on my shield as if it would have negated it.
Then I pivot shielded, simple turning the other way while shielding.
The ball disappeared on my shield and reappeared in front of me, then shot through me without hurting me and kept going to the lucario. (he jumped over it sadly)

Please note the pivot shield and ting happened very fast. Also, I believe landing affected the reflection.

You guys probably know this but I thought I'd post it up. It looooooked awwwwwesome :D:D:D

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
0_0

Wait What!?!

I swear if you're joking around I'm gonna be pretty mad!

Ok, so are you saying, that you somehow managed to reflect, not just negate, with Toon's shield by pivoting? Vids? Seriously, if anyone knows if this is known already or not, it's me, and I'm telling you, this is not known. Not only that, but if this is legit, this is huge!

I'm testing right now!

Please get a vid up if possible, and maybe go into excruciating detail as to how you actually performed this.

You're not joking right?

Edit: This is a joke or I'm doing it wrong. Vids.

Flynch

Smash Cadet
0_0

Wait What!?!

I swear if you're joking around I'm gonna be pretty mad!

Ok, so are you saying, that you somehow managed to reflect, not just negate, with Toon's shield by pivoting? Vids? Seriously, if anyone knows if this is known already or not, it's me, and I'm telling you, this is not known. Not only that, but if this is legit, this is huge!

I'm testing right now!

Please get a vid up if possible, and maybe go into excruciating detail as to how you actually performed this.

You're not joking right?

Edit: This is a joke or I'm doing it wrong. Vids.
I may be a moderate player but I understand the game and I'm definitely not joking. I tried to save the replay but I couldn't on my friends wii because it was over 3mins. I'll do it again when we get together and save replays.

I'll try to go into as much detail as possible, but please keep in mind it happens really fast and I'm not the most advanced player on the boards so I could be missing something.

In Order.
Lucario shot his B move (he was grounded)
I was in the air coming down, I was also dumb and what I had been trying to do was roll to the right but messed up.
When I landed the ball tinged on my shield and disappeared.
As it tinged I pivoted and was shielding after.
The ball appeared in front of me a second or less after i pivoted and shot backwards, through me, towards the lucario player.
This happened realllllllly fast. I would assume from what I know the timing on this is frame perfect and limited to a single frame or two.
I also had my boomerang in the air at the time but it didn't affect the situation..

I'm moving into an apartment Saturday but I should have time that night or Sunday to get replays.

EDIT - When i went back to try it again I often rolled or got hit by the B move, my tech skill isn't the best :/

EDIT2 - I'd really appreciate others trying as well, I promise I'm not joking whether that means anything or not.

EDIT3 - There's a good chance I was fast falling also.

Savvy

Smash Cadet
I was playing lucario. I swear this happened. It all happened very fast but i shot my aurora sphere at toon link while he was coming down from the air and he pivoted upon landing and REFLECTED it back at me. We then killed ourselves in hopes the replay would be shorter than 3mins but it was not.

It was awesome to say the least. Hopefully we can pull it off again and save the replay.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I'll look into it.

Lol if this turns into the next "grabbing with a bomb".

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Dude Flynch! Your'e not kidding are you. Ok, well I believe you. Besides, I think it's awesome to have another Fox player on the Toon boards who finds this sorta thing XD. Rest assured, I've already tried for about half and hour to get this to work. What I wasn't doing was rolling, so maybe that was it. But just so I'm absolutely clear, when you said, the aura sphere 'tinged' your shield, are you talking about the hyrulian shield, or the normal shield. And the same thing with when you said, you pivoted and was shielding after, which shield are you talking about?

I'm gonna go try this again. I'm hoping to get it to happen before the vids come out. Thanks so far for telling us about this.

Edit: Also, when you said, roll to the right, which way were you facing in the first place? Like, were you rolling towards or away from lucario?

Flynch

Smash Cadet
Dude Flynch! Your'e not kidding are you. Ok, well I believe you. Besides, I think it's awesome to have another Fox player on the Toon boards who finds this sorta thing XD. Rest assured, I've already tried for about half and hour to get this to work. What I wasn't doing was rolling, so maybe that was it. But just so I'm absolutely clear, when you said, the aura sphere 'tinged' your shield, are you talking about the hyrulian shield, or the normal shield. And the same thing with when you said, you pivoted and was shielding after, which shield are you talking about?

I'm gonna go try this again. I'm hoping to get it to happen before the vids come out. Thanks so far for telling us about this.

Edit: Also, when you said, roll to the right, which way were you facing in the first place? Like, were you rolling towards or away from lucario?
It tinged on the hyrulian shield, i pivoted and then normal shielded.
Rolling away from the lucario and I was rolling right at the time.

I've played TL for a while.. He's my favorite besides Fox but I'm not too good with him yet.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Sweet, this is all good to know. I'll keep trying, still haven't made it work yet. What percent was Lucario on? You never know, it may have a bit to do with how big the projectile was or something. And have you managed to make it work yet without jumping then landing, like have you made it work by just standing there, pivoting and shielding?

Flynch

Smash Cadet
Sweet, this is all good to know. I'll keep trying, still haven't made it work yet. What percent was Lucario on? You never know, it may have a bit to do with how big the projectile was or something. And have you managed to make it work yet without jumping then landing, like have you made it work by just standing there, pivoting and shielding?
Only got it to work coming out of the air. Percent could actually have something big to do with it. When I just stand there it would either ting on my shield, I'd roll backwards on accident, or pivot shield too early and it just get eaten by the back of my shield. Tonight after moving or tomorrow after work I'll get started with my friend. Trying different percents and everything. I promise this happened though, I'm GOING to get it to work again and get the replay.

BTW, if I get a replay can I send the file to you? I've never put a replay up, but can if it's easy.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Still haven't got it to work.... I must be doing something wrong. I can't wait to see it.

Yeah, I can't make vids or anything like that. So I wouldn't be able to help you there. Maybe ask Sasuke if he's not too busy. But I'm sure that someone will offer to help you out. There are many Toon mains that are pretty good with making vids.

Flynch

Smash Cadet
Still haven't got it to work.... I must be doing something wrong. I can't wait to see it.

Yeah, I can't make vids or anything like that. So I wouldn't be able to help you there. Maybe ask Sasuke if he's not too busy. But I'm sure that someone will offer to help you out. There are many Toon mains that are pretty good with making vids.
Awesome! I'll be with my friend tonight and were gonna try it out a lot. I plan on trying everything from having a boomerang in the air to attempting it at different percentages. Hope for success :D

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Hey if you do actually get it to work, then it would be sweet if you could test it with other projectiles as well. If that all works, then try it just standing there. If that doesn't work then it must have something to do with Toon's 'getting up' animation after a full hop or a SH Fast fall and the projectile hitting a certain part of the shield just before Toon stands fully up. If that's the case, then it might be able to be done by crouching and then letting go of crouch at the right time or something. Anyway, I'm sure you got this. Just test stuff. It's what I'd do XD.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Has anyone thought of doing this in battle: Cancelling out Dair's downward momentum by catching a bomb that's about to explode? Like say if you're trying to spike snake or something, and he might air dodge. Pull out a bomb, get the timing right, Z-Drop and immediately catch the bomb so you dair off stage and not die.

Maybe that is a stupid idea lol.

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
It's been thought of before. Practically, it doesn't work because you're relying on the timing of the exploding bomb, so you can only safely Dair at the correct time, which is usually too late. The Safe Spike 1 and 2 were based on trying to get this idea to work. I've moved on since then.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
It's been thought of before. Practically, it doesn't work because you're relying on the timing of the exploding bomb, so you can only safely Dair at the correct time, which is usually too late. The Safe Spike 1 and 2 were based on trying to get this idea to work. I've moved on since then.
Yeah, I didn't think it's very realistic. It's more situational, IMO, sorta like that Dair AT thing by LP.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I'm having trouble getting back onto the stage because my opponents are either good edge guarders or I just suck balls at being unpredictable. I'm guessing it's the latter. What should I do?

Kaffei

Smash Hero
How can I damage the oponent while he recovers? Maybe even stop him...
Throw projectiles.

I have a question; when I get sent into the air, what should I do, because I always pull out a bomb ~>throw it down that's predictable

Kaffei

Smash Hero
No one is answering so that must mean it's okay to double p0stt

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
don't just throw it down. do weird stuff. or at least just z-drop. Basically you want to hide behind the bomb you're dropping so your opponent can't get to you without getting hit by the bomb. And if you do throw it and they shield, feel free to dair. Shield pressure or eventual shield poke.

and if they come up after you (like sonic's up-b or something), and you're high enough above the ground, just dair to the ground. They'll usually avoid or airdodge you'll pull out of the landing lag while theyre in the air still and suddenly they have to worry about getting juggled while you control the ground. either that or you're both safely on the ground. or they're stupid and got hit by the predictable dair.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm considering maining Toon so I have a few questions-

How do Toons juggle?

What would you say his learning curve is like? How long roughly will it take for me to get familiar with him?

What are his momentum cancel moves?

Is dthrow the best throw to use?

Also, is there any point learning the BCAT? I know the point is to string into a bair afterward, but it seems like there'd be too much lag on it even though it's a quickdraw.

Thanks, in advance, I'm sure I'm bound to have more questions in the next few days.

Top Bottom