• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link vs Diddy

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Hey I was just curious if anyone had played decent diddys. I had recently played my friend who uses diddy and he just seemed way quick for my usual techniques. Perhaps its in my mind but Diddy seems to have some super fast moves [i.e. dsmash] aside from the no lag dash atk. Tips on beating a good Diddy? :)

QUIVO

Smash Master
Just space properly. It is a tough match because of his speed, but you have more priority. Remember that he can't kill all that well. His kill moves are Fsmash, Dsmash and some aerials (I think Fair and Bair).

Try to keep him off of you with projectiles. Overwhelm him with them. Do that until you figure out what can work against him. If he has bananas, try to pick them up with dash attack and use them against him. Don't focus on that though, cause that can be a distraction that could possibly cost you the match. I've seen some diddy's approach with over b as an attack and as the grab. The grab is used in case you shield, so be prepared to counter that with possibly a nair.

Their recovery is usually over b and then up b. Try to get him in the over b, but watch out in case he does that foot thing and if he grabs you, he can just diddy hump to gimp. Use your quick attacks on him, such as usmash, nair, and jab combos. IMO, don't use the usmash much.. otherwise you'll have a harder time killing him.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Um, when given the opportunity, use his bananas against him. Use your projectiles. Spacing is very important. Also, Diddy has a predictable recovery, especially when recovering from directly below the edge. So don't be afraid to Dair spike diddy when he is in jetpack mode.

zaf

Smash Lord
Just space properly. It is a tough match because of his speed, but you have more priority. Remember that he can't kill all that well. His kill moves are Fsmash, Dsmash and some aerials (I think Fair and Bair).

Try to keep him off of you with projectiles. Overwhelm him with them. Do that until you figure out what can work against him. If he has bananas, try to pick them up with dash attack and use them against him. Don't focus on that though, cause that can be a distraction that could possibly cost you the match. I've seen some diddy's approach with over b as an attack and as the grab. The grab is used in case you shield, so be prepared to counter that with possibly a nair.

Their recovery is usually over b and then up b. Try to get him in the over b, but watch out in case he does that foot thing and if he grabs you, he can just diddy hump to gimp. Use your quick attacks on him, such as usmash, nair, and jab combos. IMO, don't use the usmash much.. otherwise you'll have a harder time killing him.

i agree with the use of projectiles. use them as much as you can to space yourself. The best thing with sword users and one of my favorite uses with them is that sword attacks tend to have priority. If you can read how diddy is being play, just press a and your sword attack with either hit him or both attacks with stop and you can keep swinging.

when i play people who like to get up close and personal ( most diddys), i just swing the sword. it works real nice. Besides that grabbing is the next best thing, i just shield and grab them.

Umby

Smash Master
Although you can probably space it, be careful trying to edgeguard Diddy's Side B off the edge. You might end up getting Diddy Humped and can't do anything while he jumps off your head back to the stage.

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Ah yeah, I'll have to test it out but better spacing always helps. Too bad I'm too afraid to dair haha..too many suicides O_O And does the sword really have priority ? If so that's really useful..

QUIVO

Smash Master
Moves with disjointed hitboxes usually (if not always) have more priority unless put up against another disjointed hitbox. Which all of toon link's moves are disjointed.

w3bhead

Smash Cadet
I say attack the recovery whenever possible, if you hit him while he is charging his jetpacks you will most likely gimp him beyond recovery. Usually I use the boomerang for gimping Diddy but on some occasions fairs and bairs seem to be effective as well. Good luck!

Zenonfury

Smash Cadet
Ya i managed to beat him now =] His speed is useful but i noticed with speed comes somewhat predictability in a sense. I shielded long enough to block fast atks but didn't get grabbed. Once again TL wins ..haha

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
Moves with disjointed hitboxes usually (if not always) have more priority unless put up against another disjointed hitbox. Which all of toon link's moves are disjointed.
Do they really? Ouch, that means I shouldn't be losing to Squirtle the way I do. Dang, that means i need more work with timing. Oh well.

As for Diddy, projectiles are key. He has a great air game, which means you shouldn't be so keen on fighting as aggressively in the air as you are against other characters. Get his percentages up with bombs and 'rangs. That will force him to approach you, considering that bananas only go so far, and your projectiles shoot through his peanuts (literally). Then either get on top of him if he's coming on the ground, or hit him with a nice Usmash if he comes from above.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
I think that Diddy kong is much much better than toon link
For one they over powered toon link and yes diddy kong is really strong but no where as strong as toon link
i agree with you, toon link is totally overpowered! Toon Link is stronger than Link (WTF?) Link is older and thus should be stronger than toon link...but whatever i hate toon link!:mad::mad: Diddy kong is way cooler!

Top Bottom