• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Matchup Advice Thread

MJG

Smash Hero
Alright I'm finally posting my match up against a DK player

First off, I want to explain what advantages you have. Unlike DK you have projectiles that you can use at mid/long range. You are also faster than DK with most (if not all) of your moves. You have a very good air game against a DK player. Finally, you have a very good recovery.

Now when the match starts, almost every DK player will stt by charging up their punch. Your job is to stop it. This is where your projectiles come in handy. If DK is hit anytime charging his punch, he will have to start over. Even if his punch is charged all the way up, don't worry. He still has to catch you in order to hit you. If you know the basics about dodging and rolling, you should be able to avoid the attack, but DK has a move that stops you in your tracks if you're hit. If you are hit by DK's headbut, he has the change to hit you with a charged up punch, but if your % is below around 30 or 40 you should be able to get out of it before it lands. On the flipside, if your % is around 70% or above, you WILL lose a life unless you're lucky. In order to avoid any of this, your TL must be Agile. Another move you might want to watch out for is DK's Ground Pound. If hit, you will launch into the air above DK which gives DK a change to Up Smash you. You may be thinking "Time for a Down Air", that also probably what the DK player wll think. While the DAir move has some power to t, it's predictable. Chances are the DK player will roll/dodge and if they have a charged up punch, they will hit you with it.

Now I will tell you what you should when facing a DK player. Like I said your projectiles come in handy since DK doesn;t have any. This is a good way to get DK's % up without having to get close to him. While DK does have some dangerous moves in close combat, don't be afraid to get in close for a hit. Your speed is the advantage here. Use it. Your grappling hook is also an advantage because you can grab DK at a longer range, but the flipside is that if you miss you're vunerable for 2 seconds. Your hook is not only for grabbing though. You can also use it for a teather recovery if your opponent is waiting for you at the edge. Now we need to get into TL's air game. Your air game is just amazing. You can air juggle him to keep him in the air and keep landing easy hits on him. This is also a place where you can KO DK with either your Sideairs. I would reccomend only using TL's Dair if you know it's going to it. Reason being is if you miss, when you hit the ground, you're vunerable for 2 seconds and if you don't hit any ground at all, you lose a life.

I don't know if I should add more or not or if I should make things more clear. This is really the 1st time I'e done something like this.
I agree with pretty much everything you said here.

Something that should be noted is that a lot of DK players like to do b reversals with their Donkey Kong Punch and they like to do it as they are about to land obviously. It is not a move you should be trying to shield and it has invincibility....so just watch out.

NH Cody

Smash Champion
One thing I'd like to mention about the DK matchup (I know I'm not assigned to DK, so I'll just mention this one bit of info): it's really important to cover the edge with projectiles when recovering. Otherwise the DK will just ledge drop up-B and he'll edgehog you, or gimp you with bair. Failing to do this will cost you stocks. Or lots of stocks if you're playing Will without knowing this >_<

NearZzz

Smash Lord
Can you try not to be an *** PJ?
You know it and i know it.

Hey guys i have exp with my sisters zelda lemme tell you how to beat her.

avoid her moves, we're faster, di smashes and use projectiles.

If you're gonna apply to someplace than have the mu knowledge to back up whatever you apply to. Instead of just stating the obvious tell us how to kill him, when to kill, what we should be doing camping/aggroing and ect

and wtf is sideair.

I'm just frustrated sorry.

NearZzz

Smash Lord
That's bull ****^

Don't push new (or even old) people away from our boards.
Not pushing.

People need to realize that it's 2011 and that they're gonna need to be more specific about things.

NearZzz

Smash Lord
u place the same as u always have ever. right behind the same people. im waitn for that 1 day u make an upset. thats all
No. I used to never place top ten i just recently climbed into placing top 5 and haven't not placed top 5 since than. Say make it an upset don't be an ******* about it lol

army man

Smash Ace
i'm dissapointed, aren't the toon links supposed to be a team or something. shouldn't we be talking matchups instead of the crap we have been? :( not everyone i've noticed has been participating in this stuff though, for those who have, change your attitude. this isn't a trolling thread, it's a matchup thread

NearZzz

Smash Lord
haha i was gonna say that <3.

Yeah army man we all troll each other and stuff but its justfor laughs at the end of the day it's all love and helping one another get better! I personally insult people to make them want to get better.

NearZzz

Smash Lord
put me next to.

wario
sheik
sonic
snake
pit
lucario
diddy
yoshi
olimar
falco

jp tho

NearZzz

Smash Lord
...proof would be helpful xD
wario MALCOLM
sheik kilik tree tutu
sonic espy
snake razer
pit esca
lucario trela rockettrainer
diddy gnes fliphop dao
yoshi slush yosh polt
olimar zori denti
falco ozz gnes blood c

Ic0slay3r

Smash Apprentice
I have a few question about the Olimar match-up:

What are the best stages to take oli? what are the stages to avoid? and why. I usually go Smashville, cause the moving platform helps with my camping and I try to avid Halbert he can kill me very fast there and I hate it when people camp me below a platform.

Some tips against wario and GaW would be nice.

Ps. Twink I would like to see you beat Yubi on a full set, cause winning once every 15 games doesn't mean that you can beat him ;)

MJG

Smash Hero
The stage choice is dependent on the olimars play style. If they take advantage of platforms during the match, then try to take them to a neutral that will aid you. Stuff like that

Avoid Halberd (Die Early), Lylat and YI (Utilizes platforms well in this MU).

links24

Smash Ace
Oli is a ***** I can't use bombs at all so I change it up and start spamming 'rang lol it works then again I don't really get the mu a lot so ummm don't really pay attention to me...........

:phone:

MJG

Smash Hero
lylat and YI are good against olimar jus because u can camp near the ledges and get a dsmash off for free death
I don't really agree with this tbh. If an olimar has ever been down smashed by a TL main, they will realize that they shouldn't go near the ledge under 25% (the percentage doesn't matter on YI). There are better stages to fight olimar on.

MJG

Smash Hero
I mean, you can fight olimar on a stage with a platform. Lylat and YI aren't preferable IMO because if an olimar plays the stage out correctly on lylat, he just has to run underneath the platforms while shutting down virtually any approaching methods that we have to our disposal. YI is also not good because the stage size and the platform in the middle of the stage really hinders are ability to attack olimar safely (just like on lylat).

A stage like BF isn't bad but olimar can still abuse some of the same things with the platforms on that stage. A lot of this comes from my experience with playing with my crewmates olimar. We have played @ least 20 times in tournament now and that match is just dry lmao...

KT Kasrani

Smash Champion
its a preference. playin olimar is really gay and changes our whole playstyle. so i guess its watever u feel comfortable with.

i lik havin the option of always bein able to get that dumb kill if they mess up or somethin

Delfino is my usual counterpick for everything, but I hear that Olimar plucks good Pikmin from that stage. :/

Clownbaby

Smash Apprentice
I was hoping to get a little advice about pit and shiek. Mostly pit, I'm having trouble getting my moves out first in the air, do I need to go exclusively bair more Nair to keep space? I've noticed dair is more effective than usual against mk (bad mk anyway) hold true with pit? Any tips are appreciated

:phone:

Top Bottom