• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Team Pairings

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
(C). "ur" is not a word, however, "your" is.
Actually, it's supposed to be "you're" in that sentence.

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
Good point, however, that still does not take away from the fact that 'your' is a word.

I know, and that's a very good idea. I just posted that to stop people from going:

"Team with MK
/thread"

And also, we are a long way away from evaluating every character thoroughly.
Agreed, also, at a quick, glance, I think maybe snake could also prove just as effective, if not more effective, as a teammate for Tink than MK.

Power of Slash

Smash Ace
hmm... If folks don't mind doing so, I don't mean to just chirp in without contributing everything(which is what I'm doing... but... I'm being polite about it. .-.)

Could someone evaluate how a TL/Diddy team stacks up, what should be expected of the TL, etc.

I'm highly curious, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around it much, since... idk how Diddy works in teams tbh.

Gnes

Smash Master
Few things wrong with this:

(A). It isn't a solid forty percent, and it varies based on evryone's stock, not just your teammates. The actual percent is based off of complex mathematics that can be found here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=253229
(B). Lucario is not a horrible stock tank, he is an above average stock tank due to his weight/DI/Momentum canceling/Above average recovery. Lucario is a horrible "agressor" due to his lack of approaches however.
(C). "ur" is not a word, however, "your" is.
Ahh sorry thats what I meant. And many lucario have mains have told me its basically 40%. Secondly, the point in me saying he's a horrible stock tank is that as he stock tanks he's getting weaker, being unable to deal out as much damage or kill. So its not a position that suits him well. Third, Lucario's recovery is bad...there's no way around that but he does live long because of his good horizontal resistance.

Lastly, when smash becomes a grammar-based game, ill worry about spell checking my post. Until then, UR out of luck.

LOL i was gonna correct his post but I'm not THAT petty. Go Sasuke :p

hmm... If folks don't mind doing so, I don't mean to just chirp in without contributing everything(which is what I'm doing... but... I'm being polite about it. .-.)

Could someone evaluate how a TL/Diddy team stacks up, what should be expected of the TL, etc.

I'm highly curious, but I haven't been able to wrap my head around it much, since... idk how Diddy works in teams tbh.
TL and diddy essentially play the same role in teams so its kind of difficult to say who does what when u put them together. IMO its alot better for diddy to be the aggressor and toon link be the support considering diddy has better aggressive options in teams. If your teaming with a diddy you need to learn how to coordinate your "camp". It'll force the other team to approach you and lead into some awesome things. I think next time me and jerm team we'll do pretty well.

Alfa

Smash Apprentice

I think I remember being told that Diddy isn't very good in teams due to being unable to get his nana game working properly, although I think, with Toon Link on his team he would be able to get them out easier due to Toon Link just pressuring with projectiles. The team might not be too bad, since although Diddy controls the ground with nanas, Toon Link is able to stay in the air without much difficulty. Although the team lacks 'the wall' that Bowser/Tink have, they can still either camp heaps, capitalizing on opportunities presented by nanas, or just jump in there and combo them with both Toon Link and Diddy's aerials, and occasionally ground moves. Unfortunately, the team has a few problems, killing being the most obvious one, but with the opportunities presented by both character's projectiles, it is less of a problem then you would first think. Stage wise, FD and smashville are good stages due to the space offered for both character's projectiles, however, if you are going for the combo/rage stratergy, then Yoshi's/BF may be more appropriate.

Overall, this team is alright, but with enough team work and coordination, can become very good with all the team combo possibilities offered. However, like G&W/Tink, MK can cause a lot of trouble for this team. The main idea behind this team is that Toon Link's attacks can be used to create opportunities for Diddy to get his nanas, which are a large part of the MK/Diddy matchup, however, due to the pressure MK can apply, and the how he can beat Toon Link fairly easily, it can be hard for Diddy to find opportunities to get nanas, and even harder to find opportunites to use them in. Without nanas, that matchup is no longer 50/50, thus proving that MK can cause huge problems for this team.

So, same as the G&W/Tink team, fairly solid, can work well together, and then MK comes and f***s everything up.

(I originally intended to write/type a short paragraph on this, I just ended up doing quite a bit more, so I might as well say that my Diddy Kong experience extends to occasionly playing (or frequently watching him win tournaments) Tibs, the couple of months my friend used Diddy Kong (oh god that sucked), and matches against Khoa's Diddy, so this is mostly theorycraft).

LOL i was gonna correct his post but I'm not THAT petty. Go Sasuke :p
I feel like an a**hole now...sorry

Popcornio

Smash Apprentice
With the whole Toon Link + Diddy Kong pairing, I've noticed the following.

- Toon Link should be the supporter, throwing bombs/rangs from a distance to pressure and allow Diddy to pull on his 'naners.
- Diddy is going to be the aggressor, with his great ground game.

Pros:
1) 'naners: They help set up a lot of kills for both Diddy and Tink. Generally, I try to let Diddy have the priority on the 'naners (by not picking them up/throwing them) so he can continue his ground game easier because we have a horrid dash attack. However, they can be used against you and sometimes you find yourself slipping on these often.
2) Bombs: ^, They are also great for helping your partner out of combos from a distance because of there great blast radius. Use these very frequently.
3) Air/Ground Combination: It is a lot easier to control the stage with a character that excels in the air (Tink) and one on the ground (Diddy).

Cons:
1) Light: Both characters are on the lighter end, but with proper DI/Momentum Canceling, both characters can live to decent precentages.
2) Kill Options: By themselfs, both characters have limit kill options/setups, but with the added assistance of bombs and 'naners, it is much easier to land those kill moves. Working with your partner is the key to setting up kill opportunities.
3) MK Disadvantage: MK is MK.

Overall:
This is probably one if the funner team pairings I have gotten to play with and they seem to do very well against most teams that aren't MK/MK. For stage options, I would go with flat and big stages like Final Destination and Pokemon Stadium 1. Smashville can also allow for pretty nice camping with the floating platform.

That's all I have for now, take what you want from it.

VibeSlyph

Smash Ace
Well what would the deal be with TL + DDD?

I'd imagine it being ****, considering they are both support players.

Also, TL + Wario, might not be the most common team, but i'm just interested in how it'd work out.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Weird, I don't remember this thread being made.

DragoMaster

Smash Rookie
I don't suppose the advice here could be used in 2 v 2 matches with team attack ON, right?
I never got used to team attack. I always hit my teammate, and it aggravates me beyond belief. I don't however, like the spamming that team attack off allows.
Sorry..got off topic xD

MaskedAvnger

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know this thread existed. Hm. But yes, the advice in here should be considered with team attack set to on, as per SBR rules. and yeah, it makes it kinda annoying when you end up hitting your teammate, but it's something you have to work through, or team with lucario when they won't mind take a couple extra damage points.

Top Bottom