• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Best Games of 2008!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashbot226

Smash Master
5. Metal Slug 7
While this may be an unpopular choice, the fact that 90% of you don't know about the best run and gun series ever is no skin off my nose, so to hell with you all. Expanding upon the formula introduced in Metal Slug 6 which(finally!) created gameplay differences between the characters, the new levels and vehicles plus the return of Metal Slug X's Combat School make this the best DS game of the year. Suck it, Chrono Trigger.[/img]

WHAT. THEY RELEASED #7?!? Be right back.....

4. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King
This is an expansion to the undisputed best mumorpuger of all time. 'Nuff said. However, for the sake of sounding like a snooty little brat, I'll continue. The new area of Northrend, complete with new dungeons, as well as the new profession(inscription) and the new class(death knights, also known as "holy crap that's metal") make this first endgame expansion for World of Warcraft a profound and welcome addition to cement the game's status as the best mumorpuger ever, with no competition in sight.
IT's also the only truly GOOD MMORPG of all time- I was a Level 60 or so Tauren Warrior before I decided to find a way to unglue my butt to the seat. I still think Burning Crusade was the better expansion...

3. Fable II
I've said a lot about how awesome this game is, but I haven't said anything about it(or anything about anything, for that matter) on Smashboards for several months, so here I go. The fantasy-based life simulator is full of places to go, things to do, and people to do. The story, while anticlimactic at the end, has some very endearing characters, especially the insufferably charming monk-turned-***-whooper known only as 'Hammer.' The combat is interesting and flexible, and the roleplaying elements are profound and significant. Most importantly, the game is fun, which separates it from piles of arthouse crap that try to pass themselves off as video games.
Bah, any self-respecting RPG fan could argue Fallout 3 was better. Sure, they may be different and I've never even PLAYED Fable 2, but still- I played Fallout 3. That is some pretty divine sh*t.

2. Super Street Fighter II Turbo: HD Remix
A rehash of the best fighting game ever, fine-tuned and polished to a shine for optimum tournament play? Yes please! While you may not like it, this game will warp the American fighting game scene for years to come, and the top players will be heroes of epic proportions. The best fighting game of the year(for the curious, I give the silver medal to Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe and tell Soulcalibur IV to eat a pen0r) without doubt, there's nothing that can top this...or is there?
I must inform you that MK Vs. DCU was without a doubt my least favorite 3-D MK game- SC4 was YARDS better.

And SF2: HDR was great- never had I actually TEARED at the sight of an HD T. Hawk. But ST4 will still beat it.

1. LittleBigPlanet
Don't let the disappointing sales figures fool you. This was the best game of 2008 without question, and the killer app that the Playstation 3 needs to stand out as a system. I may be biased due to my obsession with 2-D platformers, but this game alone made the PS3 worth buying for thousands of people. No other game, not even the overhyped and hilariously disappointing Metal Gear Solid 4, can make that claim, and that's a fact. LittleBigPlanet, unlike the other games that were released in 2008, has the potential to be more than a game. If it plays its cards right, this game will become a cultural phenomenon.
WHAT
THE
HELL?!?

1. LittleBigPlanet was great, no doubt about it, but calling it the killer app, the best PS3 game of '08, let alone OVERALL game, the only reason to get a PS3, and a PHENOM is just ridiculous.

Now I know this is YOUR opinion, but this is MY opinion:

LBG cannot hold the WAX of the giant orchestra candle that is MGS4. Calling it disappointing and overhyped is as big of a mistake as telling Mr. T his mohawk makes him look fat.

MGS4 was: THE BEST. PS3 GAME. TO DATE. No other game has the pure entertainment value as that game and to just dismiss it as overhyped?

Sir, as a fellow platform gamer, I respect your opinion- but I also have my qualms.

----------------

Bioshock is STILL the best game ever.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Morrowind was the last RPG they released. Oblivion is an action/adventure game with watered down RPG elements that have a fairly minimal impact on gameplay. Fallout 3 is an FPS (a bad one at that) and an insult to the Fallout series.

smashbot226

Smash Master
Morrowind was the last RPG they released. Oblivion is an action/adventure game with watered down RPG elements that have a fairly minimal impact on gameplay. Fallout 3 is an FPS (a bad one at that) and an insult to the Fallout series.
Man, Fallout 3 may have been insulting to the BAWWWWWWING fans of the series, but its a commercial and entertaining success.

And I wouldn't exactly call it a bad RPG. Just a "Frankenstein" if you will.

Wolfgang457

Smash Journeyman
5. Brawl- I simply can't not have Brawl on my list for the sheer amount of time I've invested in it while playing with friend. Heck a few days ago I even unlocked the 4,999 matches bit.

4. Castlevania: Order of Ecclessia- I'm a big CV fan and to me this is my current favorite CV game. The glyph system was interesting in how you could use them with some interesting combinations. Overall it definitely improved over the previous soul system in the sense that most glyphs were useful whereas in DoS and AoS most were useless.

3. Bangai-O Spirits- I'm a big Treasure fan so seeing them make another portable action game I was sure to scoop this one up. I wasn't disappointed at all, it's my current favorite action title on the DS.

2. Tales of Destiny Remake PS2- My friend imported this game and to celebrate we played through the original PSX game so we could get a grasp on the story without using a translation guide. Unfortunately the PSX version has aged horribly and suffered from many terrible design choices. On the other hand though when his import copy came in we played it and it's actually one of the most brilliant RPGs I've ever played. Fancy that. Not to mention that the game is really hard in a well designed manner, none of that Hard and Unknown Mode BS where things are just ********.

1. Persona 4- I like JRPGs, Adventure games, Monster collecting, and Strategy. This game blends them all plus sim-life elements into one of if not my favorite RPG of all time. Persona 3 was great but 4 just clicked with me better in pretty much every possible way (except the lack of Koromaru ;_;). The characters and writing in this game are fantastic and go alongside a great localization. The combat is also rare for an RPG in the sense that it's actually strategic and challenging while still being turn-based. I've played strategy games FAR easier than this game. If you're in the market for an original RPG definately take a good look at this game.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Man, Fallout 3 may have been insulting to the BAWWWWWWING fans of the series, but its a commercial and entertaining success.

And I wouldn't exactly call it a bad RPG. Just a "Frankenstein" if you will.
It may have been a commercial and entertaining sucess to some, but the game lacks polish. In fact it almost feels like what they released was unfinished in a lot of ways. And I would call it a bad RPG, seeing how you will always end up killing your way through the game, regardless of if you try and play a diplomat or a gunslinger. The game just doesn't really allow for you to make any real meaningful decisions or change anything drastically that the game doesn't want you to change. Sure, you can blow up Megaton. Why the hell doesn't this affect the apparently nonexistent capital wasteland trade network? I would assume that there would have to be one, it's ridiculous to think that these isolated pockets of civilization could survive with no outside contact, short of something like Vault City. Where are the farms? How the hell are they getting food? Why does nobody mention the fact that Megaton was just wiped off the face of the map? Why whenever I ask if anyone's seen my dad and all the description I give is "a middle-aged guy", everyone instantly knows what I'm talking about?

This game has a crapton of problems, and a complete lack of polish.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Alright, boys and girls. Ears open. Mouths shut. Butts down. Listen the hell up.

I'll have you know that Metal Gear Solid 4 is something that only the most devout of Metal Gear fans can even enjoy. To anyone else, it's a pretentious, self-insisting, hackneyed, repetitive, boring forty-hour movie with some brief(we're talking five minutes) sections of interactivity. Metal Gear Online was pretty bacon though.
Bioshock had a stellar narrative, but you want that from an adventure game or a roleplaying game, not a shooter. Gameplay-wise, Bioshock was mediocre at best.
Fallout 3 was a poor follow-up to Fallout 2 that tamed its controversy in all the ways that it shouldn't. Is it fun? Sure. Is Fallout 2 better? You bet your buns. Is Fable II better? In every way imaginable.
Super Metroid is the best game ever.

Oh, and I forgot to dish out my honorable mention awards. These games were just barely shy of the brass ring. *inhales deeply*
Street Fighter IV, Soulcalibur IV, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, Portal: Still Alive, Braid, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, Metal Gear Online, Rock Band 2, Dead Space, WWE Smackdown vs. RAW 2009, Gears of War 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Castle Crashers, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Boom Blox, Dr. Mario: Online Rx, Sam & Max: Season Two, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, and Left 4 Dead, this one's for you.
*pops a cork off a champagne bottle*

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Alright, boys and girls. Ears open. Mouths shut. Butts down. Listen the hell up.

I'll have you know that Metal Gear Solid 4 is something that only the most devout of Metal Gear fans can even enjoy. To anyone else, it's a pretentious, self-insisting, hackneyed, repetitive, boring forty-hour movie with some brief(we're talking five minutes) sections of interactivity. Metal Gear Online was pretty bacon though.
Bioshock had a stellar narrative, but you want that from an adventure game or a roleplaying game, not a shooter. Gameplay-wise, Bioshock was mediocre at best.
Fallout 3 was a poor follow-up to Fallout 2 that tamed its controversy in all the ways that it shouldn't. Is it fun? Sure. Is Fallout 2 better? You bet your buns. Is Fable II better? In every way imaginable.
Super Metroid is the best game ever.

Oh, and I forgot to dish out my honorable mention awards. These games were just barely shy of the brass ring. *inhales deeply*
Street Fighter IV, Soulcalibur IV, Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe, Portal: Still Alive, Braid, Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, Metal Gear Online, Rock Band 2, Dead Space, WWE Smackdown vs. RAW 2009, Gears of War 2, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Castle Crashers, Bionic Commando Rearmed, Boom Blox, Dr. Mario: Online Rx, Sam & Max: Season Two, Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, and Left 4 Dead, this one's for you.
*pops a cork off a champagne bottle*
Will you marry me?

Seriously though, I may not have agreed with everything you said, but your post is just so full of win.

Lovely

Smash Lord
My List:

1) Kirby Super Star Ultra

2) Pokemon Platnum

3) Great Melee Smash Brothers X, (or Super Smash Bros. Brawl from NA)

4) Little Big Planet

5) Command & Conquer Red Alert 3

Others that I love, (not in order): Wario Land Shake It, Animal Crossing City Folk's, Metal Gear Solid 4, Wrold of Goo, Dr. Mario Online RX, Gear's of War 2.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Wow. Just barely into the first page and already we have arrogant idiots dissing others because said others enjoyed Brawl.

God forbid if someone likes the game. >_>

Hay guyz, to whoever said they like the new Guitar Hero release this year. Your opinions aren't valid to me because I'm a douche. *rolls eyes*

Anyway human arrogance aside, I haven't played any 2008 release game long enough to make a judgement. Ask me again in 6 months when I get more games that were release in 2008. =/

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Here on out, anyone bashing another person's list will be warned.

My list:

1. Grand Theft Auto 4 - I LOVE sandbox games. . . The game took everything that was great about the previous three games and made it ten times better. The physics engine alone made this game a must buy.
2. LittleBigPlanet - I LOVE THIS GAME. It's fun to play, it's interesting, and it's quite challenging at times. This game showed Spore everything it should have done.
3. Resistance 2 - Awesome sequel to a great WWII game.
4. Left4Dead - This game is the most fun I've ever had online. Period.

That's about all I can think of.

smashbot226

Smash Master
1. GTA 4 was okay.

2. LBP... it's special. I'm not sure which niche it's in.

3. Hmm, I tried it, it was fun. Multiplayer's okay, but I personally prefer GoW2.

4. Perfection 117: My Gamertag. Add me, except I got RRoD.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Here on out, anyone bashing another person's list will be warned.
It's called "reading." Try to do that before making yourself look like an ***.

Illomatic

Smash Apprentice
1. GTA IV
2. Super Smash Bros Brawl
3. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots
4. Halo 3
5. Halo 3
i've been playin halo 3 since i first got it in dec 2007 for Christmas, i couldnt really think of any other games so i put it up there twice, since i play it the mos and its the best :chuckle:
and i didnt own MGS4 though i played a lot at my friends house and it was amazing
GTA and Brawl...well i have them both, and they are both excellent great pieces of work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom