• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Guitar Solos?

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
Don't get confused, this is not the "best guitar solos ever" thread. I'm asking for your personal favorites. You don't have to rank them in any particular order.

List them as Artist - Song - Guitarist

Here's mine, in no real order:

1. Metallica - Master of Puppets (middle section) - Kirk Hammet

I seriously love this solo so much that I sometimes just skip to only that part of the song to hear it. Master of Puppets is an awesome song, but that solo is supreme. While it may not be the most challenging solo, it's rhythmic and melodic to the max.

2. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven - Jimmy Page
When I first heard this solo, it gave me chills, and that's no joke. Some things just hit you like a brick the first time you hear them. The song is worth the 8 minutes, because the build up makes you anticipate the solo even more. Truly a brilliant song and solo with a lot of soul in there.

3. Buckethead - Ghost - Buckethead
Lesser known, but still relevant. This piece really captures its title like no other. Buckethead does an amazing job of portraying a scene without lyrics or words...just a title. This piece is also a nice step away from his super-shreding, and a little more on the sentimental and creative side.

4. Godsmack - Voices - Tony Rombola
This solo is short, but it's effective. I think I just appreciate the solo so much because the song is so simple but effective as well. The song just hit home for me the first time I heard it, and the solo works especially well.

5. Alice in Chains - Get Born Again - Jerry Cantrell
I like this one because it's a careful mix of shred with nice note placement. It's a really nice build up to those screeching final notes of the solo, then the song just resumes as if nothing happened. Couldn't be better.

Now it's your turn. Enlighten us.

Yaya

Smash Champion
In no order:

1. Blackened by Metallica: Dude, this solo is just crazy.

2. Consant Motion by Dream Theater, I just love this solo, and the synth solo right after it is kickass too.

3. Painkiller by Judas Priest: Both solo's are nothing short of amazing, classic metal right there

4. Screaming for Vengeance by Judas Priest: Another Orgasmic solo by Judas.

5. Soothsayer by Buckethead: Solo 1 and 2: Buckethead proves to us here that at some points, hammering on and pulling off random frets can sound friggin' awesome.

I don't really know the names of the guitarists.

Yaya

Smash Champion
Dragonforce's music is sped up via studio, go see them live, they bloody suck.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm not really a big fan of guitar solos, but I do love the sound of heavy metal guitar, and by that I am referring to Battlefield's Alternate theme from Melee

Super Angry Luigi

Smash Apprentice
Ok here's my top 5 favorite guitar solos:

1. Green Day - Dry Ice - Billie Joe Armstrong
2. Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends - Billie Joe Armstrong
3. Green Day - American Idiot - Billie Joe Armstrong
4. Green Day - 1,000 Hours - Billie Joe Armstong
5. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Kurt Cobain

Pengie

Smash Lord
In no particular order

Jump in the Fire- Metallica: The ending of the song, starting from 3:43 till the end of the song is incredible.

Hangar 18- Megadeth: All 11 guitar solos are amazing so I'll just put the whole song.

Angel of Death- Slayer: The guitars from King and Hanneman literally like sound insane cries.

Wake Up Dead- Megadeth: The three solos in this song gave goosebumps the first time I heard them.

Metal Militia- Metallica: Really captures the raw feeling of Thrash Metal.

Bonus: Bass Solo- (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth- Cliff Burton: 4 minute showcase of one of the best bass players I've ever heard.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Poison Was the Cure - Megadeth
Wasted Years - Iron Maiden
Angel Of Death - Slayer
Domination - Pantera
Do or Die - Testament

They're certainly not the best though. I'll post other ones later.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Don't get confused, this is not the "best guitar solos ever" thread. I'm asking for your personal favorites. You don't have to rank them in any particular order.

List them as Artist - Song - Guitarist

Here's mine, in no real order:

1. Metallica - Master of Puppets (middle section) - Kirk Hammet

I seriously love this solo so much that I sometimes just skip to only that part of the song to hear it. Master of Puppets is an awesome song, but that solo is supreme. While it may not be the most challenging solo, it's rhythmic and melodic to the max.

2. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven - Jimmy Page
When I first heard this solo, it gave me chills, and that's no joke. Some things just hit you like a brick the first time you hear them. The song is worth the 8 minutes, because the build up makes you anticipate the solo even more. Truly a brilliant song and solo with a lot of soul in there.

Lesser known, but still relevant. This piece really captures its title like no other. Buckethead does an amazing job of portraying a scene without lyrics or words...just a title. This piece is also a nice step away from his super-shreding, and a little more on the sentimental and creative side.

4. Godsmack - Voices - Tony Rombola
This solo is short, but it's effective. I think I just appreciate the solo so much because the song is so simple but effective as well. The song just hit home for me the first time I heard it, and the solo works especially well.

5. Alice in Chains - Get Born Again - Jerry Cantrell
I like this one because it's a careful mix of shred with nice note placement. It's a really nice build up to those screeching final notes of the solo, then the song just resumes as if nothing happened. Couldn't be better.

Now it's your turn. Enlighten us.
In no order:

1. Blackened by Metallica: Dude, this solo is just crazy.

2. Consant Motion by Dream Theater, I just love this solo, and the synth solo right after it is kickass too.

3. Painkiller by Judas Priest: Both solo's are nothing short of amazing, classic metal right there

4. Screaming for Vengeance by Judas Priest: Another Orgasmic solo by Judas.

5. Soothsayer by Buckegthead: Solo 1 and 2: Buckethead proves to us here that at some points, hammering on and pulling off random frets can sound friggin' awesome.

I don't really know the names of the guitarists.
The fact that you guys mentioned Metallica first makes my day. ^_^

I'll come back and post my solos later. Gonna listen to some tunes and figure out what my favorites are.

D

Deleted member

Led Zeppelin--"Stairway to Heaven"
Van Halen--"Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love"
Jimi Hendrix--"Star Spangled Banner"
Styx--"Renegade"
Lynyrd Skynyrd--"Free Bird"

Psychoace

Smash Champion
In no particular order

Jump in the Fire- Metallica: The ending of the song, starting from 3:43 till the end of the song is incredible.

Hangar 18- Megadeth: All 11 guitar solos are amazing so I'll just put the whole song.

Angel of Death- Slayer: The guitars from King and Hanneman literally like sound insane cries.

Wake Up Dead- Megadeth: The three solos in this song gave goosebumps the first time I heard them.

Metal Militia- Metallica: Really captures the raw feeling of Thrash Metal.

Bonus: Bass Solo- (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth- Cliff Burton: 4 minute showcase of one of the best bass players I've ever heard.

THIS TIMES A MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! R.I.P. Cliff

but I would also have to add in Cemetary gates by Pantera

Trendkill

Smash Rookie
Ok here's my top 5 favorite guitar solos:

1. Green Day - Dry Ice - Billie Joe Armstrong
2. Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends - Billie Joe Armstrong
3. Green Day - American Idiot - Billie Joe Armstrong
4. Green Day - 1,000 Hours - Billie Joe Armstong
5. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - Kurt Cobain
haha you can't be serious?

JLynn943

Smash Ace
definitely subject to change, but here are mine at the moment, in no particular order (except the first one):

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Turn It Again

Alter Bridge - Rise Today (Mark Tremonti is seriously under rated imo)

Outlaws - Green Grass and High Tides

Oasis - Champgane Supernova (I'm sure it's not that technically impressive, but I love it)

Audioslave - Getaway Car

I'm not really that into metal/heavy metal, hence the lack of it

Spire

III
BRoomer
Couldn't have said it any better. The beauty of Buckethead is that he is not only the best shredder ever, but that he can convey many an emotion through his calmer pieces. He tells stories with his guitar so well.

The guitar solo at the end of Sketches of Winkle, by Ween, is the brownest thing ever farted out by the genius of Deaner.

leviathan_

Smash Journeyman
In no particular order:

Judas Priest - Ram It Down
Buckethead - Soothsayer
Iron Maiden - Dance Of Death
Paul Gilbert - Metal Dog

..and of course, Buckethead - Nottingham Lace :)

Spire

III
BRoomer
Anything by Larry Lalonde

underrated imo
You made my week.

Since a number of you have posted your favorite Buckethead moments, I'll go ahead and post mine:

Plastination Station and Sketches of Spain

Plastination Station continues the story of Inbred Mountain, where the summit has been reached. It creates an oddly comfortable environment, only provided by the foreboding fear or not only the next track, but the looping; the repeating process of the album, as this nightmare happens again and again. Wonderful, wonderful piece.

Sketches of Spain is a piece that I cannot put into words, and it would be best for me to leave it at that.

The Falconator

Smash Cadet
Anything by Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Cannibal Corpse, Running Wild...

I can't really pick, because solo's are hard to pick from. I'm not saying DragonForce, don't worry... I'm no poser.;)

Wuss

Smash Champion
wow, you guys have bad taste in guitar solos.

1. Time - Pink Floyd (David Gilmour)
2. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page)
3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (David Gilmour)
4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (Brian May)
5. Eruption - Eddie Van Halen

yea, i don't care what you say, Time is a freaking great guitar solo. You guys don't seem to know waht makes a good guitar solo. When I listen to Time, my gut wrenches, cause David Gilmour legitimately pours his heart out into that guitar for that minute or two.

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
Anything by Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Cannibal Corpse, Running Wild...

I can't really pick, because solo's are hard to pick from. I'm not saying DragonForce, don't worry... I'm no poser.;)
D*** right. Rock the **** on. \m/

C'mon though, CC solos aren't that good.

D

Deleted member

2. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin (Jimmy Page)
3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd (David Gilmour)
4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (Brian May)
These all win. Stairway is my favorite song of all time, including the solo. I got The Wall the other day, so I'm here to confirm the Comfortably Numb solo to be good. :) And Bohemian Rhapsody is my favorite Queen song. But I have to disagree on:

5. Eruption - Eddie Van Halen
The Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love solo(s) from the same album is/are much better, even despite the fact that it is/they are shorter.

Fish-E

Smash Rookie
1. Free Bird - Lynard Skynard
2. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin
3. Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
4. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen
5. Through The Fire and The flames - Dragonforce...

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
Why? What's wrong? :(
We already settled this in the other thread, man. I'm more black and thrash, I'm not into as many death bands (where I live was one of the major hubs for the rise of thrash in the US, so I've heard many more and grown accustomed to the like above others).

NeBz

Smash Journeyman
We already settled this in the other thread, man. I'm more black and thrash, I'm not into as many death bands (where I live was one of the major hubs for the rise of thrash in the US, so I've heard many more and grown accustomed to the like above others).
oic

Death > Black Metal though. :p

Top Bottom