• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Legend of Zelda Top 50 (3D) Zelda Dungeons of All Time

greatbernard

Smash Apprentice
I'll start the countdown bit by bit.

This list includes the 3D games, eight in total:
  • Ocarina of Time (OOT)
  • Majora's Mask (MM)
  • The Wind Waker (TWW)
  • Twilight Princess (TP)
  • Phantom Hourglass (PH)
  • Spirit Tracks (ST)
  • Skyward Sword (SS)
  • A Link Between Worlds (ALBW)
Factors included in the ranking:
  • Atmosphere: graphics and sound
  • Theme and/or story relevance
  • Enemies and bosses
  • Item and item usage
  • Intuitive level design
  • Complex puzzles
  • Cohesiveness

50. Thieves Hideout (ALBW)

The 50th slot is such a borderline case. This dungeon was short but it flowed really smoothly, made good use of the portrait mechanics in the game and had a fun boss.

49. Earth Temple (SS)

Rolling on that ball wasn't interesting enough to be the core concept of the dungeon and the bomb puzzles were pretty meh, but it had enough fun moments to be overall enjoyable.

48. Tower of the Gods (TWW)

It was just a series of simplistic block puzzles and blatantly obvious arrow puzzles. Meh final boss. This stays in the top 50 for its epic regale atmosphere.

47. Tower of Hera (ALBW)

Short but sweet. Ascending to the top with a variety of different hammer and wall puzzles. And some hidden areas too! I also want to give a shout out to Eastern Palace ; so nostalgic.

46. Forbidden Woods (TWW)

Had some nice platforming segments and really felt like a forest. Deku Leaf was a cool item and the boss was fun. It's a bit simplistic, but oh well.

45. Mutoh's Temple (PH)

Cool Egyptian theme, rigged with booby traps. Decent use of the hammer and puzzles. Cool giant final boss. Still super simplistic like the other PH dungeons, but interesting nonetheless.

44. Dragon Roost Cavern (TWW)

Pretty good tutorial dungeon. A bit monochromatic, but saving Valoo was really fun. I like the whole indoor-outdoor thing with dungeons.

43. Forest Temple (TP)

The most difficult complex tutorial dungeon in the series perhaps. Took me 3 hours to beat my first time as TP was my first Zelda game. In the end, it's still a standard dungeon that's a bit on the bland side. But props for challenging the player early on.

42. Temple of the Ocean Kings (PH)

Yes, yes, I know. But it was a new concept. It was challenging and it kicked my ass. Added some tense stealth too. It was overused, I agree, but I'd take a mixed bag that tries something new over something safe but boring.

41. Hyrule Castle (TP)

It was short and the final string of bosses was lacking, but that rainy day atmosphere is just really haunting. Had numerous puzzles that required your entire arsenal. Overall a good final test.

Last edited:

the8thark

Smash Lord
Is this list in your opinion or did you find the list somewhere?

Also ALBW, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks are not 3D Zelda games. They are top down like all the portable Zelda games (apart from Ocarina HD).

Last edited:
Top Bottom