• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top ten at Apex 2013 predictions.

KrazyKnux

Smash Lord
Yeah that was dumb. If scars pause interrupted the "flow" of the match, that entire dispute interrupted it even more -.-

shoutouts to SFAT for being classy.

edit: Yeah leffen was technically correct, it's just funny b/c he WOULD be the one to enforce it XD

Warhawk

Smash Lord
I mean its the rule, but if he had been so concerned with it he would have made sure pause was turned off before the match, he just jumped the chance for the nearly free win. That's one of those rules I don't like, I feel like if someone pauses worst case should be that the match has to be replayed with pausing off, its both party's fault for forgetting to turn pause off and its so easy to accidentally do in teams.

SFAT really handled the whole situation with class though so props to him.

Mahone

Smash Champion
i agree, the match should be restarted, but until they change the rules leffen shouldnt be called out for following them

one solution for the future i thought of is

team A- strike 1 stage
team B- turn pause off, ff on, timer on...... strike 2 stages
team A- strike 1 stage

Warhawk

Smash Lord
i agree, the match should be restarted, but until they change the rules leffen shouldnt be called out
I think the major reason people are going to call leffen out on it because he talks so big and claimed he could beat anyone for Apex, but then he needs to use a technicality to beat a team that otherwise was going to provide a pretty entertaining match for the fans (well actually the way it played out was probably more entertaining but for different reasons lol).

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I love how people are hating on Leffen for following the rules that are explicitly stated, and no one should have ANY questions about. Hint hint, if you break the rules, you suffer the consequence. Both teams should have made sure pause was turned off anyways, but since they didn't, this is the result.

Why do we still pretend that this community is at all interested in being competitive? Because clearly, when someone is booed for doing what they're allowed to do to win, we've left the harbor of "competitive gaming."

stelzig

Smash Lord
There's this thing called fair play. But indeed leffen had every right to do it yeah. I don't think anyone is saying what he did was against the rules or anything...

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Why is what he did not "fair play"? It's not against the rules, the option is available to both teams...where is it not fair?

stelzig

Smash Lord
Fair play always goes beyond the rules otherwise it would simply be against the rules... But as mahone said long dumb discussion and i'm not gonna go into it. I've been in far too many stupid discussions myself already.

Besides, I can't outrule I wouldn't have done it myself, lol.

leffen

Smash Champion
Id advise Scar not to spam pause if he doesnt want to face the consequenses.

Scar actually said." This NEVER happens in my country!" welll guess what... times are changing.
The whole venue hates me now, even though it was both me and ice who decided. Guess what, I dont givd a damn.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Yeah, you're right. It's not worth getting into. I just don't like how most people are being babies over it (not you, stelzig).

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Been sleeping too little last few night so accidentally... missed a few sets =).
Short explanation of what happened?

Also, you can never know how much it disturbed someone's "flow". That's why there's a rule that clearly decides the consequences beforehand so that we won't have to argue mid-match. The punishment might not be deserved in some minor cases, but it's not difficult to avoid in the first place so it's perfectly fine.

Id advise Scar not to spam pause if he doesnt want to face the consequenses.

Scar actually said." This NEVER happens in my country!" welll guess what... times are changing.
The whole venue hates me now, even though it was both me and ice who decided. Guess what, I dont givd a damn.
Lugn nu lille lulef, se till att vinna turren, men dra inte in is i det. Saftigt att du tryckte till jänkarrna dock.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Great sportsmanship by lille luleff. Atleast it's a good thing he cares so little he has to post about how he doesnt care that people hate him. Good thing he doesnt otherwise he'd be heartbroken over the amazing popularity and endless love for Mike Swaggar.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
Anyone who thinks leffen actually did anything wrong is ********. Rules are rules, you should follow them. Like for instance if you say you have to register before x date, you shouldn't expect the TO to extend it for you. That said, leffen was the one who said he was going to prove how good he really is at apex. Having to use a rule to get your opponent to lose shows that you're apparently not that good. He went into the tournament saying he was going to prove his skill, which he didn't. There is nothing wrong with playing to win, and he has no reason to be ashamed. But he also has no reason to say skill is what won him that match.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I love how people are hating on Leffen for following the rules that are explicitly stated, and no one should have ANY questions about. Hint hint, if you break the rules, you suffer the consequence. Both teams should have made sure pause was turned off anyways, but since they didn't, this is the result.

Why do we still pretend that this community is at all interested in being competitive? Because clearly, when someone is booed for doing what they're allowed to do to win, we've left the harbor of "competitive gaming."
Alright I was super pissed when leffen pulled that..but then I thought about what people would say if Scar pulled that on leffen. Yeah Scar is too classy to do that but everyone would have laughed at leffen and said he deserved to lose for pausing and on the other hand, could you imagine letting him play with no consequence and losing? So yeah, no hate for leffen from me.

I'm confused by the pause not being turned off though...everyone on stream was suiciding after hand jobs
warm ups

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
Anyone who thinks leffen actually did anything wrong is ********. Rules are rules, you should follow them. Like for instance if you say you have to register before x date, you shouldn't expect the TO to extend it for you. That said, leffen was the one who said he was going to prove how good he really is at apex. Having to use a rule to get your opponent to lose shows that you're apparently not that good. He went into the tournament saying he was going to prove his skill, which he didn't. There is nothing wrong with playing to win, and he has no reason to be ashamed. But he also has no reason to say skill is what won him that match.
this pretty much

rjgbadger

Banned via Warnings
leffen has said countless times that he was ready for apex 2013, and that this tournament would prove his top tier leveled skill

then he goes and does this scar thing

theres nothing illegal he did

theres also no honor

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
1. Armada/Mew2king
2. Hungrybox/Plup
3. PewPewU/Shroomed
4. DoH/Mango
5-6. Ice/Leffen, MacD/VanZ
7-8. Dr. PeePee/L0zR, Aza/Javi
9-12. Eggm/Kage, Hax/Westballz, Colbol/StriCNYN3, Bam/Vwins,
13-16. Alukard/DJ Nintendo, Dazwa/KevinM, Lovage/S2J, Frootloop/Kels

Mahone

Smash Champion
ahahha

i was just playing devil's advocate for the "honor" debate (which is meaningless so idk why i am talking about it but im bored)

actually it shouldnt be "honor", it should be "mango-ness" debate

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Still may have misunderstood the whole thing, but should we all hate M2K for enfording the counterpick rules and not letting HBox/Plup pick YS?
I mean, it's the rules, but what about honor?
It feels like this discussion only exists beceause it's leffen.

edit: And why not hate scar/whoever paused for their lack of honor in *maybe* (we can't know) thinking "I'll pause here to disrupt their flow, and hope are more honoable than me".
Hating on leffen here only encourages such behavior, giving people reason to try to cheat without consequences, knowing that their opponents have to choose to either let it go or being hated by the community.

Top Bottom