• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Tier Quality or Quantity in tournaments?

MorpheusVGX

Smash Journeyman
We often see top tier character at tournament finals. Why I want to ask is.. How many top tiers characters enter those tournaments? Are there many MKs, Snakes, Warios, DDDs? We don't usually know how many representatives of each character enter those tournaments. We only get the results and watch finals videos. What I want to say is.. Do they rank high in tournaments because of their character quality or there is also a high quantity of representatives competing? For example if I have a 50 player tournament, and 40 are C. Falcon, and 10 Snakes, and the finals are Snake vs Snake. That can tell us something about Snake quality. But If we have lets say 40 Snakes and 10 of any other character. And the finals are Snake vs Snake.. hmmm.. There isn't much to do.... The fact that many players won't have the guts to try to win with another character (this is a sad reality) and they will be using top tier characters don't really help to diversify the competition scene. And that's why I think Tier lists create a psychological effect that has a huge feedback. The "I cannot get farther with this character. This character is bad." (bad low tier character syndrome) vs "This character among the best, I only need to improve and I can win. The character is not bad, I am." (top tier character syndrome). So it ends in many players using top tiers in tournaments and ranking those characters even higher. What do you know and think about this? Can you get some numbers?

ftl

Smash Journeyman
The two affect each other though. People tend to choose a character that they play well with, and that will often end up being the high-tiers.

JackieRabbit5

Smash Journeyman
this is a really good point and says alot about tiers in general...

i'd like to think its mostly quantity because i'm optimistic and like to think any character has a chance and its more about the player's skill, but i would like to see some statistics on this

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
I think it's a combination of both, as in the last tourny I went to out of about 40 people there where about 10 G&W, 5 snakes, 10 MKs, and 10 marths.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've never seen a majority of any particular character I've been to. Most of the time, the reason top and high tier characters get to the top of the tourney is because they are so good. They are top tier because they are top tier.

Use plays into the character rankings, sure, and the tier list may end up being reflected in the rankings eventually, due to tier-whores. That's all part of the way things work. However, you can't go to a tournament and not see that despite a surprisingly great deal of character variety, only a few characters are really rising to the top consistently. That's a big part of what determines a tier list.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
too many dam MKs now, if u see anokous list hes got like 500 more points than snake now. wtf!

mostly its all because of a few things. obviously u want to use either A. the top characters or B. the character YOUR best with.

then factor in player skill and now many of those chars enter the tourny

ComeBack

Smash Rookie
Ya i was in a tournament a long time ago. All the characters there i faced were mostly ikes. I was the only different character. I'm mario, goon 4 life.
My secondary character is snake, but i rarely use him, i don't see the point of MK, he sucks when i use him,but gamers like you know how to play smart with him

but ya pretty glad i looked at this thread lol got some good points to it

Nintendevil

Smash Ace
At first I was surprised how much the tier list depended on tourney results and not the "facts" even if some of it was verry clear. Anyways, It's only the first version, and it will all get finished up in the end. I just think a lot of people are impatient. Now I think it's time to revise, though somethings gotta change eventually.

BladeRadio0

Smash Apprentice
A good point. I realize this; the reason of a tier being higher may involve the matter of more pro's playing as that character thus revealing more techniques, etc, as well as that others will see the skills exploited within that character and use them for that. I feel stupid stating this as now it seems obvious but i've never seen it elsewhere I may need to make a thread on this....

Top Bottom