• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Rules Questions for those in the know...

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I'm going to be hosting my own tourney for the first time in about a month, and I wanted to ask some seasoned vets on what's proper and what's not. Now, I realize this should probably be in the tournament section, and wouldn't blame a mod for moving it... but I was going to hold off and post my actual tourney info there when it's set in stone.

For the most part, I looked through several threads in the tourney forum, and built my rules around the examples I saw.

Most stuff is standard... 4 stock, 8 minutes, best two out of three (3 of 5 and 4 of 7 in the semi and finals, respectively). Dave's Stupid Rule, Slob picks...

Banned stages are...
* Icicle Mountain
* Hyrule Temple
* Brinstar Depths
* Fourside
* Flat Zone
* Great Bay
* Yoshi's Island (N64)

But now I have a few questions for you, the knowledgable ones:

One person I know seems convinced that real tournies don't allow switching between Zelda and Shiek during a match, because they're two seperate characters. I said the transformation is a B move, and we can't force people to not use a B move (if they're really going to use Zelda... uh...). I searched, and found nothing. Is he full of ****?

And now, before I start asking more dumb questions... I saw the ABC's of Tournament Hosting in the other forum, but is there a step-by-step guide available anywhere with alot of detail? I could really use the help.

Thanks, I'll be around to grovel, unless I get locked. :p

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
The zelda guy is an idiot, no, you cannot ban a move..

Well, some people are banning wobbling, but that is the only move that is banned..

If you are grabbed you are ****ed anyways, don't ban wobbling, ok?

Samochan

Smash Master
MLG rules are good imo. Onett is too unbalanced for fox and Peach castle is also broken stage for any spammer and fox player.

Also, sheik players are free to transform into zelda and vice versa when it comes to regular tournament matches, but when it comes to crews and low tiers, you need to stick with the said character and can only transform on recovery purposes or something else, but can't hit the opposing player when you're sheik on lt or your character is sheik on crews but transformed to zelda.

Stalling is banned and game breaking glithces too. Wobbling is debatable as always. Imo, Helios' silly rule from RoX4 was good too, that you cannot pick the last stage you played on (or something like that).

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Zelda / Sheik absolutely has no bans on down-b transformations.

The ABC's thread has mostly what you need, especially links to get the tournament bracket programs. Other than that, just make sure you have TVs, gamecubes, and players.

Banned stages are...
You, and the people at your tourney, might find the MLG stages picture to be a helpful guide:

(Click for the larger version)

Red means banned
Yellow means able to be counter-picked
Green means neutral (on random)

The top of a box represents Singles, the bottom of a box represents Doubles.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
As Samochan said, glitches like IC's freeze, M2's freeze, etc. are banned.
I have never heard of a transformation ban, though.

Ares726

Smash Ace
Banning transformations between Zelda/Sheik would be like banning Nana because you get an extra character. That's ridiculous.

Stages are different at each tourney, but Phanna's chart is probably the most widely accepted ruleset.

For specific rulesets, just go read the first post of a tourney thread until you find one you like.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
isn't termina banned cause of the turtle and the fact one blast line is much farther than the other...and the fact that y. link is completely gay on that stage

Team Giza

Smash Lord
* Game version: Nintendo Gamecube (preferably v1.2)
* Game Settings: Singles VS Melee, 2/3 Games, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer, No Items
* If both players can agree on a stage, that stage will be used. If there is conflict, then the rules below come into action.
* Pool A: Final Destination, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Battlefield,
Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams.
* Pool B: Mute City, Green Greens, Rainbow Cruise, Kongo Jungle 64,
Brinstar, Poke Floats, Corneria, Jungle Japes.
* The stage for Game 1 will be selected at random from pool A. Any games after that can be from pools A or B.
* After the stage has been selected by the losing player, the winner of the previous game may change characters, but has to pick first.
* No stage may be used twice in any given set.
* Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.
* Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

---

As for Wobbling, do not ban it unless you are just starting a community near your house and you are afraid the tactic will scare off new players because it takes some advanced thought to get around. It is not a broken tactic so it is not banned in the major fighting game tournaments that include Smash Melee, like Evo. Make sure you unban regardless as the community grows because it will help the community evolve and become better.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Changing between Zelda and Sheik is only banned in low tier tournaments (where you can only use Zelda). If it's banned elsewhere, i guess they are scared of the chance that I accidentally change into sheik, change back because it was a mistake, and kick their ***** with Zelda....

Also I'd suggest holding off on hosting a tournament until you've been to one.

Samochan

Smash Master
Changing between Zelda and Sheik is only banned in low tier tournaments (where you can only use Zelda). If it's banned elsewhere, i guess they are scared of the chance that I accidentally change into sheik, change back because it was a mistake, and kick their ***** with Zelda....
And as I said earlier, transformation is also banned on crews, for obvious reasons. :p At least that what I was told on RoS4. If you go sheik, you also go sheik and not zelda.

Top Bottom