• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Stress and New Characters

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
So I put in a lot of time into my Falco. I aimed for him to me my main and one point and worked my *** off to improve with him after he was just a mediocre secondary. I eventually got to be pretty good with him. I would do very well in friendlies with him, even got M2K down to his last stock (that's good for me lol)but when it came time for tournaments it was different. I was used to using Snake for tournaments so when I had to change my mindset and playstyle I started getting nervous. I let my tournament inexperience (as Falco) get the better of me and made my Falco hasty and sloppy. I feel like I have a solid character here but I fail at using him in tournaments. Does anyone have any suggestions for overcoming this? I would really like to use him to his potential.

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
It's just a mental phase. It is a brand mind set and everything. Same thing happened to me when I tried out my Ness. Just look for some more locals and cheaper tournaments so you don't lose money.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
I would just say have fun trying out a new character in a tournament. You don't necessarily need to have fun in the aspect of winning (even though it's fun to win); but rather understanding and learning how you fare with the new character. If you find after two appearances your in a rut with no desire to continue then go back to the old main. If your desire to use the new character continues to grow despite the outcome in matches continue to feed your desire.

I guess motivation is the word I'd use, but then again what motivates one person is different than what motivates another.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Enter more tournaments as Falco. It's part of the practice and training. Against a wider array of players, trying their hardest to win, you're going to learn things about Falco you didn't even know. I like to think of it as Falco himself needing to get some actual combat experience under his wings, instead of just training in the gym all day.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Enter more tournaments as Falco. It's part of the practice and training. Against a wider array of players, trying their hardest to win, you're going to learn things about Falco you didn't even know. I like to think of it as Falco himself needing to get some actual combat experience under his wings, instead of just training in the gym all day.
gay
Everything is confidence.
you wins thread

OverLade

Smash Hero
Money match people. It'll help you re-create the "need to win" so you can get used to it.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Have someone kick you in the shin as hard as they can if you don't win.

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
From your description, it sounds as if you have an incredibly solid character in your aersenal (To do that well against M2K... I am fairly sure that most members on the boards could not do that well against him.). A lot of people have been saying to get more tournament experience with Falco, but it seems clear that you already have a great deal of tournament experience. What really seems to be your problem is you mindset.

Unless you can rapidly change the way you think whenever you want, my suggestion is to constantly put yourself into the mindset that you are always in a tournament. Now I do not necessarily mean always doing money matches (In fact, if the competition makes you do worse, that might actually cause major problems for you.), but I instead mean to always make wagers that make it more difficult for you to win the match. If you cannot win the match in the way you said you could win it, then come up with a "punishment" that will also make you improve.

As an example, tell yourself that you are going to win the next match with Falco and that if you cannot win it, you must review 5 videos of high level Falco matches. Of course this is just an example, but make your "punishment" something that will also force you to improve. That way, to avoid your "punishment" you will take on a serious mindset (like one you would need in a tournament), and if you cannot win, you will improve because of your "punishment." I only mean this as a suggestion, but perhaps it will help.

Top Bottom