• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournamet Setup Plz

CyrusTheGreat

Smash Cadet
Hi

I am holding a tournament for my school for old school smash. I was wondering how the setup should be? as far as rounds, stock, seeding, maps, character changing, and etc.

Right now, I have it 3 rounds 4 stock, and finals best of 5 win by two

seeding- I don't like the idea of a random seed but I don't know all of the entrants so it makes it difficult. BTW I am using TIO, which is a great program.

Maps - dreamland, hyrule, peach's castle, dk's and safforn city. Random first round, loser's pick. Same map cannot be played in a row? or at all?

Should players enter the tournament with only one character? or be allowed to play multiple characters depending on the other's player's character and map?

There is no entrance fee, but there is a pot. I have $250 most likely, how it should be split between 1st, 2nd and 3rd ( I dont care much about third) for the 1vs1 and 2vs2?

any tips or advice I can get running the tournament well would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, If this tournament goes well, in the future it will be open to everyone around new york.

mathos

Smash Champion
Most of the smash64 matches I watch are 5 stock. I wouldn't restrict people to the characters they get to play. Just adapt typical SSBM tourny rules.

And I hope that the pot money is coming from your pocket.

CyrusTheGreat

Smash Cadet
Not from my pocket, from my school.

Anyways, where can I get ahold typical ssbm tourny rules?

As far as the characters switch, could it be first round is a double blind pick and random stage. But then as far as the preceding rounds, can loser change character and map? (winner being allowed to change if loser changes of course)

CyrusTheGreat

Smash Cadet
"For the next round, players first may choose to change their stage strike, and then the losing player from the previous match must announce their choice for the next level or elect to have the next level selected at random. Once the stage selection has been announced, the winning player may choose to change their character. Once the winning player has chosen his character for the next match, the losing player may then choose to change characters. After the stage and characters have been set, the players play their second match. All succeeding matches are played in the same manner."

Could this possibly intrepreted as the losing player cannot change characters if the winner does not?

Top Bottom