• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TourneyPlay Gaming League November 20-21:- Seattle WA

D

Deleted member

due to not having enough money after all i'm not gunna go

but lovage is

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Man.....

Looks like it may just end up being

Me
Kefit
Sudo
SuPeRbOom
Isai
Darth Rancorous
Blue Yoshi maybe

I hope I'm able to get the UW guys to this.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Based on videos, talk here on swf, and tourneys, the level of play at the tourney is gonna be high.
Can't wait to win this thing with my Samus :p

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I don't think I will end up going (not confirmed yet... but...)

I'm trying to get a job, and saying within the first few weeks of the job that I can't work for 4 days isn't the best. So unless my job has those days free naturally (as in, I'm given those days off), I'll have to say no.

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
Jobs usually understand that u may have a prior committment.

The way I see it is this: SSB64 tournies are hard to come by, especially one with so many good people goin.

All I'm sayin is that for those of u not goin, u will regret missin out

D

Deleted member

i apparently have free teams entry for melee if i go

but i still have to buy the expensive plane ticket and i am a poor kid

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Sorry for the long post, I didn't have the time to shorten it

Hi everyone, I dropped by to see what the buzz is on SSB, and I'm glad I did! I'm the one running SSB-VC at TP4. Yes, the one on the Wii.

First of all, I want to say that Jel has been giving you guys some misinformation and I'd like to clear that stuff up.

The first, and biggest thing that Jel has told you that was incorrect is how I "don't want anything to do with" the N64 version. It is also untrue that I "don't like 64" or only want to play by "dumb rules". These quotes are from Jel's post on this very thread.

To let you guys know my recent SSB background, here's my story:

(feel free to skip, but it's fun to read)

Before the VC version was out, and with everyone gaga over either Melee or Brawl, I took an interest in SSB. I hunted down a used N64 at a game store and bought it, then I finally found a copy of SSB for an additional $30, and then bought some controllers that weren't falling apart. I probably could have found a copy of SSB for cheaper but I was more interested in playing SSB than waiting around for a better deal.

I introduced SSB back into the competitive scene in my state by including it at the next Brawl tournament that I hosted. It was well-received, and brought old SSB players out of the woodwork and back into the competitive scene.

I kept SSB in my tournament schedule from that point on, and continue to do so to this day. The next tournament is this weekend and will feature all three Smash games.

Okay, so now that you know you're not talking with a Virtual Console snob, I want to make sure you all take it lightly when Jel uses condescending referrences toward me, such as "newb". It should be obvious I'm not since I've been playing Smash Bros. competitively for at least 5 years now, and have hosted tournaments up and down the West Coast during this time.

I know it's a pain that I have to come into this thread bearing credentials and establishing myself as a knowledgable and competant member of the Smash community, but it's for the best to iron out the details.

So, most of you are probably wondering that if I'm so oldschool and have no problems with the N64, why then am I the one running the Virtual Console tournament?

The answer is simple. I'm steeped in the community as a whole, a large portion of which is Brawl, and I have noticed that there is a LOT of potential for new SSB players from the Brawl scene. There are only a few hurdles to overcome to help integrate these players into SSB. The first is that Brawl players have a Wii, but not an N64. The second is that they are used to the Game Cube controllers (and perhaps only have access to those controllers).

Not everyone is like me where they are motivated to go out and find all the old N64 pieces to play SSB as it was played in its prime. Nor are some financially able to afford all the required expenditure. With the VC now offering downloads of SSB, it's both easy and affordable for Wii-owners to own a copy of SSB. Additionally, they can use either a Classic Controller or a Game Cube controller, either of which they're already familiar with.

Because of this, I see the chance for SSB to make a big splash in the Smash community. A chance it never had back in its early days. Smash Bros made its competitive debut with Melee, and Brawl has drawn a HUGE number of players to Nintendo's great-selling Wii. SSB is now at the fingertips of every last Wii owner (with numbers in the millions).

It's obvious that in order for SSB to grow, it needs to take advantage of all those Wii owners who would just LOVE to try their luck in SSB, but see the N64 as either antiquated or impossible to own. It's practically the duty of all SSB-64 players to help get these Brawl players interested in joining SSB tournaments. Whether you prefer to play SSB on the Wii, PC, or N64 - if you want more players to accept SSB as the competitive, serious, and wildly-fun game that it is, then you have to do everything it takes!

I know I'm trying my best. I'm getting friends to play with me, running SSB tournaments, and promoting the great qualities of SSB that I love about the game. I had to learn to use the Game Cube controller, just like I had to learn to use the N64 controller. I've bought the original game, and I downloaded it to my Wii (I even got the Japanese VC as soon as it was available).

Getting N64 players to play SSB on the N64 is EASY. It's getting new players to learn the game and join in tournaments that's the challenge. Luckily, I love a good challenge!

I was given permission by the owner of TourneyPlay to go ahead and run the SSB event. I handed over the N64 side of things to Jel, and I took up the challenge to run the VC event. I've run across many, many obstacles along the way, and I've been trying to work out things with Jel. Trust me, I know how to run a tournament, and I know for sure that I can get a LOT of Brawl/Melee playes to at least pick up a controller and play a game of SSB, if not actually enter a tournament.

I just wanted to make sure everyone here on SWF knew the big picture as to what's been going on behind the scenes. There have been a lot of questions about the VC event and the N64 event, and I hope I answered everything. If there are any more questions, feel free to post them!

Lovage

Smash Hero
big post for a simple idea

why are u acting like it has to be one or the other

if the tourny is hosted on VC, ppl can play with gamecube controllers or n64 controllers (as long as 2 ppl bring their converters)

its not that big a deal

edit: also you posted really bad rules for this tourny
3 stocks is terrible for ssb
LMFAO DREAMLAND AS STARTER?

why are you creating rules for a game u dont know anything about? can i go into the next brawl tourny and change it to 6 stocks w/ only rainbow cruise and pictochat as neutrals? LOL

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
T1mmys Rules for SSB VC for everyone to Read....

Official Rules
Complete Rules for
Super Smash Bros. (VC)
Tournament Edition, Spring of 2010

Stock: 3
Items: Off
Friendly Fire: On

Teams are understood to consist of 1 player each in Singles and 2 players each in Doubles.

Controller Port Selection
1) Teams agree to Controller Port selection (Port 1, Port 2, etc).
2) If there is a conflict, play Rock/Scissors/Paper. Winner chooses Controller Port first, loser has first pick of Team/Character color.

Round 1 Character/Stage Selection

Character Selection is done “Double Blind” . Any Team may elect to skip the Double Blind selection by openly performing character selection before the opposing Team. Characters chosen 'Double Blind' are selected in a manner so that neither Team knows the opposing Team's character choice.

The first stage is played on Dreamland. Teams may agree to start on any specific stage instead.

Round 2 Character/Stage Selection
1) The Team that lost the previous Round announces a “Counterpick” Stage. This stage is selected from the Counterpick Stage list (see below).
2) The Team that won the previous Round then selects character/s.
3) The Team that lost the previous Round selects character/s.

Kongo Jungle
Peach's Castle
Saffron City

Rules for Additional Rounds
In the case of additional Rounds beyond two, repeat Round 2 Character/Stage Selection rules, steps 1 to 3.

* Brackets will be Double Elimination.

* Each Set will be Best of Three games.

* Finals Sets, in both the Primary and the Elimination Brackets, will be Best of Five games.

* Grand Finals will be a Best of Five Set, with the player coming from Elimination Bracket
needing to win two Sets to take first place.

* Players will be seeded by the TO's best intentions based on player strength, which may include utilizing Player Ranking lists.

* Bring Your Own Controller. Wired or wireless, make sure it's in working condition, fully charged, etc.

* If there is a controller malfunction you are responsible for letting a Judge/Referee know. The Judge/Referee will decide if the match should continue, halt, or be replayed. If the Judge/Referee rules that the controller malfunction is not significant enough to interfere with the game, the player in question forfeits the game.

* Players using a wireless controller that synchs to a game station (i.e. Classic Controller) are required to remove their batteries when not playing matches in order to prevent interference. Players interfering with other players games due to wireless connection, whether intentional or unintentional, will be penalized by a Judge/Referee/Director as seen fit.

* In case of technical problems (e.g. power outage, game interference, etc.) a Referee will make all decisions regarding the game.

* "Stock Sharing" in Doubles is allowed.

* When a match is called, all players from each Team are expected to arrive and play on a timely basis. Should a Team not report for their match within a 5 minute grace period that Team will be called to their station with a 2 minute time limit. At the end of the 2 minute limit, should the Team still not arrive, that Team forfeits the Round (announced by a Judge/Referee). Another 2 minute warning is announced and the process is repeated until the Team has forfeited enough Rounds to lose the entire Set or has arrived in time to complete their Set.

* No refunds for Admission Fee, Entrance Fee, etc, and there will be no compensation for these fees for any reason.

* In the case of a tie, the “Tie Breaking” rules will be applied (see below).

* One “Round Win” is recorded for the Team remaining in the game when all other Teams’ stocks have been eliminated before the timer runs out (as pronounced by the game‘s victory declaration at the end of a game). The Team with a “Round Win” is considered for all purposes to be the winning Team of this Round and all opposing Teams are considered for all purposes the losing Team of this Round.

* One “Set Win” is recorded for the first Team to achieve enough “Round Wins” in a Set as determined by the format (“Best of 1” requires 1 Round Win, “Best of 3” requires 2 Round Wins, and “Best of 5” requires 3 Round Wins). The Set is complete when a Team achieves a “Set Win” through accumulated “Round Wins”.

* In case of time-out, the winner is the Team with the most total Stock, as seen on the winner declaration screen.

* In the case that Teams are eliminated at the same time (E.G. with “Suicide” attacks, coincidental KOs, or when the timer expires), the resulting Sudden Death is not used for Tie Breaking purposes. Instead, a “Tie Breaker” game is played (see below).

Tie Breaker Play-off
1) Stock count is changed to: 1
2) Characters remain unchanged
3) The same stage as played previously is selected
4) Winner of the Tie Breaker Game is awarded the “Round Win”.

Tactics that go against fair play will result in a warning or forfeiture on part of the player using them. These types of actions include, but are not limted to: excessive stalling, unnecessary/excessive pausing, disabling the opponent's controller, and using glitches/hacks/etc that freeze characters or otherwise make the round unplayable.

All players are expected to participate with an attitude of Good Sportsmanship. It is common sportsmanship, upon ending a tournament set, to shake the other player's hand regardless of winning or losing. All attendees, and their possessions, are to be respected, as are the tournament hosts/organizers and the venue.

Players exhibiting poor sportsmanship are subject to warnings or removal from the tournament as deemed by the Tournament Organizers.

SST1 01/22/2010

Reading this makes you think he is trying to Run this game Like its BRAWL LOL

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
Ok so this VC vs Original war is getting out of hand....

THIS is how it will work:
------------------------------------------------------

The Games:
Brawl, Melee, SSB1, Halo3 and MW2
Unofficial Side Events: Blawl+, SSB-VC
*Unofficial means you pay the Venue fee to TP and then report to those games and pay whatever they are asking to pay for the event. TP4 events come first, you will be DQ'd if stalling TP4 due to side event games.
------------------------------------------------------

The above blurb has been added to the official posting on AiB... I will try and add it into the other places I have posted, but I dont have the time to try and find them all, since all of them point to the AiB Post as the "most up to date/official" version.

PS: Lovage - I like the new Brawl rules... 6stock and Picto/RC..officially changing them now!! (j/k)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
can i go into the next brawl tourny and change it...
You certainly may. I'm not someone who tries to prevent someone from playing a game they enjoy.

Reading this makes you think he is trying to Run this game Like its BRAWL LOL
I'm glad you're starting to understand things.

I'm working with the Brawl players to get them to play SSB, not fighting against them. Thus I'm getting Jel to run the 64 tourney while I work on the Brawl-esque tourney. It's a win-win situation, having two SSB tournaments since I'm sure every last one of us here can beat Brawl players on the VC as well as the 64.

Btw Jel, I mentioned that I didn't want you using condescending terms against me. Typing "LOL" at the end of your post makes it look like you're trying to make jest of my endevors toward making SSB a popular event at TP4.

T0MMY

Smash Master
why are u acting like it has to be one or the other

if the tourny is hosted on VC, ppl can play with gamecube controllers or n64 controllers (as long as 2 ppl bring their converters)

its not that big a deal
Sort of a voice of reason here. It doesn't have to be one or the other. There can (and as far as I know is) an event for both, which is win/win.

Additionally the 64-onry players can use their old controllers on the Wii version, something that is not compatible with the VC players.

edit: also you posted really bad rules for this tourny
3 stocks is terrible for ssb
LMFAO DREAMLAND AS STARTER?

why are you creating rules for a game u dont know anything about? can i go into the next brawl tourny and change it to 6 stocks w/ only rainbow cruise and pictochat as neutrals? LOL
The 3 stock rule hasn't been terrible for the last 3 SSB events we've run, in fact it would have been a terrible situation if we ran it using 5 stocks or more because we would not have had time for it (this happened all three events). When you get more than 4 players competing time starts becoming a factor, especially when the players actually know how to play and don't just fall off the stage like a noob in 10 seconds.

Additionally, Dreamland is the stage of choice for neutrals amongst the majority of non 64-onry players. There's a limited choice in "competitive" stages available in this game, and by competitive I mean a stage you don't win through environment or other luck factors (like random tornadoes and pirahna plants). Dreamland is about as neutral as you get with static environment save for the wind from Wispy Woods. Again, this is by majority choice from the players who play for money in the Pac NW.
Take a look at both Melee and Brawl and see how they've dropped many stages once thought to be nautral or near-neutral and you'll understand the years of maturity the games have in the competitive scene. SSB1 is an old game, but it's new to the competitive scene, if it's going to survive we don't want to be seen as antiquated noobs.

D

Deleted member

Sort of a voice of reason here. It doesn't have to be one or the other. There can (and as far as I know is) an event for both, which is win/win.

Additionally the 64-onry players can use their old controllers on the Wii version, something that is not compatible with the VC players.

The 3 stock rule hasn't been terrible for the last 3 SSB events we've run, in fact it would have been a terrible situation if we ran it using 5 stocks or more because we would not have had time for it (this happened all three events). When you get more than 4 players competing time starts becoming a factor, especially when the players actually know how to play and don't just fall off the stage like a noob in 10 seconds.

Additionally, Dreamland is the stage of choice for neutrals amongst the majority of non 64-onry players. There's a limited choice in "competitive" stages available in this game, and by competitive I mean a stage you don't win through environment or other luck factors (like random tornadoes and pirahna plants). Dreamland is about as neutral as you get with static environment save for the wind from Wispy Woods. Again, this is by majority choice from the players who play for money in the Pac NW.
Take a look at both Melee and Brawl and see how they've dropped many stages once thought to be nautral or near-neutral and you'll understand the years of maturity the games have in the competitive scene. SSB1 is an old game, but it's new to the competitive scene, if it's going to survive we don't want to be seen as antiquated noobs.
you have the right intentions but dreamland 64 is broken for high tier characters

falcon has an auto 0 to death due to the platforms

pikachu can gimp heavy characters by f-throw run off n-air

kirby can camp very well with up-tilt

gimp heavy map (or gimpy combos)

it's not very neutral at all

Lovage

Smash Hero
you ppl have the right idea but are making the worst possible solution

you want to support the fledgling ssb64 community but are forcing them to decide between one of two tournaments? not to mention the ruleset for the other one is terrible.

let's see how many brawl players continue to play the new and fun ssb64 for VC when superboom usmashes them once on dreamland and they die.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
you ppl have the right idea but are making the worst possible solution

you want to support the fledgling ssb64 community but are forcing them to decide between one of two tournaments? not to mention the ruleset for the other one is terrible.

let's see how many brawl players continue to play the new and fun ssb64 for VC when superboom usmashes them once on dreamland and they die.
I dont think Boom will play VC Smash when all the really good players plan to play it on N64. But then again who knows.

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
this 3 stock and dreamland as neutral thing is silly. If you want some good rules; check out either Sensei's ruleset or Isai's ruleset(which imo is best).

Untrust Us

Smash Journeyman
Guys, this isn't brawl.

I mean, 3 stocks in DREAMLAND? A falcon ditto would end in 30 seconds on dreamland.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
I mean, 3 stocks in DREAMLAND? A falcon ditto would end in 30 seconds on dreamland.
A Falcon ditto might end in 30 seconds on Dreamland, and that's if at least one of those Falcons know what they're doing. Remember, we're talking about Brawl players who don't play SSB and don't KO someone until they get them up to 180% or more. We're not going to get 30 second matches on Dreamland, and it would be a time-killer to allow them to go to places like Sector Z or Hyrule Castle.

you want to support the fledgling ssb64 community but are forcing them to decide between one of two tournaments?
We're not "forcing" anyone to do anything. Everyone has a choice to play in any and all consoles. The N64 enthusiasts have an event for N64 with familiar rules and for everyone else who does not have an N64 controller, who is more familiar with Brawl, and who would otherwise not be entering the N64 tournament, there is the VC event.

I'm also expecting the good players from N64 to enjoy this addition tournament as they are very likely to win. Adapters are available for controllers, and even without it, honestly, the GCN controller is not difficult to use.

this 3 stock and dreamland as neutral thing is silly.
It's entirely possible we can update the rules so that Finals and Grand Finals can be played with more traditional rules considering the N64 players would be going farther than the Brawl/Melee players. The starting stage can be done elimination method or agreed upon, and the Stocks can be increased to 5. This wouldn't slow down the tournament and would make the N64 players feel more at home.

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
All in all I think t1mmy is right, at least in this last post.

We have an official N64 event and an option VC event... It is not a one or the other... its BOTH. Enter one, both or none...

D

Deleted member

Even if you played on Hyrule Castle with 7 stocks it'd take the same amount of time as a typical brawl match

P D

Smash Ace

You certainly may. I'm not someone who tries to prevent someone from playing a game they enjoy.

I'm glad you're starting to understand things.

I'm working with the Brawl players to get them to play SSB, not fighting against them. Thus I'm getting Jel to run the 64 tourney while I work on the Brawl-esque tourney. It's a win-win situation, having two SSB tournaments since I'm sure every last one of us here can beat Brawl players on the VC as well as the 64.

Btw Jel, I mentioned that I didn't want you using condescending terms against me. Typing "LOL" at the end of your post makes it look like you're trying to make jest of my endevors toward making SSB a popular event at TP4.
you guys dont understand. ssb is not melee, and thank god it is not brawl.

ssb should never be forced to be like these games now, or in the future.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
For everone thats going to this.

Do you guys wish to do a Teams Tournament ???, if you guys wish to do one it will cost $5.00 per player.

Lovage

Smash Hero
SSB1 is an old game, but it's new to the competitive scene .
that's the thing though. it's not. people have been playing this game seriously for years and understand how it works enough to develop a standard ruleset. why can't you just trust that we know what we're talking about.

unless the idea behind your VC tournament really IS to have a dumbed down tournament to get noobs into the scene (who won't take it at all seriously, therefore it won't grow as a game) in which case 3 stocks dreamland LOLOLO is fine.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
We will have alot of recording to do when everyone meets up at the hotel. Also to everyone thats not going keep a eye out for the videos to be posted soon.

GameClucks

Smash Journeyman
SCHEDULE:

TP4 Launch Party - Friday Feb 12th 2010
GameClucks LAN Center 3pm - 10pm
We will live stream a lot of this event... mostly will be just a camera shot of the area.
Food and Drinks provided.
Its light snack foods, this is not a dinner replacement.
If you did not Pre-Register, this event will be $10 at the door (NO EXCEPTIONS)

Event @ Seattle Center
Saturday 10am - 10pm
10am - 11am - Registration (if not Pre-reg'ed you WILL pay full price)
11am - 12pm - Bracket Set Up (Brawl 1v1, Qual Brackets and Halo3)
12pm - 12:30pm - GCTV TP4 Show
12pm - Until Done - Halo3 4v4
12pm - 3pm - Brawl 2v2 Bracket
3pm - 6pm - Brawl Qualifier Brackets
6pm - Until Done - Brawl 1v1 Pro Bracket
9pm - 9:30pm - GCTV Day 1 Wrap Up Show

Sunday 10am - 10pm
10am - 11am - Registration (if not Pre-reg'ed you WILL pay full price)
11am - 12pm - Bracket Set Up (Melee 1v1, 2v2 and MW2)
12pm - 12:30pm - GCTV TP4 Show
12pm - Until Done - MW2 Bracket
12pm - 4pm - Melee 2v2 Bracket
2pm - 5pm SSB N64 Version
4pm - Until Done - Melee 1v1 Bracket
9pm - 9:30pm - GCTV TP4 Wrap UP

GCTV Shows maybe delayed based up on brackets finishing so we have results to talk about.

We will ask for your RESPECT when doing these shows. No trying to disrupt the show please. We are attempting to do something that NO OTHER event like this has done., we are asking for your help with making this something GOOD.
(because on our own we are already bad enough)

Top Bottom