• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tower of Smash Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
This reminds me the fact that Bowser Jr Up-B gives him special aerial attacks while he isn't in his Koopa Clown Car.
That's actually a fair comparison. I'd be happy for Ridley to be in the game at all, irrespective of what kind of physiological anomalies he may possess.

Waverunner

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure when the leaker said grow wings, he meant they unfold. Bad wording perhaps, but you are claiming a complete revamp/form change. Shulk and Robin don't go through that.
Let me explain what I think could happen with Ridley. First, lets look at a theoretical moveset for him:
Standard: Fireballs- Shoots aim-able fireballs out of his mouth.
Side: Tail Sting- He whips his tail forward, piercing through his opponents with the sharp tip.
Up: Grow/Flight- He grows wings (if he didn't have any before) and flies up.
Down: Slam- He slams down onto the ground. If he is grounded, he stands up and slams down claws first. If he is flying, he simply slams down feet first.

Forget what I said about Ridley being able to change between his flight form and ground form. I think he is going to start each stock in his ground form, and his Up Special is a one time "transformation". It wouldn't truly be a transformation, because he'd be keeping all of his basic moves, just the power and properties of each move would be different. His normal and Smash attacks could even be different, as seen in Robin when he loses his Tomes.

In Ridley's grounded form, he would crawl around on all fours, only doing one handed swipes and bites. He would be slower, but super durable, being really hard to KO, in addition to a lot of super armor on his moves. But if you manage to force him off the stage, and force him to use his Up B, he becomes winged Ridley. In his winged form, Ridley becomes much faster and powerful, at the expense of becoming lighter and easier to KO. He also gains the ability to fly much longer, if not indefinitely. By fly, I mean something like Peach's float, where he can still fall, but he can stop in the air and attack. He could also jump to keep flapping his wings to fly higher. In a nutshell, grounded Ridley would be a tank, and winged Ridley would trade off the ability to take strong hits by having the best versatility in the game, even better than Brawl Meta Knight, though Ridley's size would make him easier to hit than MK.

Now for the reason Sakurai would go with this. Each new fighter has a unique gimmick that references what they are like in their games or what they represent as a character. If you don't believe me, I listed out every example in order of their appearance:
Villager's pocketing projectiles and 3 step tree attack reflects Animal Crossing's laid back feel.
Mega Man is almost all projectiles like in his own games.
Wii Fit Trainer breathes in order to focus like real fitness instructors.
Rosalina fights with her Luma children that she raised up.
Little Mac is a power house on the ground but horrid in the air like a real boxer would be.
Greninja uses attacks psyche out opponents like a real ninja would.
Mii's allow you or whoever you want to be in the game.
Palutena uses the powers from Uprising while Pit uses the weapons.
Pac-Man uses things ripped out of the various arcade games. Lucina pretended to be Marth, and thus is a clone of him.
Robin is able to mix magic and sword attacks like in Awakening.
Shulk can use Monado Arts.
Duck Hunt represents various Nintendo light gun games.
Dark Pit is literally a clone of Pit.
Bowser Jr uses the Clown Car, a villainous vehicle that has reappeared throughout the Mario series.
What would this Ridley represent? Simple, that he can't die, no matter how many times Samus kills him. And whether you like it or not, the Ridley in Other M, which is what the leak said that Ridley is based on, gets that point across the best. And that Ridley grows throughout the game until his infamous confrontation with Samus. That is the significance of a wingless to winged Ridley.

Let me explain what I think could happen with Ridley. First, lets look at a theoretical moveset for him:
Side: Tail Sting- He whips his tail forward, piercing through his opponents with the sharp tip.
Down: Slam- He slams down onto the ground. If he is grounded, he stands up and slams down claws first. If he is flying, he simply slams down feet first.

Forget what I said about Ridley being able to change between his flight form and ground form. I think he is going to start each stock in his ground form, and his Up Special is a one time "transformation". It wouldn't truly be a transformation, because he'd be keeping all of his basic moves, just the power and properties of each move would be different. His normal and Smash attacks could even be different, as seen in Robin when he loses his Tomes.

In Ridley's grounded form, he would crawl around on all fours, only doing one handed swipes and bites. He would be slower, but super durable, being really hard to KO, in addition to a lot of super armor on his moves. But if you manage to force him off the stage, and force him to use his Up B, he becomes winged Ridley. In his winged form, Ridley becomes much faster and powerful, at the expense of becoming lighter and easier to KO. He also gains the ability to fly much longer, if not indefinitely. By fly, I mean something like Peach's float, where he can still fall, but he can stop in the air and attack. He could also jump to keep flapping his wings to fly higher. In a nutshell, grounded Ridley would be a tank, and winged Ridley would trade off the ability to take strong hits by having the best versatility in the game, even better than Brawl Meta Knight, though Ridley's size would make him easier to hit than MK.

Now for the reason Sakurai would go with this. Each new fighter has a unique gimmick that references what they are like in their games or what they represent as a character. If you don't believe me, I listed out every example in order of their appearance:
Villager's pocketing projectiles and 3 step tree attack reflects Animal Crossing's laid back feel.
Little Mac is a power house on the ground but horrid in the air like a real boxer would be.
Pac-Man uses things ripped out of the various arcade games. Lucina pretended to be Marth, and thus is a clone of him.
Bowser Jr uses the Clown Car, a villainous vehicle that has reappeared throughout the Mario series.
What would this Ridley represent? Simple, that he can't die, no matter how many times Samus kills him. And whether you like it or not, the Ridley in Other M, which is what the leak said that Ridley is based on, gets that point across the best. And that Ridley grows throughout the game until his infamous confrontation with Samus. That is the significance of a wingless to winged Ridley.
No significance, you're just looking a bit to far into this growing wings thing.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

Great theories, but I think you're honestly looking into it too much. I think Ridley, if he is in the game, will just be a straight-up aerial fighter that's poor on the ground, but great in the air - the "anti-Mac", if you will - and the wings growing / unfolding just represents a visual distinction to show that he's either out of or entering into his element.

The playable Ridley is Meta Ridley and he literally grows giant steampunk wings out of his back. The reason he isn't in the final roster is because he was busy augmenting his physical form to enable himself to operate in a high-stress, non-stop environment without overheating and just exploding mid-battle.

Last edited:

Whia

Smash Apprentice
One thing that I find somewhat intriguing is the mention of boss battles in the Tower, only because of the allusion to a Metal Face cameo in Shulk's trailer. We likely all assumed he would appear as a boss on Gaur Plains, yet is nowhere to be found. He's likely bound to turn up somewhere (unless Sakurai just put him in the trailer for theatrics), and if not in Gaur Plains, then where else? Well, we may have our answer.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
One thing that I find somewhat intriguing is the mention of boss battles in the Tower, only because of the allusion to a Metal Face cameo in Shulk's trailer. We likely all assumed he would appear as a boss on Gaur Plains, yet is nowhere to be found. He's likely bound to turn up somewhere (unless Sakurai just put him in the trailer for theatrics), and if not in Gaur Plains, then where else? Well, we may have our answer.
This was the same thing that was on my mind....
Why is he missing from the 3DS version... and why didn't we see gameplay of him in Shulk's trailer? It makes sense. Sakurai's hiding the "Tower of Smash" from us for the time being.

Last edited:

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the leak stages, Dyna Blade and Mecha Dragon don't really have a level they can call their own. Do you guys think bosses will be fought on a modified version of a stage or a new arena altogether (a la Subspace)?

Gaur Plains would work for Metal Face, though. In that case, based on levels, what other bosses could we expect?

If Kraid is in (since he hasn't been seen in Smash Run), then he could be on the Tourian level (even though his lair's in Brinstar). The Kremlin boss has also not yet been seen.

Last edited:

Waverunner

Smash Cadet
Looking at the leak stages, Dyna Blade and Mecha Dragon don't really have a level they can call their own. Do you guys think bosses will be fought on a modified version of a stage or a new arena altogether (a la Subspace)?

Gaur Plains would work for Metal Face, though. In that case, based on levels, what other bosses could we expect?

If Kraid is in (since he hasn't been seen in Smash Run), then he could be on the Tourian level (even though his lair's in Brinstar). The Kremlin boss has also not yet been seen.
Dyna Blade would probably fit in Cookie Country just fine. Mecha Dragon would fit even better on Dr. Wily's Castle since it is a boss actually from Mega Man 2, unlike Yellow Devil.

EnthusedPanda

Smash Journeyman
That information also directly contradicts Sakurai's statements about the trophies between versions.

Not opposed to any of this, though.
Sakurai also said the 3DS version wouldn't hold back the Wii U version, and recently contradicted that.

FallofBrawl

Smash Ace
If there is a tower of smash, who do you guys think the bosses will be?
Here is my list, for fun:
9. DynaBlade (Kirby Series)
19. Mecha Dragon (Megaman Series)
29. Rayquaza (returning)(Pokemon Series)
39. Boom Boom and Pom Pom (sorry)(Mario 3d World)
49. King K. Rool (DKC Series)
59. Koloktos (Zelda SS)
69. Metal Face (Xenoblade)
79. Giygas (Mother Series)
89. Kraid (Metroid Series)
99. Hades (Kid Icarus Uprising)

There are also extra bosses that switch in and switch around every time you restart Tower of Smash, and it's not always in this order:
There are still Molgera (Zelda WW), Metal Sonic and Robotnik (Sonic series), Dino Piranha (Mario Galaxy series), Erwin (Pac Land series), Gangrel (FE Awakening), Shy Guy Army (Yoshi Series), Andross (Star Fox Series), Zenisuki (Wario Land Series), King Hippo (Punch Out Series), Black Shadow and his Black Bull (F-Zero Series), Viral Infection (Dr. Mario Series), Duck Hunters (Duck Hunt), Game and Watch Lion (Game and Watch series), Wart (Super Mario Bros. 2), Metal Mario Brothers (Smash series), Volvagia (Zelda OOT), Scornet Maestro (Pikmin 3), Cyrus (Animal Crossing), Whispy Woods (Kirby Series), Shadow Lugia (Pokemon XD), Wrestler (Rhythm Heaven), King Boo (Luigi's Mansion), Duon (Smash Series), Tabuu (Smash Series), Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Master Core (Smash Series)
This would be an amazing celebration of Nintendo's history :)

Raijinken

Smash Master
Sakurai also said the 3DS version wouldn't hold back the Wii U version, and recently contradicted that.
The Wii U version is not out, no contradiction has yet been confirmed. And of course, it's well-known that the ICs have been both a balance and technical nuisance since they were created, so it's not the least bit surprising that they're finally out.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
59. Koloktos (Zelda SS)

There are also extra bosses that switch in and switch around every time you restart Tower of Smash, and it's not always in this order:
There are still Molgera (Zelda WW), Metal Sonic and Robotnik (Sonic series), Dino Piranha (Mario Galaxy series), Erwin (Pac Land series), Gangrel (FE Awakening), Shy Guy Army (Yoshi Series), Andross (Star Fox Series), Zenisuki (Wario Land Series), King Hippo (Punch Out Series), Black Shadow and his Black Bull (F-Zero Series), Viral Infection (Dr. Mario Series), Duck Hunters (Duck Hunt), Game and Watch Lion (Game and Watch series), Wart (Super Mario Bros. 2), Metal Mario Brothers (Smash series), Volvagia (Zelda OOT), Scornet Maestro (Pikmin 3), Cyrus (Animal Crossing), Whispy Woods (Kirby Series), Shadow Lugia (Pokemon XD), Wrestler (Rhythm Heaven), King Boo (Luigi's Mansion), Duon (Smash Series), Tabuu (Smash Series), Master Hand, Crazy Hand, and Master Core (Smash Series)
Uh...heh...I think Giygas should be above Kraid....maybe even Hades....

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I have to admit that I'd like Tabbuu's return, similary to how Smash Run have some Subspace Emissary enemies.

Also, considering that Mother 1 and 2 seems to be privileged this time... Giygas IS a possibility. In glorious HD.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
59. Koloktos (Zelda SS)

Good question! Personally, I would like to see a representative from each series. We'd have a lot of variety then and we'd get some nice shout-outs to Nintendo's rich and wondrous history of memorable boss fights. It'd be a hefty challenge, but certainly worth fighting to the very, very top for!

Animal Crossing - Crazy Redd
Donkey Kong - Kerozene
F-Zero - Black Bull
Fire Emblem - Ashnard
Kid Icarus - Hades
Kirby - Dynablade
Mega Man - Mecha Dragon
Metroid - Kraid
Pac-Man - Spooky
Pikmin - Waterwraith
Pokémon - Rayquaza
Punch-Out!! - King Hippo
Sonic - Egg Emperor
Star Fox - Andross
Mario - Petey Piranha
Zelda - Phantom Ganon
Wii Fit - Yoga Projections
Xenoblade - Metal Face
Yoshi - Kamek
Mother - Ultimate Starman
Wario - Cractus
Game & Watch - Lion
Duck Hunt - Desperado
R.O.B. - Ancient Minister
Mii - Dark Emperor
Smash - Master Core

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Going back a bit, I will not play a Ridley bassed on stage 2 little birdy. I am hoping to Helix this guy just messed up his notes.

If there is a Fire Emblem boss, it'd better be Medeus, Gharnef, Grima, or Zelgius.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
... Why didn't I thought about Dr Eggman before this?

Damn, the more time I spend here, the more I want the Tower of Smash to happen.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I'm trying to not get too invested into the rumor because if it turns out false, I'd feel disappointed and only have the blame for myself lol

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
C'mon, you know you wanna get on the hype train :p
I'm already on! I even compiled the lists of the levels and even went as far as including the game and console origins they are from. (Does anyone want to see it?)

...But stillll....

No reason to get invested in it yet. One predictable stage guess means nothing at this point in time.
Yeah, I am taking the rumor with a grain of salt still, even with Gamer. It's just that I REALLY love most of the ideas this rumor has.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
I think if the guy gets one more stage right....we can be hyped. Don't y'all agree...?
(new stage)

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
I think if the guy gets one more stage right....we can be hyped. Don't y'all agree...?
(new stage)
Depends on the stage. If its one of the new ones, that we have yet to see, then yes. But if its a predictable returning stage, like Isle Delfino, not really.

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
the guy dident guess the Specific name of the stage he only said game & wario just saiyan

Last edited:

XLIFE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
fevariblaze
59. Koloktos (Zelda SS)

Thank you for making such a great question. I agree with your choices, but...
Mario- RPG boss (If a Mario boss makes it in, it should be one from an RPG, seeing Fawful or Dimentio would be amazing.)
Zelda- The OG Pig Ganon (Koloktos would be cool tho)
DK-Replace with a FE or Star Fox boss (Black Knight, Andross)

Another cool thing could be if you turn up the difficulty, you can face Tabuu. Man, I hope this is real. I'm getting too excited...

Spatman

Smash Ace
probably the most weird stages on the list like endless ocean, won't be revealed by Sakurai until the official release of the game. And many others stages aren't impossible to predict. So i fear we won't have the assurance the leak is true until the release of the game

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
If I was challenging the Tower of Smash, I would bring;
:4miigun: (Myself, for Range), :4wiremac:(For Ground Power), :4jigglypuff:(For Air Combat) and :4lemmy: (For the All-Rounder).

Meta_Ridley

Smash Journeyman
If I was challenging the Tower of Smash, I would bring;
:4miigun: (Myself, for Range), :4wiremac:(For Ground Power), :4jigglypuff:(For Air Combat) and :4lemmy: (For the All-Rounder).
Hm, I'd probably go :4bowser: to blow through the easier levels as quickly as possible, :4samus: for general butt-kicking, :4bowserjr: for... more general butt-kicking, and then whoever my main is (because you GOTTA save your main for your last hope).

Doc.Pringles

Smash Cadet
(I say in another thread but I want to say again. in the right place.)
It all gematsu again... Anyway, I don't think is fake yet, but Yesterday PotD reveal that it have is error. It walking in the true path to become real with few Random trippings and Traps set by Sakurai to become fake. And he already trigger the first trap but survive by luck.
I don't think the POTD exposed an error at all, and for 2 reasons.
1. Many of the places the leaker mentioned clearly weren't going to be the final titles, rather just a location and/or game. "Gamer" is such an example of a course that was likely named late in he process since it doesn't actually have a proper name like some of the others would, such as Gaur Plains.
2. We honestly can't be overly critical on names especially when the leaker's access ver easily could have been to the Japanese version, just as most the other leaks started as. The leaker obviously hasn't been given extreme information about the game, and 'final' exact stage names for English release is an example of this. Besides, Duck Hunt was labeled Duck Hunt Dog for ESRB, and later became Duck Hunt? We can't discredit something because the name is off, "Green House", as he called it, clearly wouldn't have been the final name, but damn was it spot-on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom