• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Traditional Fighting Games and Smash - Where do we belong?

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
I'm creating this thread to express what I believe has caused a complete and utter split between the Fighting Game Community and the Smash Community. I believe that there is blame on both ends, but I don't think it is anything that can't be repaired.

A game with depth is a game with depth. That is what Smash is; whether it is technically a fighting game or not (as determined by who? Not sure. Doesn't really matter) is irrelevant. It functions similarly to a fighting game minus some major elements (health bar, meter, etc) but has some unique elements (platforms, much more freedom of movement, direction influence, etc.)

The complex ruleset is there for the exact reason that everyone knows already: In vanilla settings, the game (assume i'm talking about Melee from now on unless I state otherwise, I don't play Brawl) is not fit for competitive play. That is because it was not designed to be that way. One thing that everyone has to realize is that regardless of a games intended design, there can be unexpected results. Melee's depth exists whether intentional or not, and there is nothing wrong with people taking their enjoyment of the game to another level and attempting to establish it as a real fighting game. Anyone who is annoyed or upset by this needs to get over it. If it weren't an enjoyable experience then the Smash community would be dead by now, and it isn't. We should be proud of what we've accomplished, proud of how fare we've come as a community, proud of how far we've pushed our game, and we should rejoice in the fact that there is still a lot more that can be accomplished.

Now, a few things I need to get across to a certain vocal minority of Smash players here. Melee is definitely an amazing game. And being elitists, only playing Melee and no other fighting games, believing without a doubt that this game is the pinnacle of fighting games is harmless, on it's own. But when you start spewing it on other fighting game forums, cross fighting game tournaments that happen to feature smash, or anywhere else you want to, it makes us look bad. And the truth is, nobody cares. Do I personally believe that Melee has a huge amount of depth? Yes. But that does not mean that I have to shove this view down other peoples throats. You are being a Jehovah's witness. A stereotype strikingly similar to that of a Melee player begging for acceptance on SRK. Stop it. You make us all look bad.

People will always see the Smash Community as a group of people who are trying to make Smash into something it is not. This is something that will always be true within the Smash Community, and we can't change that. What we can change is our attitudes. I've been to a ton of tournaments, and I know for a fact that our community is not as bad as the stereotypes I hear about it. I get plenty of advice, never had any issues, always have a really amazing time.

This is not what the average Fighting Game Community member sees, however. Because for some reason, instead of using the opportunity of a cross game tournament to reach out to the community, it instead results in arguments, fighting for space / setups, trash talk, etc. This is unbecoming of a misfit community attempting to gain acceptance from a larger community, and leads to unnecessary word of mouth garbage shunning away plenty of potential players.

I'd like to see the stats on how many people from the Smash Community have been even remotely prominent at other fighters. And I'm willing to wager that the number is quite low. Now, don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. I'm not attempting to say that Smashers are bad at Fighting Games, or that the Fighting Game Community is bad at Smash. Because while both of these statements are probably true, neither of them are the point. If we want to be accepted, we need to turn the other cheek and quit stirring ****. and the fact that 90% of the **** being stirred is based on a lack of fundamental understanding of each communities respective games is mindbogglingly pointless and hurts us in the long run. Now this begs the question: Do we want to be accepted by the Fighting Game Community? My feeling is that we do, so that we can correct the negative image we've been given, and the best way to do that is to start correcting how we act at tournaments. I think that trash talk withing communities is a fun and exciting way to build hype and rivalries. I also think it is just plain disrespectful to trash talk another community who's game you know nothing about.

Now, another question. What is more important? Respect, or acceptance? I'm a huge fan of Melee and love playing it competitively, but there is no reason to deny that our game wasn't designed to be played the way it is played now. It does not undermine what it has become, or devalue it, but to claim that your game is superior to other fighting games, especially when half the people who claim so don't even play "real" fighting games, is beyond pretentious. I don't blame some of them for hating us, and a lot of times I think we deserve the heat. If more of the Smash community could just accept that there game IS seperate from the fighting game community, then I think they'd probably show us at the very least a LOT more respect. We don't need them to say "yea your game is good guys", nor do we need to shove it down their throats, nor do we need to act hostile towards them.

I guess what is really boils down to is, the reason we aren't a real part of the Fighting Game Community is not because our game isn't deep enough or doesn't require enough skill or even because SRK hates us; It's because our game will always be a misfit. Misfits don't have to be hated, but a lot of the things I've mentioned above make it really easy and give such awful examples of our community that people draw conclusions, often rightfully so. I think we need to grow up as a community, and stop being on the fence. Do we want acceptance, or do we want to be separate? If we want to be separate, none of this post is relevant at all.

Melee, regardless of it's intended design, is a great game, and has at the very least stood the test of time. And I think for us to be accepted, we must first accept ourselves. What are we? A fighting game that should be part of the Fighting Game Community? Or are we satisfied being separate?

S l o X

Smash Champion
I didn't read but I believe that most of us Smashers are content with not being part of the FGC. At the same time, being one with the rest of the FGs would definitely help us out.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
TBH as someone that's crossed between these communities.... you sort of mentioned this, but I'll confirm it:

MOST of the hate from the FGC comes from Stream Monsters, trolls, and misunderstandings. Of course there are a decent number of exceptions, but MOST of it comes from there.

For the most part, if you stuck the Pros from the FGC and Smash Pros into one room, people would get along.

You stick the spectators in the room, a lot of the people would fight over stupid things.

You stick the people that watch the streams in the room, you'd get people practically killing each other (including people between different sections of the FGC fighting each other >.>).

Unfortunately, on BOTH sides, these latter 2 sections make up ignorant 85%+ of each community. A lot of people here hate the FGC because they can, and a lot of people there hate us because they can. Unless you can somehow eliminate 85% of each community, I don't see them getting along anytime soon.

The sub-communities in the FGC for each game don't even get along (except for, again, most the pros), and so expecting them to get along with us is a bit of a stretch. IMO it'd be nice if Smash was treated a bit better than kiddy trash, but you can't really do much about ignorance.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Does melee need to hitch itself to the FGC wagon? What do you get out of it? FG players aren't going to play melee. Not many melee players are interested in picking up fighting games, and if they are, they can do that and more power to them, no one's holding it against them. All you get out of conjoined tourneys are cluster****s like the one that happened at Apex.

I've got nothing against the FGC; I feel the same towards them as I do towards LoL players: OK, that's cool. Do your thing.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You can pretty much end the thread after what UltiMario said. As far as the people that matter are concerned, there's a reasonable level of acceptance between the communities, some pros from each community actually take time to understand the games that others are playing. You can typically ignore the people who try to stir **** up, because by and large, those people don't matter.

Deadandlivin

Smash Apprentice
Melee is a fighting game wether traditional staminabar based fighting game players want to believe it or not.

Not calling melee or any smash brothers game a fighting game because it does not share the exact same game engine as most other traditional fighters is like saying that Basketball is not a ball game because it in its essence is not the same as football.

While streetfighter, MvC, Virtua Fighter et.c. in their cores are fighting games that's just what they are, fighting games. They are not 'the only' fighting games. Just because smash isn't based on street fighter it doesn't make it unfit to be a fighting game.

Most other fighting games seem to have a beef with melee because it's the only fighting game that stands out and like to call it a party game or a platform game instead. Using stupid examples as smash players turning off items or banning certain stages and the intent of the game to not be competetive as examples on why it's not a fighting game.

And of course, most people find it to be a kiddygame due to the graphics and the characters.

Guess people shouldn't acknowledge Leauge of Legends as a competetive game due to it's cartoon graphics right? (I prefer HoN infront of LoL for that matter though)

Massive

Smash Champion
We're not the problem. Go make a post on SRK defending melee and see how long it takes for it to turn into an insult ****-storm.

Almost everyone I know in the KC crew (and the midwest, for that matter) plays other fighting games too, and enjoys them. It's people in the FGC that don't like us not the other way around.

Coincidentally, the most adamant haters of smash are also hilariously bad at melee.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Also for the most part hilariously bad at their own Traditional Fighting Games. Most decent players that aren't ******** don't spew ignorant **** about games they don't understand.

CableCho57

Smash Lord
the only reason I would want melee to be associated with fgc is because they have legit annual tourneys with legit sponsors and to have melee be a part of that would be dope.

The Star King

Smash Hero
OK, I only read the first paragraph but I'm going to tell you right now what caused the "complete and utter split" is nothing more than how different Smash is from traditional fighting games. That's it. People hate to see that kind of change to something they love. Why do so many Melee players go out of their way to hate on Brawl? They love Melee, and see changes they don't agree with applied to its sequel, so they hate it. Same with Smash's considerable departure from traditional mechanics of fighting games.

And of course, I'm not talking about all people. Some are more tolerant than others. I'm just saying the haters will always be there.

They won't accept us. It's as simple as that. And it's not a big deal.

Pengie

Smash Lord
It also has to do with how there was a lot of bad blood between MLG and Evo after they partnered up in 05 and Evo got screwed over by MLG to the point where there was a **** MLG chant and because smash was a large part of MLG at that time, some of the hate was directed towards smash. Strangely enough though, when Melee was at Evo 2k7 there was a pretty positive reception and it was even referred to as Marvel jr (side note: Marvel 2 was seen as the holy grail in the American Fighting game scene at this time so this was fairly high praise) in one of the post Evo write ups that I read. After that, Evo added Brawl on to the 08 line up and then the whole items/CPU debacle kinda put smash in a bad light in their eyes. As of recently though there is a fairly positive opinion towards Melee on SRK with a lot of hate being tossed at Brawl. Also tournaments like Apex and Civil War 4 show that there has been a recent understanding on both sides to try and come together.

Kal

Smash Champion
In defense of the "traditional fight game" community, most Smashers started off rather young, and for many people the stereotype of the young, annoying, immature high school kid stuck. For the most part, though, The Star King is spot on. Though complaints about Smashers generally being quite scrubby do hold some water.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
OK, I only read the first paragraph but I'm going to tell you right now what caused the "complete and utter split" is nothing more than how different Smash is from traditional fighting games. That's it. People hate to see that kind of change to something they love. Why do so many Melee players go out of their way to hate on Brawl? They love Melee, and see changes they don't agree with applied to its sequel, so they hate it. Same with Smash's considerable departure from traditional mechanics of fighting games.
the difference is that brawl is bad

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
This is the truth.

No (serious) Fighting Games, nor is Melee in the same position Brawl is- where the game was legitimately very poor and a competitively inept. People hate on Brawl because it's terrible if you stand it beside its predecessors, or even beside most Fighting games out there.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
It also has to do with how there was a lot of bad blood between MLG and Evo after they partnered up in 05 and Evo got screwed over by MLG to the point where there was a **** MLG chant and because smash was a large part of MLG at that time, some of the hate was directed towards smash.
tell me more, i've never heard of this :c

The Star King

Smash Hero
Ha. Could this post be more ironic?

That's your opinion. Those who love traditional fighting games would say the same about Melee. Ne?

See, people stone-set in their belief that Brawl is objectively bad are only reinforcing my point. The fighting game community is as convinced that Smash is bad as you are that Brawl is bad. Have you guys ever considered that perhaps Brawl players see the Melee community the same way we see the FG community? We only want acceptance... and then we turn around and hate on Brawl. I'm sure they think the same thing we think about the way the FG community acts: "We're not asking them to play the game. All we want is acceptance. Why are they so hateful?"

The irony of posts like yours and UltiMario's being here is so rich it hurts, considering the thread's topic.

And no, I don't like/play Brawl myself.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman

That's your opinion. Those who love traditional fighting games would say the same about Melee. Ne?

See, people stone-set in their belief that Brawl is objectively bad are only reinforcing my point. The fighting game community is as convinced that Smash is bad as you are that Brawl is bad. Have you guys ever considered that perhaps Brawl players see the Melee community the same way we see the FG community? We only want acceptance... and then we turn around and hate on Brawl. I'm sure they think the same thing we think about the way the FG community acts: "We're not asking them to play the game. All we want is acceptance. Why are they so hateful?"

The irony of posts like yours and UltiMario's being here is so rich it hurts, considering the thread's topic.

This is absolutely true. I think the hate between the Brawl and Melee communities is as moronic as between the FGC and Melee, and while most a lot of the Melee community does have sound understanding of Brawl's differences / flaws, it is no reason for the hate.

Xyzz

Smash Champion
In my (more or less) humble opinion Brawl is a boring, dumbed down version of melee.
That being said, it is evidently perfectly fit for being played in a competitive settings, since the best player wins most of the time, and I couldn't care less about what games people play (they could be playing mario cart or sth and I wouldn't mind :) ).
And oh well, the other fg players ... it's not my problem if they are missing out on the best game ever created :D

Pengie

Smash Lord
tell me more, i've never heard of this :c
http://shoryuken.com/2011/12/04/where-esports-leagues-go-wrong-with-fighters/

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/mlg-stream-sets-a-dangerous-precedent.157294/page-2#post-6701635

EDIT: On the topic of Brawl hate = FGC Hate:

Not really; most Melee player who hate Brawl (myself included) do so because of how they played Brawl and overall did not enjoy it. Add on the backlash brought on because of the whole expectation vs reality and most of the hatred towards Brawl is informed by players' own experiences with the games. When FG players (read: stream monsters) hate on Melee they just blindly hate anything that isn't the game they enjoy watching. They hardly play the games that they demand so when they complain about smash its just them frothing at the mouth because they can. Both kinds of hate are pretty funny so whatever.

The Star King

Smash Hero
EDIT: On the topic of Brawl hate = FGC Hate:

Not really; most Melee player who hate Brawl (myself included) do so because of how they played Brawl and overall did not enjoy it.
Maybe Fighting Game fans don't enjoy Melee. Gasp!

Add on the backlash brought on because of the whole expectation vs reality and most of the hatred towards Brawl is informed by players' own experiences with the games.
That's kind of what I was talking about. The "expectation vs reality" thing is basically "I don't want what I love to be changed in ways I don't agree with". I don't see the difference between hating because you think Brawl made dumb changes to Melee, and hating because you think Smash made dumb changes to fighting games.

When FG players (read: stream monsters) hate on Melee they just blindly hate anything that isn't the game they enjoy watching. They hardly play the games that they demand so when they complain about smash its just them frothing at the mouth because they can. Both kinds of hate are pretty funny so whatever.
I see plenty of people hating on Brawl because it's boring to watch, too. And there's a lot of Melee spectators who also hardly play the game competitively (like me :troll:) and would hate on Brawl anyways.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Star King, making connections through logic since Nov 2007.

Can't we just all get along, in a combined hate for the people who suck at our games and call us tourney***s?

Gimpyfish, we need you to rep us.

The Great Gonzales

Smash Ace
ive read your post completly, and before i say anything let me mention that althougth im better at figthing games i go to plenty of smash tourneys because i simply love the game. The biggest beef the FGC have with smash is that its not a true figther for all intents and purposes, does that mean that it doest have strategy and depth?.

No of course not, while Smash migth not have true Yomi it does have plenty of baiting,spacing,guesswork, and good set-ups. However its different from the type of mindgames that you get to use in figthing games. Here is where the problem arises, alot of smashers dont play any other figther, theres exepctions like me and a couple i know, overrall the trend is that you either play smash or figthing games . That creates a problem because you cant see the differences unless you play both.

Then you have smashers that go into FGC forums like SRK and say that smash is fighting game just the same as any other, and that creates lots of friction. What people can do is just realize that the games are different and just play. Smash is a great game even if its not a true fighting game. This is what we need to do Smashers stop insisting smash is a figthing game, and FGC stop saying smash is a trash game with no strategy involved.

Spyro

Smash Ace
[COLLAPSE="Star King's post"]

[/COLLAPSE]
Star King really did hit the nail on the head right here.

:phone:

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
ive read your post completly, and before i say anything let me mention that althougth im better at figthing games i go to plenty of smash tourneys because i simply love the game. The biggest beef the FGC have with smash is that its not a true figther for all intents and purposes, does that mean that it doest have strategy and depth?.

No of course not, while Smash migth not have true Yomi it does have plenty of baiting,spacing,guesswork, and good set-ups. However its different from the type of mindgames that you get to use in figthing games. Here is where the problem arises, alot of smashers dont play any other figther, theres exepctions like me and a couple i know, overrall the trend is that you either play smash or figthing games . That creates a problem because you cant see the differences unless you play both.

Then you have smashers that go into FGC forums like SRK and say that smash is fighting game just the same as any other, and that creates lots of friction. What people can do is just realize that the games are different and just play. Smash is a great game even if its not a true fighting game. This is what we need to do Smashers stop insisting smash is a figthing game, and FGC stop saying smash is a trash game with no strategy involved.
While this topic is not really for the discussion of whether Smash is a fighting game or not, and I agree that people shouldn't jump on other forums and ask for acceptance, you're point about Smash not having true Yomi, which I understand to mean having to know what your opponent is going to do, is just simply not true. The fact that there is no true definition for a fighting game means that it's really irrelenvant whether people believe it is or isn't, and shouldn't be shunned because of it any more then the logic behind Soul Calibur not being a fighter because it has ring outs.

And for the record Gonzales, I've been playing SF and SFxT for a while. We should play at the next tournament we are both at :)

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I think you should all let a smash professor teach you about smash as a TFG
I have thought of most of these things myself but there's something about a guy who hasn't played any other fighter competitive nor being very prominent in this one, trying to expose the FGC as...not a good idea. So I'll let germ have the honours.
http://www.genesisdbr.com/blog/?p=78#comments

I just always felt that it was weird to not be accepted, I mean we don't have set combos sure but just because pressing B shoots a laser doesn't mean we can rely on that one button to use lasers effectively, we do just as many inputs but we do them to make our moves faster, get into better positions, get out of bad situations while attacking.I could easily turn it on them by saying you press some buttons to shoot a hadouken but then what, they dodge and your left open for a few seconds because you can't cancel it and waveland away. But I digress for reals.

Corigames

Smash Hero
In the most simplest terms I can put it:
Fighting games are generally action games between very few opponents (2-4) in close combat.
Traditional fighters have victory conditions based off of depleting all of your opponents health without that happening to you. They generally also feature complex input commands for increasing move sets without increasing control pad buttons, special bars that grant players greater power for meeting certain conditions, a Rock/Paper/Scissors blocking system between high, medium, and low hits, and minimalist stages that only vary in terms of theme and not mechanics.

Smash and few other games are fighting games, they just aren't traditional fighting games. You could also classify Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Naruto, etc. under this classification: Non-traditional fighters.

Hope that helps.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
I personally think that we belong completely separate and distinct from the traditional fighting game community. Not because the games are all that relevantly different, but because our communities are. APEX killed any chance of our growing together, and it is best that we let them go without trying to beg them for their friendship. We can grow just as we have, through the bonds of friendship and the general interest of having a good time playing an awesome game.

We don't need them and they don't want us. It's okay we can let go. =]

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Let's make best friends with pokemon community instead. We can share tournaments with them seeing as they get more exposure than us. Of course, that's only because Nintendo likes them more.

Willing to pay for their trips out to world championships...and hold their world championships...

The Star King

Smash Hero
I actually think that's far more likely to happen than with Fighting Game Community. The Pokemon community is pretty similar to us, has no reason to hate us, and a lot of people are involved in both.

chaosx522

Smash Rookie
Its not a a problem with the core tournament and professional community, its a problem with the scrubs who think there badasses because the did there first wavedash and dumb****s who think they're duke nukem because they did a aircombo in mvc3

Kal

Smash Champion
Those exist in every game. I've met random Chess players that think they're the ****ing fusion dance of Fischer and Kasparov, despite not knowing basic openings or Chess theory. No one should make a judgment about a community based on that sort of player.

Kal

Smash Champion
I don't really know what I was trying to say either.

ZaXXoR

Smash Journeyman
Who needs Fighting games anyways, it's a shame Melee can't get more spotlight, but it happens to alot of games, and alot of people.

Spyro

Smash Ace
Who cares about the FGC, and what would it really benefit us getting closer to them anyway. And I like what Krisp said earlier, we should get closer with the Pokemon Community instead, it would benefit us more than if we tried to get closer to the FGC.

:phone:

Top Bottom