• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training regimens?

VishapSlayer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-6725-0047
To begin, I had learned most aspects of tech skill a while ago, but very recently started applying it effectively in actual play. For instance, my experience tells me consistently wavedashing for proper and tight spacing, throwing in some mix-ups with aerials and empty hops for good measure, works wonders on baiting out the enemy.

That being said, there's still probably a vast number of material I still need to work on (before joining the ranks of those who have, as it is said, embraced t3h ph1r3).

Which is why I ask, what do you all believe are the most fundamental tools and technical functions that one should consistently practice on their own? Basically, what do you guys do for training regimens, if at all?

Hope this thread may help other and eventual Roy mains - thanks in advance for your time, all.

Acorn

Smash Cadet
Well, I'm just learning him but I'll tell you what I usually practice when I'm playing alone.

Even though the AI doesn't DI, I have found that trying to combo characters of different weights/fall speeds is useful to learn what moves can combo into what and at what percents. For example, against someone like Game and Watch, at around kill percent a dash attack puts them in the perfect place for a bair or nair (slightly over your head and behind you). Even if I never directly go for a dash attack > bair kill, I have seen lots of benefit from just having a really good idea of different knock back heights and distances, since some of his are a little goofy.

Also, I've been playing around with his forward b to learn the fastest/slowest timings allowed for inputs (in the air, on shields etc) and the different possible uses of each permutation. It's fun to make really hard reads on someone who has bad recovery and have them land right in front of a >>>V DED. It might only work once, but it looks cool that one time :)

I'm not really practicing tech skill, but he's not exactly a space animal either. If I do practice technical stuff, it's not character specific. Just like wavelanding and whatever. But I do like to spam shffl nair as fast as possible because that move is amazing.

I'm interested to see what other people think about this. I'm mainly used to Falco, where I could spend days just practicing new and faster tech.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
i recommend trying to get extremely mobile with your character. just do handwarmers, and DD around the stage and platforms with WDs thrown in as well as WDs OOS. Practice doing things like edge canceling and WD to the ledge. Do uair strings and get used to positioning your character effectively out of a run/dash and doing aerials out of the run. practice the timing of certain attacks to get used to when the lag is up, and you can practice chain grabs too. The whole goal is to build up useful muscle memory that will make it all the easier for you to apply your mind in game while being confident that your tech skill will carry you through the match.

VishapSlayer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-6725-0047
Understood guys, thank you very much. =]
I've been making use of the uair string really recently and am so far very pleased with the results. I'm starting to make my use of Roy's toolkit better and better - barring the fact that I'm still not sure how to implement DED as a shield-pressure move. But I guess I can keep on practicing and consult a DED thread for that, hahah.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
you can use a spaced DED for pressure, and if you get the timing right, it can be used to prevent shield grabs if your opponents timing isnt too good or they arent expecting it. If you are playing against someone who understands the timing of it though, you can easily get shield grabbed if mis-spaced. Roys shield pressure options arent too solid outside of spacing attacks. I dont think he has any attack sequences that are advantageous on shield. unfortunately its not an area where roy shines. If you get good with the spacing though, you can still hit with the sweetspot of his blade while staying out of range of most shield grabs.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Roy has so many different hit boxes on some of his moves (like his dair) that sometimes I'll play against the CPU and only use one of his moves for the duration of the match. I will throw out other moves/grabs on occasion to refresh and kill if the move I'm practicing can't kill. This helped me a ton and now when I play Roy, I'll intuitively know what part of his attack will hit depending on where I am relative to the opponent.

Last edited:

VishapSlayer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2079-6725-0047
G13_Flux: I see your point - I've been playing a greater variety of opponents recently and most cases show that shield pressure's not too reliable with Roy. Knowing when to go for grabs while the enemy's in shield works wonders half the time, however. (talk about the range... >=] )

Sprawlers: I've never thought about that regimen - I'll definitely try it, thanks!

Last edited:

BathSalts

Smash Rookie
One good way to practice your timing on falling upairs is to plug in a second controller, get the enemy (preferably someone small like ness/lucas) on the ground and try and scoop him up with a shffled upair

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
With any character in a fast paced game like melee and PM, movement is probably the most important thing to practice for solo. Know how to dash dance around moves, know ur combinations between dashing and wavedashing. Know ur movement tricks and baiting moves, on the ground, in the air, and in combination with platforms (practice running away/wavedashing away out of your crazy string of dash dances, and practice how to get back in asap once u know u dodge something) *it helps to practice while imagining what could be happening, like shadowboxying (mentioned on DrPP's guide) Other useful things are, short hop and then on reaction waveland on flatform into an approach or just fair or empty hop waveland back etc. Ledge dashes of course are super important. Wavedash out of Shield. Try to brainstorm what options you have for all parts of the game, especially the neutral.

The other thing to practice is combos. Combos also require good movement so the first half still applies.
Know how ur moves cover options, know the timings (ex. on what timing of upair can you cover all tech options on platform) Control ur spacing to combo (ex. make sure u can chain dairs without the meteor so u can combo) Know ur options for comboing. Roy has a lot of kill moves. See what can combo into the kill moves (bair, nair, neutral B, ftilt, downsmash, F-smash, upsmash, side B)

If your neutral game (movement) and combo game are super solid, then u will have a very solid game once u practice mindgaming on real people and learn matchups.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
Practicing by yourself is definitely something i'm trying to figure out more myself. Mostly i feel like just working on mobility, understanding the comboing/juggling weight of other characters, and knowing the timings and spacing of your moves and combos. A few things that i like to focus on or do in my games against CPU or in training:
  • Practice mobility with wavedashing, dash dancing, and SHFFL approaches for all your aerials. This is obviously the first thing I always do, it warms up the hands and keeps me mentally grounded on the feel of my moves before i try to play against anyone or AI or w/e.
  • Comboing/juggling just comes with playing and practicing different arrays of combos and move orders. I personally play against lvl 7 computers since they like to throw in grabs and other tech to make it more difficult, but aren't really annoying with reaction timings (being an AI and all).
  • The Biggest thing is setting up limitations or requirements for myself in a game or in training. Today i started doing this specifically where i control the CPU starting percentage and try to figure out combos or killing possibilities. To elaborate more: (these are all in training mode obviously)
  • 6 and 7 are typically the main two that i'll be doing to emulate a real match setting
  1. combo options from grab at ~0%,
  2. combo options from grab at 40/45%. (worth noting that some moves really work better than others at this percentage. uptilt for instance combos/juggles like a mother**** for a few hits at about 40%. If you try this below 40% they'll drop way way too fast and can easily tech out of it after the first hit. Utilts easily put them in a place to get to combo into the rest of your aerials, which can lead into what point #6 is practicing for)
  3. combo options from grab ~75-80%
  4. mixing up starting in grab or approach combos and tech chasing into a grab then rinse and repeat (focusing REALLY hard to always get them in to grab and not getting hit, keeping it really fluid. If i didnt get the grab setup it doesnt count).
  5. On FD ill start at the edge with the CPU at a low enough % and just practice edgeguarding them with different possibilities. spacing their rolls to grab them and throw them back off, space their recovery to Ftilt them back off, Fsmash, catching their missed sweetspots with Dtilts and either nB, Fsmash, Nair, or Bair sweetspot from front hitbox. If they make it back and regain any control immediately reset % and start over. Also, I've just recently been trying to incorporate Roys third up hit on DED since it spikes XX^. So include that also with the Dtilt popup or missed recovery options near the edge, connecting it is way easier than any Dair attempt and is much more reliable if you can get the fast timing down.
  6. On thing ive started doing today was really trying to focus on what hit% my opponent is at and trying to end the stock sooner than later. Been lacking in the ability to close out stocks at higher percents at times (crazy i know). So what ill do is set CPU to 70% and practicing trying to get them offstage and aggressively combo to finish them off as soon as i can without getting above 140%. (since the CPU % resets every time to 75 you can even make a game out of it to see how many kills you get before you die)
  7. On a similar note i put the CPU at a really low 0-25% and practice to just get a kill as fast as i can exclusively through aggressive edgeguarding, but more working in the approach practice and comboing combined. This time ill try to kill them before they can get to high percentage, so ~70%

Last edited:

S4earthbros

Smash Rookie
I practice SHFFLAFA --> SHFFLAUA --> SHFFLBA ---> SHFFLDA (Repeat)
Really helps with hand maneuvers. For me anyway

Top Bottom