• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transcript of the SBR "MK Podcast" (Sonic section)//Steak Break Room:Sonic Discussion

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
and i bet you he STILL hasnt been to any tourneys
i wonder what would happen if he played a match with seibrik and afro....

JayBee

Smash Champion
NNID
jamesbrownjrva
we know how good sonic can be, at least the ones who took the most time do, its just that the public doesn't know, and thier too busy with other characters to care much. But if he's not represented, its because we aren't doing too good of a job changing the opinions with our play. If you think about it, the last 2 months, were the best sonics got in the tourney scene, and yes i think its bound to continue, but compared to March with D3 and meta and Snake, not so much time passed.

Once people who play (the non steak ones) change thier sonic's gameplay with the now loads of info we have today, things will change. We have to give props to the dudes in the sonic boards who didn't give up and managed to discover the foundation of legitamate steak. not only was this not developed (the main go-to threads here) but it took longer because...its sonic (is that ironic, maybe?).

brain freeze, I'll think of something else to say. later...

R4ZE

Smash Ace
whats an tournament?

your right guys, I'm too slow..

Afro sucks. He is just another tier *****. Any1 can master a character who has 95% killing moves, 4x more campability than any other character and spammability and weight on his side. BTW he is like a 15 yr old gungan who thinks he deserves to win at everything. He isnt even respectable. My friend R!SE beat him in a 2v2 match when it was down to the two 1 v1, and he was getting all worked up over losing.

Afro could beat me snake vs sonic, but then again. a handicpaped little girl probly could if she was informed how to hit up and A simultaneiously.

I don't know or care who sebrik is.

oh yea, btw you guys are right. SP knows a lot about sonic, and everythign he says was completely accurate. He probobly knows 10x more than i do about sonic. the tiers are perfect the way they are. ... just wanted to post that to retract my previous post because i am apperently wrong and stupid.

Tenki

Smash Hero
:ohwell:
whats an tournament?

your right guys, I'm too slow..

Afro sucks. He is just another tier *****. Any1 can master a character who has 95% killing moves, 4x more campability than any other character and spammability and weight on his side. BTW he is like a 15 yr old gungan who thinks he deserves to win at everything. He isnt even respectable. My friend R!SE beat him in a 2v2 match when it was down to the two 1 v1, and he was getting all worked up over losing.

Afro could beat me snake vs sonic, but then again. a handicpaped little girl probly could if she was informed how to hit up and A simultaneiously.

I don't know or care who sebrik is.

oh yea, btw you guys are right. SP knows a lot about sonic, and everythign he says was completely accurate. He probobly knows 10x more than i do about sonic. the tiers are perfect the way they are. ... just wanted to post that to retract my previous post because i am apperently wrong and stupid.
You really sound like you're bawwing/being bitter just because people disagree with you.

Most tier whores actually do suck though lol. When I played at a campus-wide tourney recently, the other half of the brackets were all MK/Snake/Dedede. The best player there was a Kirby main, and he was my toughest fight there, and almost knocked me out of the tourney. I got to the last matches, and the Dededes/Snakes I fought were comparably easier to fight against than the Kirby player, because they pretty much piggybacked on their character strengths to win rather than superior play.

Just because some people disagree with you doesn't necessarily mean we're flocking to make love with the other SBR. >_>

1. Seibrik (Dedede/MK)
2. Afro (Snake/Wario)
3. Hungrybox (Dedede/Olimar)
4. HRNut (Everyone)
5. CO18 (Dedede/MK)
5. GDX (Diddy Kong)
7. Lambchops (Snake)
7. Rx- (MK)
I think he is either the best or in the running for the best Dedede in Florida.
either way, one of the top D3's in FL.

R4ZE

Smash Ace
Well first off, you guys were not just disagreeing. stop poking at me personally. I have been to tournaments.

BTW the funny thing about that tenki... that list you just posted. Me and fearless are pretty good friends, we both are from the same town.. I hangout with him weekly... and we met at a tournament.

I'm sorry i just don't know how else to respond without flaming you guys.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
We were just pointing out how what you said has already been known...

And yes, tier whores are stupid. And, I don't know if you read this whole thread, but we had quite a debate with the SBR. We even got our Character Discussion thread closed because it was such a horrible write up and flamed them to death. Thus, this is what happens when you don't pay our boards a visit once in awhile.

EDIT: Oh, and not ALL people who use top/high tier characters are "tier whores". It really does boil down to player skill "lrn2player" but at the same time, if both players are equal in skill, the higher tier character usually has a higher chance of winning...of course match-ups and what-not get taken into account but you get my point, no?

DOUBLE EDIT: SBR > SBR

:093:

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
R4ZE, quit being dumb.

Sonic boards, quit being dumb.

Playing the best characters in the game does not make you a tier *****, it makes you a logical player. They play the best characters because it optimizes their chances of winning, which is a completely respectable and logical thing to do. If none of the top tier characters "fit" you (as in, you're just bad at all of them/not interested), then you keep moving down the tier list until one does fit you, as it's the most logical thing to do. The fact that many of these to tier players are bad does not invalidate the reasoning behind choosing these characters, nor should it invite such insulting labels on the group as a whole.

If you willingly choose to cripple yourself by maining a bad character (comparatively of course), then that is your choice and you obviously have your own motivations behind it (fun!), but to ridicule those who do not follow your footsteps...is just stupid.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
R4ZE, quit being dumb.

Playing the best characters in the game does not make you a tier *****, it makes you a logical player. They play the best characters because it optimizes their chances of winning, which is a completely respectable and logical thing to do. If none of the top tier characters "fit" you (as in, you're just bad at all of them/not interested), then you keep moving down the tier list until one does fit you, as it's the most logical thing to do.

If you willingly choose to cripple yourself by maining a bad character (comparatively of course), then that is your choice and you obviously have your own motivations behind it (fun!), but to ridicule those who do not follow your footsteps...is just stupid.
filthy hobbit lies

Tenki

Smash Hero
R4ZE, quit being dumb.

Playing the best characters in the game does not make you a tier *****, it makes you a logical player. They play the best characters because it optimizes their chances of winning, which is a completely respectable and logical thing to do. If none of the top tier characters "fit" you (as in, you're just bad at all of them/not interested), then you keep moving down the tier list until one does fit you, as it's the most logical thing to do.

Of course, it's logical to use the best characters in the game.
But it still stands that a large majority of people who do this don't really have skills to match their character. I mean, come on, who hasn't, at one point or another, looked up "best _______ to use in ____________" (in any game, situation, etc) and chose it just because everyone else said it was the best?

As much fun as I had toying with people in the finals, it was still a disappointment to be able to play around in a final match and still win with an epic U-throw kill. I was expecting more of a desparate tooth-and-nail fight to the death :ohwell:

edit:
and by tier-whores, I'm pretty sure we're referring to the bad players who try to do good with GOOD characters.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I second what Tenki just said...even though I believe that's along the lines of what I said in my previous post. (Check the EDIT plz)

:093:

R4ZE

Smash Ace
im not upset about it, but its true that players will have an advantage vs me if i play sonic and they play snake. I'm not complaining about it, im just ackknowledging that i will lose.

you know what... i don't need to say anything more here. From here on out r4ze mains mk just like the rest of the world.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
R4Z3, I'm proud of you. But you don't main him. You know you can't. He's just the puppet you use to win. You still main Sonic even though he's ****

:080:

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
edit:
and by tier-whores, I'm pretty sure we're referring to the bad players who try to do good with GOOD characters.
The problem is that average-above average players are sometimes also grouped with them.

Ever heard the phrase "well, you only beat me because you play (insert high tier character?)"

I heard it all the time in melee and it was freakin' annoying.

Why do we suddenly need to discriminate based on what character they play? Couldn't we just call them bad players? Bad players are bad regardless of what character they use.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
The problem is that average-above average players are sometimes also grouped with them.

Ever heard the phrase "well, you only beat me because you play (insert high tier character?)"

I heard it all the time in melee and it was freakin' annoying.

Why do we suddenly need to discriminate based on what character they play? Couldn't we just call them bad players? Bad players are bad regardless of what character they use.
Bad Sonics and bad MK's are very different and can not be measured. You might played both a bit, be decent with MK and still suck balls with Sonic.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Bad Sonics and bad MK's are very different and can not be measured. You might played both a bit, be decent with MK and still suck balls with Sonic.
If you're a better player when playing a better character....then you are a better player. Skill is not something that can really be measured. You can only measure wins and losses, and based on that we try to make an estimate. If one player wins more often than another....then they are more skilled. It's as simple as that. If you win more with MK, then you are more skilled with MK

darkNES386

Smash Lord
Ok, this argument is wayyyy off topic from where it started.

This thread originated from a concern of a lack of knowledge about Sonic. Our fear was that the general smash public was being told skewed information about Sonic's weaknesses. Captain Falcon's discussion week had far more interaction between players and Sonic's was based off of one post made near the virtual start and then was simply used to sum up how he played. A summary provided by a player who's only experience with Sonic is downtilting to force an anticipated ("telegraphed") attack.

This thread was not a "why are we bottom tier? :(" We have no problem acknowledgeing that on paper Sonic has many massive disadvantages to most characters and that his strengths only can be utilized by smart players.

That doesn't mean all Sonic mains are smart and all Meta knight mains are ********. It simply means that the rewards for playing as Sonic require more work and thus many players lose interest in fighting as him.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
dark sonic, you are dumb, i have every right to john my azz off about people beating me with MK
and you telling me the i cant is just as bad as you think i am for johning about tier whores,

real men play with their favorite character.

if they dont have a favorite character they should play the character they are best with. if they are not even trying any others and just automatically playing a character just because they heard that they are the best character, they deserve to be ridiculed.

now if their fav. character happens to be MK, or if they play around with everyone and determine for themselves that they would like to play MK then thats fine, despite the fact that i will john as hard as humanly possible about him. thats just what i do, i john about MK/snake.
so if they can deal with the redicule, than go ahead and play MK, but if they get mad and switch because of the massive johns, than thats fine by me either way

Tenki

Smash Hero
real men play with their favorite character.
After seeing Pikachu's Chain Grab over Fox I have to say these.. this unmanly tactics should be banned from honorable play. Abusing a game flaw shouldn't be used like this and any player with some honor should not use this to win. Really, how can someone feel good by winning like this? Why a fox main has to change his character against a pikachu because people would abuse this detestable game bug? The same way as Infinite Dimensional Cape is banned, and some tactics like doing damage and running away until the time goes out wouln't probably be allowed on tournaments... detestable tactics like chain grabbing should be banned... It really breaks the game.. it really hurts Brawl as a game... It goes against the competitive spirit... Do not tell me that you can counterpick.. as I think that is also unmanly...you should be able to use any character against the other without a matchup like 9:1 because of a silly bad programmed chain grab.. You can be sure Sakurai didn't wanted this to be in the game.. A tactic that can be used like that over and over and it is so easy and broken should be banned for tournament play..
Who is with me?
The parallels. :d

Tenki

Smash Hero
Did someone actually say that? LMAO awesome.
Go the blog section and read his posts.

9__9

and daKID:
If your fist goes parallel with my face, it'd be the equivalent of a miss.

if my fist went perpendicular with your face, it'd be a direct hit.

PS:
has anyone been messing around with pivot walk/pivot shield lately?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well what happens since i was parallel with your mom last night?
heres a hint, my **** went into her at about a 30 degree angle

infomon

Smash Scientist
PS:
has anyone been messing around with pivot walk/pivot shield lately?
I've been waiting for you to figure it all out and make a big epic post about how it works, so I didn't have to spend all the tedious time figuring out the inane tech skill required to get it to work. :laugh:

Tenki

Smash Hero
I've been waiting for you to figure it all out and make a big epic post about how it works, so I didn't have to spend all the tedious time figuring out the inane tech skill required to get it to work. :laugh:
I haven't played smash in over a week lol.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Just use your incredible brain and decide how the tech works, well enough to know all the details so you can explain it all to us. :)

Tenki

Smash Hero
Well, I think I explained how it worked before the pivot is what gives Sonic the boost - only if he's moving forward at max walking speed (the boost comes from when he hops up to turn around - but it's got IASA frames to things like shield)

I'm just wondering if anyone's incorporated it into their games. You can start holding A from tilts, rolls, landing lag, airdodge, and if you're technical enough, I heard you can even start holding A from shield drop lag.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Where be mah Tenki at. I need some CHEASE

EDIT:
Well, I think I explained how it worked before the pivot is what gives Sonic the boost - only if he's moving forward at max walking speed (the boost comes from when he hops up to turn around - but it's got IASA frames to things like shield)

I'm just wondering if anyone's incorporated it into their games. You can start holding A from tilts, rolls, landing lag, airdodge, and if you're technical enough, I heard you can even start holding A from shield drop lag.
Too much trouble. I'll wait for someone to figure something cooler out.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Pivot Walking - I'm not sure how useful it is for actual approaches, but one concrete use I found for it with Sonic is to do a pivot shield.

[holding A] > [Walk in a direction] > [hit C-stick up/back]+[Shield]

This makes you slide in the 'forward' direction longer than your running slide with a shield up the whole time.

Positive traits/uses:
- It's useful for breaking through or counteracting some moves' shieldpush.
- It also sets you up to B-throw in the 'forward' direction if you pass through your opponent you (some aerials)
- Invade their spacing if they try to retreat an aerial
- Sets up for "forward" B-airs out of shield. SH F-air OoS doesn't lose effectiveness as a punisher because the back works just as well as the front.

Negative traits:
- Facing backwards: not a good move for 'forward shield grabs', so if you're planning to grab as a punisher, you can't rely on it, unless your opponent is moving forward during the attack.
- Technical difficulty/button limitation (??): You're holding A the whole time (well, up until C-stick). Arguably, you can just release and re-press A if you see your opponent starting to do something else.

Yes, I am changing topics <3

Top Bottom