• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transitioning from PM to Melee

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
Usually I play Fox in PM and I'm looking to transition to Melee and I was wondering if you guys could give me any tips or pointers transitioning. What's different between PM Fox and Melee Fox? Game environment differences?

I tried Fox in Melee against bots to test my playstyle and I'm having a hard time short hopping with Fox, which in turn affects SHDL'ing (which I cannot get down consistently in Melee).

I understand the idea that PM is "easier" and I definitely feel it when comparing both games.

Catchy

Smash Cadet
Learn the jump squat, learn upsmash kill percentages, running upsmash, laser more.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Jumpsquat is same, for example wd and aerial timings. Only thing that is different is that short hops are checked 1 frame later, making them easier.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
In PM it's enough that you've released jump button on the 1st aerial frame, in melee you have to have let it on the last grounded frame. So in melee with fox you can only press x for max 2 frames, in pm 3 frames.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Still kinda new to this but what's a jump squat?
The squatting animation you do before you leave the ground when you jump. Its duration varies between characters, which is why different characters have different timings for wavedash inputs. It only happens for grounded jumps, not aerial ones (you just jump immediately if you're in the air).

Here's a list of jumpsquat durations for each character (or technically a list of the first airborne frame after starting a jump for each character ): http://old.clashtournaments.com/ct-mew2kings-info-dump-super-smash-bros-melee/#40

Last edited:
Top Bottom