• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Translating the Latin lyrics

Yo'ster

Smash Rookie
I've been thinking for some time now that if the Latin lyrics in the new Super Smash Bros. Brawl theme are translated we might discover some clue to the game. Can anyone translate the Latin lyrics or have a way to translate it?

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
I do Latin! But I just can't hear the words they sing. IT's really hard... :cry:
If someone had the actual song written down I might be able to translate it. :)

psyt

Smash Journeyman
are you sure its latin? im wondering if its just like sounds more then specific words

Dragon Jedi0

Smash Rookie
No, it's definitly Latin.

Smash Bros. Dojo.com said:
The main theme was created for us by none other than famed Final Fantasy composer, Nobuo Uematsu!

Additionally, opera singer Ken Nishikiori has also participated in this project on vocals.

...And as a special service to readers of this site, I can say that the game's music will be performed by a full orchestra.

It will be a deluxe chorus complete with lyrics in Latin.

It's of a slightly different disposition than previous Smash Bros. games, wouldn't you say?

I also want to change the atmosphere of the game itself a little, too. But you'll just have to look forward to how I'll be doing that.
http://www.smashbros.com/en/music/index.html

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
It's Latin with really bad pronunciation. Well on the official SSBB site they mention how its Latin. They could be lying... :ohwell: I'll see what I can do. But since I have exams currently, it'll be like 2 weeks before I can even translate it...BAH! :psycho:

Ippius

Smash Journeyman
Sorry about the double post but I think that the theme song is most definitely poorly translated Latin.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, if its poorly translated, then its just a song. no secret message required. but if there is one, I will give everyone who has posted in this thread a free online win when SSBB comes out.

IstariAsuka

Smash Cadet
If someone can post the lyrics I can give a shot at translating it. My latin education is ongoing still, but I'm sure there are enough of us on here that we could get a decent translation pounded out between us.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
So this mean that all , ALL SONGS will be done by an orchestra?

Dont get me wrong......... my fav tunes from smash melee are corneria, fountain of dreams and the intro because i just love orchestral arrangements........... but what about songs like "DK rap" and the alternate song from Final destination, which is a progressive rock arrangement of the original Melee orchestrated intro?....

well if they manage to arrange all of them with live instruments an orchestral sound............. ILL DEFINITELY CRY

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
We can know everything there is to know about the pronunciation of Latin, taht doesnt chagne the fact that many people won't pronounce it right either way.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
lol @ "latin being pronounced improperly"

News flash: Nobody knows how it's supposed to be pronounced. Scholars just made their best guesses and agreed on some general rules. See: INRI (Iesvs Nazarenvs Rex Ivdaeorvm)

Anyways, the entire point of singing in latin is to enjoy the sound of the vocals, and not fret over decoding the actual message. See: Corn on the Kabob

The music is a win. If you translate it, it will take away its mystery, so bugger that.

Dragon Jedi0

Smash Rookie
Hydde said:
So this mean that all , ALL SONGS will be done by an orchestra?

Dont get me wrong......... my fav tunes from smash melee are corneria, fountain of dreams and the intro because i just love orchestral arrangements........... but what about songs like "DK rap" and the alternate song from Final destination, which is a progressive rock arrangement of the original Melee orchestrated intro?....

well if they manage to arrange all of them with live instruments an orchestral sound............. ILL DEFINITELY CRY

Me too! As for the progressive rock tracks, perhaps they'll leave those in, or better yet, remake them in classical stlyle! High School and College bands do that all the time for football games. That would be awesome!

Shadow Ganon

Smash Cadet
Darn. I'm learning French in school not Latin. I dont even know if latin is an option. Oh well. Either way it would be cool if it was a secret message hidden in the song but most likely its just a song and nothing else. It makes the trailer looks even cooler. And i highley doubt that ALL the songs would be classical orchistra music like that.

asianpride3491

Smash Ace
Maybe theres some super secret spoilers they are waiting for us to decode in the Latin chorus. I mean, the voices sound a lot like giberish, but i dont know Latin so i shouldnt be talking. Those of you who know Latin should listen and see if there is anything whatsoever that you can make out, and we can start at that maybe.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Dragon Jedi0 said:
Me too! As for the progressive rock tracks, perhaps they'll leave those in, or better yet, remake them in classical stlyle! High School and College bands do that all the time for football games. That would be awesome!

Damm, good idea... haha what if instead of the actual final destinations ong... Uematsu do the version of Brawl with real instruments and with his band "Black mage".....that woUDL rock my socks... higly unlikely tho XD

Darn. I'm learning French in school not Latin. I dont even know if latin is an option. Oh well. Either way it would be cool if it was a secret message hidden in the song but most likely its just a song and nothing else. It makes the trailer looks even cooler. And i highley doubt that ALL the songs would be classical orchistra music like that.
me too but Sakurai itself said it in the brawl official website, so ill blieve that.

Or maybe they are pronouncing them perfectly...? America definitely does NOT pronounce foreign languages correctly.

lol yeh u are right.

Hat Hair

Smash Cadet
I say we look at the guy's past works--those of the Final Fantasy series. Were those songs in Latin, too? I know we could get the translations, but if they're in Japanese and not Latin, then my cause is lost.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
well, from The FF series, i dont rememebr a song in latin from him.... but i think that the rearranged metal version of the "ONe Winged Angel " theme from the FF advent children (which is sephirot´s theme in FF7) has some vocal parts which are in latin too.

The only part of that song that i understand is "Sephirot!...Sephirot"... lol

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Hydde said:
well, from The FF series, i dont rememebr a song in latin from him.... but i think that the rearranged metal version of the "ONe Winged Angel " theme from the FF advent children (which is sephirot´s theme in FF7) has some vocal parts which are in latin too.

The only part of that song that i understand is "Sephirot!...Sephirot"... lol
Don't you mean "Sephiroth?"

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Uematsu's One Winged Angel did have Latin, even in the Final Fantasy 7 version. The lyrics are primarily taken from Carl Orff's opera, Carmina Burana (and the song O Fortuna, I think). Those lyrics don't really mean much... and, also of note, they were incorrectly translated in some parts, such as using the feminine form on Sephiroth, a male character. The lyrics I remember are things like "glorioso generosa" or something to that effect... basically, the song's about Sephiroth's godliness and the singers begging for mercy. I don't think that gives too much insight into SSBB's song- just that Uematsu uses Latin to sound epic and to avoid a chorus from simply making random sounds.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Okay, these aren't the lyrics, but it'd be funny if they were:

A amplus monachus
A vir indutus in rutilus
A muris of levitas vox
A volatilis angelus
A rotundus res of no viscus
A ferreus reputo parvulus
A Vir ex crepusculum
A sono ball of viscus
A volatilis angelus
A victus vulpes volpes , per a lux lucis of nex
A procerus frater
A amplus crocus unus
A no miles militis
A serpent
A incendia koopa
quod a Malum Manus manus

...Errr.. thanks to a translator.

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
qdMbp said:
Uematsu's One Winged Angel did have Latin, even in the Final Fantasy 7 version. The lyrics are primarily taken from Carl Orff's opera, Carmina Burana (and the song O Fortuna, I think). Those lyrics don't really mean much... and, also of note, they were incorrectly translated in some parts, such as using the feminine form on Sephiroth, a male character. The lyrics I remember are things like "glorioso generosa" or something to that effect... basically, the song's about Sephiroth's godliness and the singers begging for mercy. I don't think that gives too much insight into SSBB's song- just that Uematsu uses Latin to sound epic and to avoid a chorus from simply making random sounds.
nice info, didnt knew this, but had an idea that this was the meaning....

well now we just have to decipher what the guys say in the Brawl tune...

maybe by investigating about the singers we can get some results :confused:

MetalGearLink

Smash Apprentice
does enyone have the written lyrics in latin?? I know spanish and spanish is very similar to latin, I clould understand half of what the roman soldiers said in the pasion of the christ. so maybe I could do a somewhat decent translation

Dragon Jedi0

Smash Rookie
My mom used to sing in latin during her time in the Choir at her college. I played the song for her, but being that college was a while back, she could only make out Merci and "Night". From that, and the feel of the instruments (which is in my blood; I come from a long line of musicians) I think that the song is just singing about the honorable battles between close friends and how some resemble the day vs the night analogy in myths and legends. You know just a friendly competition amoung friends.....WITH EXPLOSIONS!!!!! :flame:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Your... blood tells ya that, hmm? Well, I think that'd be a fine set of lyrics. Nothing wrong with throwing around Jungian psychology in video games...
Just noticed. The lyrics are not by Nobuo, but by game director Sakurai. Looking at One Winged Angel and the such probably won't be too helpful...
It really is impossible to hear the lyrics. From what I did understand, and the title (a Main Theme with Emotion), I think it goes through the various emotions related to battling friends. Of course, the only word I really caught was "happiness", or some happy cognate (alegria), Whataver- opera in english is hard to understand, Italian completely difficult... why try the Japanese accented Latin? (the credits are given to a Japanese opera singer, so that is why I'm assuming there'd be a japanese accent)

Zodiac

Smash Master
One winged Anegel

Best part

Veni veni venias ne me mori facias, veni veni venias ne me mor facias.

Gloriosa is the part that plays layed on that,

but anyway, I wish somone would translate these lyrics, I would ahve done so myself, but I dont know latin.

OnYourMark

オンヨマク いつも
May as well let THE INTERPRETER (that's me ^__^) translate it! I'll try my best... if I can understand what the pronunciation is. btw, Latin doesn't suck. It's one of the better languages in the world.
Has anyone found the Latin lyrics yet? That might help (a lot). Be back later.

ScaryMunky

Smash Journeyman
If you download the main theme from www.smashbros.com, there's one part where the music cuts out and they're still singing, but I can't make out any of that regardless. At least there's no trailer sound effects in the way, so if you're really that interested, download the theme from the site.

Top Bottom